996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Engine Swap...Here's what I found out...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
so what to do? A new 3.4 or maybe (dare I say) and LS1 swap?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 PM
scantu is on a distinguished road
I had mine rebuilt for $4400 in Austin TX. I even upgraded to all ARP bolts studs and better bearings.. LNE cam paddles, new chains/LNE guides and LNE IMS bearing....

I paid a total of $5500 installed 6 month 12k warranty! I have 10k miles on the rebuild and couldt be happier.

Im sure with as many guys on this board, we can find you a place to allow your wallet to take a break!

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 AM
logray will become famous soon enoughlogray will become famous soon enough
Interesting Sergio.

As far as I know there are not aftermarket main/rod bearings available (yet).

On your rebuild was there any treatment of the cylinders, or did they just reuse your existing pistons and just re-ring them. If so, did they measure bore/taper for wear and was it within the acceptable limits?

Also you said that LN supplied paddles and guides, but do you mean the main billet tensioner? I don't see any other guides or ramps in their catalog other than the main IMS tensioner paddle.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Question

Originally Posted by MCM97
Someone posted a 3.8 997s engine in the other thread for sale for $7100. I got all sorts of hell bent on having that put in. HOWEVER, after much research I found out this this is feasable BUT at a giant cost. On top of the engine you also need: DME, harness, some serious rewire, new airbox and a new exhaust. All in all that's about $13,000 - $15,000 in parts depending on what you have and if you can talk Porsche into taking you 3.4 core. Add about 50 hours of labor if its not something you do everyday and you're looking in the neighborhood of $17,500 to $20,000!
I'm not sure about this, but i remember reading a thread previously about the swap only requiring some retuning (that's possibly a 3.6 to 3.8 swap, not 3.4 to 3.8) so that might alleviate some of the DME, harness, and rewire.. but i'm not certain.

As for the airbox, if the 997 airbox fits the 996.. would the reverse be true? for that matter, i've seen people install a K&N FIPK 996 intake into a 997 (albeit a 3.6).

As for the exhaust, as per this thread; https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-headers.html fabspeed implies that the headers on the 996 and 997 are the same, also their catalytic converters are interchangeable, so i'm not sure why you'd need a new exhaust?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 AM
scantu is on a distinguished road
gray,

I thought the same about the bearings.... but when my mechanic asked me if i wanted the standard or "better" bearings, I assumed there was an aftermarket. I took the time to research my invoice for you and found that the cam paddles are stock and LN supplied the main IMS tensioner paddle as you stated.

The block was "x-rayed" and found to have no cracks and did not need to sleeve. we reused my existing pistons and just re-ringed them. The block was reworked.

Great job for what i paid.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
This one has 30K miles. 6.000$ including exhausts. However international shipping may cost...
http://www.car.gr/parts/view/600972/

Old 10-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by scantu
...standard or "better" bearings...
My guess is this he meant the IMS bearing. Because the main and rod bearings are only available from Porsche AFAIK. I believe Flat 6 is developing aftermarket bearings, but they are not ready yet. I would be interested to know for sure if the main and rod bearings were aftermarket, since this would be the first I've heard of them.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 PM
KarlSpackler is on a distinguished road
Lol, I am coming from the BMW community and buying my first Porsche and DAMN does Porsche rape people

13-15k to replace an engine is astronomical.

I say go LS1 or LS2. Motor should be roughly the same $$$ and find a shop who builds cars and have them fab you up a set of mounts. Go from there.

I put an SR20DET in a BMW and it was pretty easy in all reality

Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by KarlSpackler
...13-15k to replace an engine is astronomical.

I say go LS1 or LS2. Motor should be roughly the same $$$ and find a shop who builds cars and have them fab you up a set of mounts. Go from there.

I put an SR20DET in a BMW and it was pretty easy in all reality
Example www.renegadehybrids.com

Although in my opinion most P-car owners are purists and would not go down that route.

In any case, if you plan to keep the car forever then by all means Frankenstein the hell out of it.

Otherwise, there are certainly more resalable alternatives out there.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Playersexpress is on a distinguished road
Have you talked to Jake Raby and his shop Flat 6 Innovations? The guy know more about Porsche engines and rebuilding/tuning than almost anyone in the industry.

Give him a ring and he will be honest with you and more than helpful, even if the route he suggests has nothing to do with his shop or making a sale. I know because I've had the pleasure of speaking with him about one of my problems.