996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help! Can't get the hood open!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
jdbaker is on a distinguished road
Help! Can't get the hood open!

I just pulled my '99 996 cab out of storage. YEA. What a long Winter......

Only one problem, I can't get the hood or engine compartment open. The levers are locked. The manual says drivers door open and unlocked and I should be good-to-go. Well, driver door unlocked and open and no luck.

Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:42 AM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
Start your car, drive it around the block. Then see if it will work. For the front hood, on passenger's side door there is a release cable by the door hinge. The rear there is one too, but stupid Porsche engineer installed it behind the left rear tail light.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 PM
CaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enoughCaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enough
If that doesnt work. Post up again and Ill tell u how to fix it. To much to type now

Happened to me 2 nights ago

Old 04-09-2008, 02:12 PM
stanm5 is on a distinguished road
Under the front bumper on the passenger side there is a thin metal wire. Pull it and the boot lid will open.
I had my car for exactly one week when I accidentally closed the boot with my keys inside and the hood latch switch was broken!
Good luck.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 PM
kunkstyle is on a distinguished road
Is the battery charged? I've heard of the hood not opening on a dead battery. Don't know if it applies to the '99s, though.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM
John Romano is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by daytrader
Start your car, drive it around the block. Then see if it will work. For the front hood, on passenger's side door there is a release cable by the door hinge. The rear there is one too, but stupid Porsche engineer installed it behind the left rear tail light.
The one inside the passenger door is for the gas cap.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:43 PM
CaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enoughCaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enough
When the battery dies it releases a slide that covers up a slot so u cant pull the lever anymore. u have to sneak in there and move the slide over using a very thin skinny knife, a light, and steady hands and then u can access it

Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input.

The battery did go dead over the winter but I was able to fully charge it back up and when I went to go pick the car up today, it started right up and I drove it about 15 miles from the "toy garage" to my house.

It still didn't work when I got home after the drive.

I'll use the override cable to open it up so I can take care of what I need in there but if the "knife" operation my only option to fix? What are the odds I'll break something in the process. Seems there has to be a better way.........

Thanks again to everyone for your help so far.

J.D.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 PM
u wont break anything. I will try and get pics of this. I thought it was only because my remote didnt work so i couldnt activate the alarm with the remote.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 PM
All fixed. I cycled the alarm system a few times (arm/lock the disarm/unlock) and it cleared the problem.

Thanks to everyone for thier help.

J.D.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of

Old 05-03-2008, 01:21 PM
simplemind is on a distinguished road
Angry front hood lever is locked 99 996 - battery OK

I have the same problem as JDBAKER, but could not figure out how to fix it. I locked/unlocked alarm with no success. [empty battery during winter, opened front hood via release cable in front of passenger wheel, got new battery, closed hood, cannot open it anymore as lever is locked]

Alternatively, CaRJoE0220, can you get pics?

Old 05-03-2008, 02:19 PM
AllBusinessJoe can only hope to improve
I have the exact opposite problem. I have to slam the hood very hard with hand pressure the whole way down to get it to latch. I don't even open my hood anymore because I'm sure the hood will push in if I continue to use it. I had the dealer take a look at it and the work order stated they sprayed it with lube and it works fine. However, when I got it home and tried it there was no change.

Anybody have any tips on how to adjust this properly?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
simplemind is on a distinguished road
CaRjoeE0220, can you help with pics of that "slide" you move with a knife.. I can't figure it out

Old 06-19-2008, 10:21 PM
jpohl402 will become famous soon enoughjpohl402 will become famous soon enough
RE: a dead battery....

What is this release cable you are talking about?
In my experience, when the battery goes dead I open driver side fusebox near pedals, slide out red positive contact, find a good ground, and power up the hood release.....

Do I do things the difficult way??

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Can't get the hood open!