996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help! Can't get the hood open!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:26 AM
CaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enoughCaRJoE0220 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by simplemind
CaRjoeE0220, can you help with pics of that "slide" you move with a knife.. I can't figure it out
Im at work now and the P-Car is at home. I will attempt to get pics later tonight. Pics may be hard to get but I will try my hardest

Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I had the micro switch and locking mechanism on my 99 996 go bad, so I bought a brand new cable and replacement locking mechanism.....but before I could install it my car caught fire and was totalled....so I still have the lock and cable in my P car parts closet. I'd be willing to sell the whole kit and kaboodle for a quick $75. I think the micro switch itself costs around $75. It only works for the 99 with the mechanical hood release...the 00/01 went to the electronic-release.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Danie502 is on a distinguished road
Help please!

Originally Posted by stanm5
Under the front bumper on the passenger side there is a thin metal wire. Pull it and the boot lid will open.
I had my car for exactly one week when I accidentally closed the boot with my keys inside and the hood latch switch was broken!
Good luck.
How do I get to this wire?? My car is a right hand drive 2003 carrera 4 conv. I've tried all the other fixes listed here but can't get the alarm to shut up when I connect power to the pull out terminal in the fuse box. Could be because I've been unlocking the car with the key in the door lock since the remote lost it's sync with the alarm a while ago.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
You should do a search here as well as on Rennlist. There has been a LOT written up on this subject complete with pictures....it's actually behind the headlight and you can take out the side parking light sometimes and see it lying up behind the headlight, or else also take off the front wheel and forward wheel well liner to see up in there. You're looking for a silver braided wire with a loop on the end. Since your car is right hand drive, I'm not sure which side they put the emergency cable release wire on. For lh drives, it's on the passenger side.

You can also look up the writeups on how to sync your remote alarm to the key fob. Sorr that you're having such a time with it....it can be frustrating.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:28 PM
delirium is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jpohl402
RE: a dead battery....

What is this release cable you are talking about?
In my experience, when the battery goes dead I open driver side fusebox near pedals, slide out red positive contact, find a good ground, and power up the hood release.....

Do I do things the difficult way??
Thats what I did too since the owners manual said to do it this way, is there an easier way? Do all cars have this thin wire under the bumper?