996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New key for the car.... Carrera GT style!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
New key for the car.... Carrera GT style!

I got a crappy/teared key with my car and I wanted to get a replacement asap... I didn't wanted to go thru the reprograming hassle and wanted just to switch cases with a new one and put my own blade on the new casing.
I came accross to an ebay porsche dealer (suncoast) and they had the Carrera GT style (original Porsche product) with the 911 stamp instead of the carrera gt. Swapping the internals was an easy task, the blade is spring held with a detent, the remote controller fits perfectly (the LED lights the "911" logo when you press the buttons), the only carefull thing is to transfer the "transponder" to the new unit. This is one little glass capsule with some transmitter inside that goes from your old key, to the new one. The blank comes with one generic one that you need to take out first and then you put your in. In my case, my transponder was loose, so I applied a little bit of hot-glue to it to keep it in place. Final product: Awesome! All 996 should had this mod. The old key sucks in comparison.
Cost: $129.
Please tell me what you think.

regards,

Last edited by JoelPirela; 02-22-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 02-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Banned
redSVTbull has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Little details like this always put a smile on my face

Old 02-22-2008, 06:33 PM
silversurfer22 is on a distinguished road
Sweets. How did you open the key case?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
with a plastic spatula... really easy. The keychain was a gift from my Porsche dealer. It matches my car! (how metrosexual!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Liv2Drive is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
I got a crappy/teared key with my car and I wanted to get a replacement asap... I didn't wanted to go thru the reprograming hassle and wanted just to switch cases with a new one and put my own blade on the new casing.
I came accross to an ebay porsche dealer (suncoast) and they had the Carrera GT style (original Porsche product) with the 911 stamp instead of the carrera gt. Swapping the internals was an easy task, the blade is spring held with a detent, the remote controller fits perfectly (the LED lights the "911" logo when you press the buttons), the only carefull thing is to transfer the "transponder" to the new unit. This is one little glass capsule with some transmitter inside that goes from your old key, to the new one. The blank comes with one generic one that you need to take out first and then you put your in. In my case, my transponder was loose, so I applied a little bit of hot-glue to it to keep it in place. Final product: Awesome! All 996 should had this mod. The old key sucks in comparison.
Cost: $129.
Please tell me what you think.
regards,

That's tight Joel, nice first mod. Funny thing is this is the EXACT fist thing I bought as well. Love the flashing '911' when you press the button.
Suncoast is a good place to buy from.

Jury's still out on the metro keychain.. lol.. just PLEASE don't get shoes to match ok???

Old 02-23-2008, 10:56 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
yep. I did the GT one awhile back. I used the entire key and had it programmed.

either way, excellent mod.

jorge

Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
i like it alot!!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:40 AM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
Have one for a few years now. Always get compliments from others.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
thats cool

Old 02-23-2008, 02:31 PM
vick57 is on a distinguished road
that's outstanding! i want one. the keys i got with my car look like the dog chewed on them. and it lights up: car geek bling!

update: i just ordered one from suncoast.

Last edited by vick57; 02-23-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:00 PM
hph
hph is on a distinguished road
This is super nice.. i want one ...

Old 02-23-2008, 06:21 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
been there done that....but YES! It is a MUCH BETTER key than the one the car came with! I also like that the 911 lights up when pressed.

here is a pic...mine is the top key, middle is of course F car and the bottom one is a real GT3 key.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
PhantomMoneyPit is on a distinguished road
love it

Old 02-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Doc_Porsche will become famous soon enoughDoc_Porsche will become famous soon enough
my next mod.....nice pics...

Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
do they make any that fit the 1999 911s???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New key for the car.... Carrera GT style!