996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Post Your High Mileage Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:37 PM
soothsayer will become famous soon enough
I understand where both of you are coming from. I have colleagues that commute their 911 more than I commute my DD and they have no stand out problems. Mine is a garage queen weekend toy cause I prefer it that way..I enjoy driving it on nice nights for what I call therapy sessions...and I dont want to get desensitized to it by commuting with it, its special in that way to me.. But I knew what I was buying it for from the get go. I dont think that makes me a 'poser'...but if it does, I dont give a crap. Having said that, I think theres a guy on here that has 180k on a turbo. Plenty of owners drive their 911s daily with no major issues.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:41 PM
hatr is on a distinguished road
Wow, some of you guys really drive the sh_t out of your 996s. I love it.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:54 AM
kunkstyle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hatr
That's what I bought mine for

Approx. 100 km to work and back. Managed to put on 12,000 km on it in the 4 months I've owned it (first two weeks I didn't drive it, though...). Should be breaking the 100,000 km mark by August.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 AM
GREERJ1 is on a distinguished road
I just went over 90,00k in an 01 c2. I don't DD the car due to the stop and go trip through Boston, But I do drive some nights during the week and it is my weekend car for golf down on sunny Cape Cod or just tooling around with my wife and several track days per year. I have only done the regular maintenance, but i will be doing a clutch and RMS in a week or so. I just junked a 96 Mercury Gran Marquis with 270,000 miles on it. I would expect these cars to be able to compete in that arena with proper care.
James Greer

Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 AM
fastbydrmike is on a distinguished road
I think the high milage cars are great if well taking care of. My car is a 01 with only 37000 miles but my friend has a 01 turbo with 98,000 miles and is a daily driver and he drives it hard. These cars are built to last and to be driven.

Mike

Old 07-24-2008, 06:28 AM
JoeyM will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by soothsayer
I understand where both of you are coming from. I have colleagues that commute their 911 more than I commute my DD and they have no stand out problems. Mine is a garage queen weekend toy cause I prefer it that way..I enjoy driving it on nice nights for what I call therapy sessions...and I dont want to get desensitized to it by commuting with it, its special in that way to me.. But I knew what I was buying it for from the get go. I dont think that makes me a 'poser'...but if it does, I dont give a crap. Having said that, I think theres a guy on here that has 180k on a turbo. Plenty of owners drive their 911s daily with no major issues.
I just want to add, that I don't think there is anything at all wrong with having a Porsche as a 'garage queen', mint show car, fun car, track toy, or whatever.

how you enjoy your porsche is none of my business, and if that is what gives you the most pleasure out of it, then you are absolutely doing the best thing.

i am just saying, the porsche makes a fine DD if you so choose to.

i have to admit, the porsche was never a dream car for me. i have been a car guy for about as long as i could walk. i always respected porsches, but never yearned to own one.

now that i have had a few, i feel like i finally get it. for me i see MY porsche like this:

it's a car with supercar performance that I can drive everyday, without all the fuss or muss of supercar-dom.

today we are lucky. there are lots of cars that can do this, such as the R8, GT-R, etc...but even just a few years ago, this wasn't the case.

ferrari speed with better reliability and 'practicality', who wouldnt want one?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
That's what they are made for. Can't let 'em rot in a garage somwhere.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Last Car
I think it's Fuse "A5"....but make sure your bulb is okay and your wires are not broken.
Hope this helps,
No maual yet. Where is the junction box located?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
That's what they are made for. Can't let 'em rot in a garage somwhere.

I tend to agree. I don't think I would be able to resist driving it everyday if i had one.

That one guy said the 911 is impractical and uncomfortable and basically unreliable. Do you guys agree? My main concern with getting one is not the way it drives ( because I just know I will love it in that regard) but the comfort and reliability factor. I'd hate to have any car of mine in the shop all the time and to me, there is nothing worse when you are driving than not being comfortable. I drive from Vegas to California regularly and would need it to be a comfortable long distance cruiser.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JoeyM
lots of incorrect statements here. i dont know why i am bothering to reply, i guess i'm bored. but let's see:

1. you have to stop arguing "practical". because practicality and sports cars never go together. you are not being practical either, because to be practical would be to not buy a porsche at all in the first place. just by buying one, you are being impractical. who is more practical: someone who blows a lot of money on a toy he only enjoys on the weekends, or someone who blows a little more money but enjoys his toy everyday?

2. yet as a daily commuter it is very practical for a lot of reasons. "it's small" is a good thing. it's easy to park, has great visibility and gets much better mileage than an SUV. i am sure the majority of time on the average americans commute, their vehicle transports one person. why do you need something bigger? for your briefcase? even a door to door encyclopedia salesman would have enough room for a couple of sets.

3. "people look at you"? first who cares? and second, my silver 996TT gets pretty much no attention where i live. except maybe when i'm blowing by subarus traveling 40 mph and i'm moving along at 45 mph in a blizzard. "watch out for curbs"? how often do you hit curbs? if i commuted in my soft cushy luxury sedan, i would still avoid curbs. even in my 3500 pickup, i dont hit curbs. and the roads are horrible in the northeast, and i havent bent one yet. and if you do, excuse to buy new wheels, which you like to do anyways.

4. it's stiff and loud? again, that's personal preference. i would rather listen to the motor and have that tight suspension for the turns than travel in a numb luxury sedan. i think a lot of people on this board may feel the same way. i have a bunch of cars, everyday i walk pass a line of keys. i honestly just grab the porsche keys cuz its straight up the easiest and most "practical" of my sporty cars to drive on a long commute and the sedan with the sick sound system and cushy ride doesnt appeal at all to me most of the time.

5. you track crap into it? yeah well, cars get dirty, and there's always this new invention called a vacuum. you would never buy a porsche that was a DD? again, who cares. maybe he never plans to sell it. maybe he will keep it long enough, so that the difference in resale value between high mileage and low mileage cars will be minimal. or maybe he makes enough money not to care about resale value. cuz again, if resale really matters to you, be practical and dont buy a porsche at all.

6. get a beater for $5k? maybe he just doesn't want to drive a $5k POS every day. i know i dont. and i actually own one car that could fit in this category. funny, i never want to drive it.

7. listen, you are at the stage in your life, where this car is your show vehicle. or it's your fun vehicle, weekend vehicle, whatever. i understand that. i've owned (and still own) garage queens. (and btw, those cars get driven in bad weather too, but the only reason i dont commute in those, is that they will in fact break if i used them like the porsches and those do attract too much attention).

BUT the OP asked if he could drive it like an accord. the answer to this simple question is YES. the car is reliable enough to do so as proven by many here. to say that this is stupid advice is really short-sighted.

who knows, maybe to the OP, this will be his $5k beater.

anyways, flame away!
absolutely inane post.

-how often do people b!tch and complain about people parking (gasp) next to their 911s at the mall parking lot for fear of a ding happening? **** happens. avoid **** happening by driving your "beater" car where you can actually haul ****. costco runs. wtf are you going to do when you need to actually get your porsche modified, serviced and you're out of a car for a few days? ride the bus? based on my advice, you're free and clear because you have another PRACTICAL car to drive.

-a car that's been driven everyday shows wear marks on the seats, on the steering wheel, on the exterior, everywhere. there is a difference. simple wear and tear of ingress/egress, people, stuff being transported, etc. to keep your car in tip top shape, have the option to drive another car you own for those times when you expect to track **** into it. dogs for example. packages for example.

-other than $$$, there is no good reason to daily drive a 911. absolutely none. having another car offers additional value that having 1 car, 1 small **** sports car simply cannot begin to provide. do you guys GET it?

serious dumb fuqs obsessed with their 911s online you guys really should charge for your insane posts. it's pure entertainment. sure you can drive your 911 everyday like an accord WAHAHAHAH, but to give advice to someone to actually do it jus cuz it's doable is absolutely misleading and asinine. it's like telling someone you CAN wear your Brand Jordan shoes everyday. well ya can, but you're a dumb **** if you really do.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 07-24-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
nineninesixer! is on a distinguished road
I tend to agree. I don't think I would be able to resist driving it everyday if i had one.

That one guy said the 911 is impractical and uncomfortable and basically unreliable. Do you guys agree? My main concern with getting one is not the way it drives ( because I just know I will love it in that regard) but the comfort and reliability factor. I'd hate to have any car of mine in the shop all the time and to me, there is nothing worse when you are driving than not being comfortable. I drive from Vegas to California regularly and would need it to be a comfortable long distance cruiser.
I have KWV3 coilovers and 18" Kinesis k28s. Ive driven to Vegas and my back wasnt killing me, I didnt have to stop and stretch or anything. I had an 02 BMW X5 and an 06 5 series and that killed my back on the way to Vegas. For some reason, my back just hates beamers, never have I had good comfort in a beamer.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by nineninesixer!
I have KWV3 coilovers and 18" Kinesis k28s. Ive driven to Vegas and my back wasnt killing me, I didnt have to stop and stretch or anything. I had an 02 BMW X5 and an 06 5 series and that killed my back on the way to Vegas. For some reason, my back just hates beamers, never have I had good comfort in a beamer.

LOL, I hear ya. My Audi can get a bit annoying after about 2 or 3 hours straight and I have to at least get out for a couple of minutes. But my old 98 Eclipse didn't present that problem. I'm 6-2 220 but I was more comfortable in the little Eclipse than my a4. Then again, a4s are kind of notorious for having very average seating.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:57 AM
QEU
QEU is on a distinguished road
keep them coming! i like all the reponses so far.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
JoeyM will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
absolutely inane post.

-how often do people b!tch and complain about people parking (gasp) next to their 911s at the mall parking lot for fear of a ding happening? **** happens. avoid **** happening by driving your "beater" car where you can actually haul ****. costco runs. wtf are you going to do when you need to actually get your porsche modified, serviced and you're out of a car for a few days? ride the bus? based on my advice, you're free and clear because you have another PRACTICAL car to drive.

-a car that's been driven everyday shows wear marks on the seats, on the steering wheel, on the exterior, everywhere. there is a difference. simple wear and tear of ingress/egress, people, stuff being transported, etc. to keep your car in tip top shape, have the option to drive another car you own for those times when you expect to track **** into it. dogs for example. packages for example.

-other than $$$, there is no good reason to daily drive a 911. absolutely none. having another car offers additional value that having 1 car, 1 small **** sports car simply cannot begin to provide. do you guys GET it?

serious dumb fuqs obsessed with their 911s online you guys really should charge for your insane posts. it's pure entertainment. sure you can drive your 911 everyday like an accord WAHAHAHAH, but to give advice to someone to actually do it jus cuz it's doable is absolutely misleading and asinine. it's like telling someone you CAN wear your Brand Jordan shoes everyday. well ya can, but you're a dumb **** if you really do.

a couple of things to remember:

1. the OP said he has 3 other cars to use if he has to. he just asked if he could drive it every day and seemed to be concerned about reliability and high mileage. and again as evidenced by many here, the answer to that question is yes. he never said he plans to transport his dog with it, or go to costco with it. he does have 3 other cars! he probably has enough sense to know he isn't picking up a sheet of plywood with it. but that doesnt mean he cant drive to work everyday back and forth with it.

2. yes, you are right. if you DD your car, it will see more wear from use. nobody is arguing with that. but for a lot of people, those things arent a big deal. and if you're careful, they can be really minimal. if you see my TT with almost 60k miles on it, you would be hard pressed to find many interior scratches (it also doesnt have a single ding, not one). when i was looking for cars i saw many, many cars with 10k miles or less with much worse interiors and exteriors.

3. i think your response is kind of funny, because in essence you are telling someone, who has 3 cars already this:

-yes, you can buy a 911, but don't forget to pick up your $5k beater. because otherwise your 911 could get dinged, scratched, or dirty.

anyways, i am new here. but i already have seen how your posts are very inflammatory, and thats fine. every board usually has someone similar. and you're right, these things can be entertaining.

so i guess in conclusion, i completely disagree with you. but that's ok, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. and i need people like you out there, to keep their cars mint. i enjoy buying used, babied cars that have depreciated and still look like new.

heck, i paid accord money for this last 996, and you know what i think i will treat it like an accord.

who can tell me which way costco is?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:08 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
45k miles with no major problems
owned it for 4 years

use to be my daily driver but cops can't give me tickets for a speeding train =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Post Your High Mileage Porsche