996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Exhaust rattle or something else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:07 AM
hblocal is on a distinguished road
Exhaust rattle or something else?

Im hearing a rattle by the rear passnger side exhaust area when in idle, coming out of first gear or reversing. I have a stock exhaust and have heard that this is quite a common issue with the internals in a stock exhaust corroding thus causing a rattle. It doesn't seem to be a lose bolt although I wish it was so i can just tighten it to alleviate the annoying rattle!

Should I just take it into the stealership to have them check it and hope they will replace the exhaust or tighten whatever may be lose and rattling? Will they still charge me just to check if it is even coming from the exhaust or somewhere else if my warranty has run out?

Any other conclusions or have people heard the same rattle before and found it to not be the exhaust?

Last thing I want to do is have a stealership check this out for me and to hand me a hefty bill just to tell me it wasn't the exhaust.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 AM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
First, you use a hammer bang on the cats to see if there is any noise. Second, do the same with exhaust cans.

The cats are more likely in this case, but I can be wrong. Now, if the noise came from the cats you can bring your car to a stealership for no charge to replacing them. State laws is on your side. If the noise came from the exhaust cans, you can replace them by shop on EBAY or post a WTB on 6speed and Rennlist. Market price is about $100-$150. If you get lucky some members will donate the cans free of charge excluding shipping fee.

Also, you have the option to upgrade your exhaust cans with aftermarket one, either brand new or used like Fabspeed, GHL, and others. You can even upgrade with a PSE hacked for about $250 parts/labor. GL!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 AM
John Romano is on a distinguished road
I just had the same thing happen. I thought I had a bad lifer the knocking was so bad. Your cats have a mandatory emissions warrantee for 8 years or 80,000 mi. The dealer did it for free. They just don't want to hear that you know it's the cats.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
GTEE83 is on a distinguished road
The OEM cats have a ceramic substrate that can break apart and rattle. Grab a rubber mallet and smack them a few times. That is how I figured out mine had that problem.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:30 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beachside996
The OEM cats have a ceramic substrate that can break apart and rattle. Grab a rubber mallet and smack them a few times. That is how I figured out mine had that problem.
serious or joking? won't smacking them break the ceramics or were you just tapping listening for a rattle?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:48 PM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
Unless you have a bad day, smacking is optional.