996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Shipping a car from Europe to North America

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
Question Shipping a car from Europe to North America

hi guys, i've been in europe for the last 3 years and have a daily driver here that i would like to take back to NA, but i have no idea on where to start with shipping a car, It's just a Seat, and not a p-car or anything very pricey, but it just seems to be the perfect daily driver, and if i can get the car to NA for around $3000 then i would.
Any links to a shipping company or advice would be much appreciated.
Also would i have any issues with bumper regulations or safety restrictions in NA? and will registering it be possible? The car is a 2006 model if that helps
Thanks
Shalil
oh, sorry for the cross post, just put the post where i think it may be applicable.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:28 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know what kind of registration issues you may run into. Since Seat are not sold in the US, it could be quite costly.

For shipping, it should not cost you more than $2k for the ocean cargo portion. Contact Phoenix International or any other reputable freight broker. They can usually arrange the entire transit point-to-point for you.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Steve Germany will become famous soon enough
It's not going to worth your effort. You will have to post a bond on the car while it get retrofitted to NA standards at one of the few bonded converters. The emissions (EPA) certification is the big problem.

http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/ent...ingyourcar.htm

Last edited by Steve Germany; 05-18-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:38 PM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
This probably will never happen due to the US restrictions on cars like these, and if it did you'd have to pay a duty on top of it.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
porschenut911 is on a distinguished road
Buy one from here, will be cheaper and easier.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
European is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to behold
Sell it in Europe and buy a car when you get here. With an exchange rate of $1.55 for a Euro, you can probably sell your Seat for E10,000 which is $15,000. For $15,000 you can buy a new VW Golf in USA. Almost the same car.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:45 PM
XLR8N is on a distinguished road
I shipped a euro-spec BMW 850csi and had it DOT converted. Total cost was $15,000. Do that math.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
I was thinking about doing the same with a newer Alpha Romeo that i liked while in Italy. Was turned off by the cost and BS you have to go through. i would think BMW would be easier to convert since they already sell BMWs here and use many of the same parts. SEAT doesn't have any dealers here.....http://www.seat.co.uk/ is the only one i could find in the web.

may be rather difficult.

g/l anyway

jorge

Old 05-20-2008, 04:46 PM
XLR8N is on a distinguished road
To import a car that was never imported to the US is pretty much impossible. I heard of people trying to import a BMW M3csl with no luck. It might be possible if it is an older car.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM
European is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to beholdEuropean is a splendid one to behold
You don't have to do any mods if the car is 25+ years old. Currently, you can import into USA a 1984 and older without any problems. See the website below. It also lists all the cars which you can and can't import.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/

Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
ya, seems like she's gonna get sold here guys, thanks for all the input!!
Damit, now i can't pack it full of parts for my 996 before it gets shipped!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Just out of curiosity, where is Europe are you?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 PM
i'm in Hungary at the moment, but will be home bound mid June...(and home is Edmonton Canada)