996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

orange colored gunk under oil cap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Question orange colored gunk under oil cap?

hello!

i'm hoping that someone has some suggetion, info, or advice for me.

yesterday, i went to check the oil in the '99 996. when i took off the oil cap, i noticed some orangish colored gunky stuff on the inside of the cap. someone told me that they thought it was probably coolant mixing in with the oil? i've not noticed any smoke, and the car seems to run just fine. i check the oil every 1K and change it every 4K.

someone else suggested that it may be a head gasket?

i have no idea if anyone has ever experienced this before? i have an appointment to have it looked at next week, but if you guys think it's something major, i don't want to drive the car until the appointment.

any ideas?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Lazerblade is on a distinguished road
I don't know the answer but coolant in the oil is not good at all. Someone here will know though.

A girl who checks her own oil. how cool is that.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Smile

Originally Posted by Lazerblade
I don't know the answer but coolant in the oil is not good at all. Someone here will know though.

A girl who checks her own oil. how cool is that.
well...hehe...i did double check to MAKE SURE it was the oil that i was checking and NOT putting oil into the coolant! hahaha!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
well...hehe...i did double check to MAKE SURE it was the oil that i was checking and NOT putting oil into the coolant! hahaha!
I think your awesome Jody.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lazerblade
I think your awesome Jody.
right back atcha paul! glad to have you as a 6speed buddy!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:53 PM
home_grown is on a distinguished road
aw you two are sooo cute. <33

who normally does your oil changes? did you notice it the last time? did you scrape it out and see if it reappears after some driving?

it may be coolant but I would be more tempted to think its probably just some gunk/grime/ and grease none of which are good. but better than coolant. maybe some clown from a shop spilled something on there, who knows.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM
hi home grown,

well, i just noticed it about 2 weeks after the dealership changed the oil. they never mentioned anything at the oil change, and i had never noticed it before, so i was a bit surprised to see it. my fear is that if i called them and mentioned the issue, that they would have me come in and it would cost $$$ to have it looked at. so, before doing so, i wanted to get some opinions from you guys before my appointment.

thanks for your info! i appreciate your feedback! =)

Old 10-26-2007, 10:00 PM
hmmm, ask them about it. they may just have a simple answer over the phone ya know? Worth a shot, but sounds to me it was put there if it appeared after the dealership performed the oil change.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 PM
you're probably right. i just hoped that it was something common. lol! i didn't think that it was....but wishful thinking, i guess. wink*

Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
well then let us all hope it's something simple!

Old 10-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I knew you would get some good advice. I was just stalling.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:07 PM
thanks much! i'll be sure and letcha know! i'll be pouting, because if it's a head gasket.....ouch!!! $$$$! oh well. i guess you have to pay to play! =)

thanks for responding to my thread =)

Old 10-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
No way it is a head gasket. It would blow smoke like I told you. I have a great dea have the hubby bring the car to my house with 9qts of Mobile 1 and a oil filter and we will find out. No worries just let me know and we can set up a day. I will aloso help pull the plugs and look at those that will be another place to see any issues if there is one.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:25 PM
josh....you're the best!

too bad he's going to miss out on the drive on sunday. he'll be there in spirit! or, he'll get the phone call should i get in any trouble. i'm notorious for it! hahaha! shredded tires....air patrol....rangers...etc. =P

Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Carrie will be with me to get my **** out of the clink if need be..Do not forget I don't have my V1 yet and I will be pushed to lead a route I have never driven.. aww **** oh well when I am on house arrest I will have more then enough time to do the oil and plugs in the black beast.

See this is how I prove the lift is an "investment"...Loook how much money I will save y friends and not pay my mech.

Positive spin all the time!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: orange colored gunk under oil cap?