996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Engine Swap...Here's what I found out...

Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lilstan
If it were me, i would spend the extra money and install the 3.8L, assuming you wanted to keep the car stock (no supercharger) and the factory warranty. It's a hell of a lot more HP then the 3.4. That's just my opinion tho...
Euro 3.4 hp = 325 - $13,000 installed
3.8 hp = 351 - $20k+ install (no core swap, rewire, etc etc)

I would bet for $7k I can find 26 more hp in that engine. Man, I truely wish I had $20k+ laying around to do this. Then again I would have bought an 04 CPO from the beginning

Old 06-26-2008, 08:25 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
I am really sorry to hear that the lifter fix failed. Good luck on finding a decent deal out there somewhere.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 PM
pjalexandre is on a distinguished road
MCM,

since you are pricing reman/new engines and not using a core... Price out a 3.6 x51. You may be pleasantly surprised with that one.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
never heard of the euro 3.4 cars having extra HP. But then I never specifically looked either .

Old 06-26-2008, 11:49 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pjalexandre
MCM,

since you are pricing reman/new engines and not using a core... Price out a 3.6 x51. You may be pleasantly surprised with that one.
rewire nightmare from what everyone says. Please educate me differently. My war paint is on after today.
Porsche NA is trying to bend me over. Ya know what I find interesting...how easy it is to buy domain names and build web sites. $14k for a new engine from a "perforance car" company...ok, cool...fine. Bend me over. Lets see what happens in a few months when someone does a search on "porsche + engine failure"

Last edited by MCM97; 06-26-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:24 AM
Flyer007 is on a distinguished road
Did you try Suncoast?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Putting in a 3.6 or 3.6 x51 is "identical". I would be wary of the so called internet experts unless they have had this done or know how to do it themselves.

Like I said before... Call up Roock in Atlanta... They do these for a living. Did my 3.4 to 3.6 conversion, did a buddies 2.7 to 3.4 and countless others. No guess work involved.

For the 3.6 they will likely use Protomotive for the DME remapping, otherwise they use Softronic.

Originally Posted by MCM97
rewire nightmare from what everyone says. Please educate me differently. "

Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean everyone aka the keyboard warriors...I meant the stealership. I'll look into this again. Plus there is an issue with the core swap

Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
I am in the process of trying to find a 3.8 block and using 3.2 crank and pistons. It should end up being a 3.5/3.6 but the compression will be around 9:1 instead of the11.1:1. I will then use the Supercharger already on the car and make some real power. Frankenboxster!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Oh yes, the stealership will not want to talk to you about that option at all.. You have to talk to a tuning shop that knows how to do this conversion. I can only speak to the one that did my car and my friends car. They laid it all out ahead of time and told me what they would need to do and how much it would cost.

Yes, you do have an issue with the core charge since Porsche will only accept the same exact engine for the core as the one you buy.

No doubt that if you are only looking at new reman engines from porsche then the 3.4 direct replacement is the most cost effective and least painless method. Period.

But if you are considering all the other choices 3.4 x51, 3.6, 3.6 x51, 3.8, 3.8 x51.. The 3.6 X51 may be your best bang/buck since it requires a lot less integration then the 3.8 based units.

The 3.6s are very happy in the early 996s and do provide a very nice upgrade in power right from the start.

-Paul

Sorry, I didn't mean everyone aka the keyboard warriors...I meant the stealership. I'll look into this again. Plus there is an issue with the core swap

Old 06-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Flyer007 is on a distinguished road
Pj..... I would love detail on the 3.4 to 3.6 conversion that you did. So far across Renntech and here yours is the first that seems to have gone painless.

1. What DME are you using? Softronic doesn't map the 5.2.2 version of the early 99' C2s
2. I think I saw that you kept it non-eGas? So again how did this work with a DME change (if any)
3. Any rewiring needed?
4. Run like a top from start or lots of tuning required to get her smooth?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Did you run the 3.4 TB and intake on the 3.6 X51?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Let me preface all this that the experts are at Roock in atlanta; not behind my keyboard
1) My original DME was/is 5.2.2. Protomotive did the tuning for my application.

2) Yes. The engine doesn't care if it is e-gas or a cable. Mechanically the 3.6 drops right in place of the 3.4. The 3.4s Cable throttle and matching plenum (the black plastic T) mate up to the stock intake components of the 3.6. This is much simpler then trying to retrofit e-gas into a car that doesn't have it. There really is no downside to this approach. The 3.4s throttle body was machined to be the same size as the 3.6.

3) only rewiring that I am aware of was to route all of the variocam plus specific wiring to a RPM switch to activate/deactive it at specific RPMs and with a delay relay so that both banks don't fire simultaneously.

4) Since you are starting with a baseline HP of 320 and likely more since it is afterall chiped you have quite a bit more to work with than a 3.4 will.

It runs like a top now and walks away from any heavily modded 3.4 that any of my friends have brought around. I have stock headers and cats, aftermarket exhaust and evoms intake. I have no idea how it ran before it was tuned, likely not very well considering the 3.4 to 3.6 fuel maps and complete lack of variocam plus.

Originally Posted by Flyer007
Pj..... I would love detail on the 3.4 to 3.6 conversion that you did. So far across Renntech and here yours is the first that seems to have gone painless.

1. What DME are you using? Softronic doesn't map the 5.2.2 version of the early 99' C2s
2. I think I saw that you kept it non-eGas? So again how did this work with a DME change (if any)
3. Any rewiring needed?
4. Run like a top from start or lots of tuning required to get her smooth?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by pjalexandre

2) Yes. The engine doesn't car if it is e-gas or a cable. The 3.4s Cable throttle and matching plenum (the black plastic T) mate up to the stock intake components of the 3.6.
so you can do the swap on eGas or cable?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:23 PM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
so you can do the swap on eGas or cable?

I didnt know that! Very interesting!!!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Swap...Here's what I found out...