996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Post Your High Mileage Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JoeyM
a couple of things to remember:

1. the OP said he has 3 other cars to use if he has to. he just asked if he could drive it every day and seemed to be concerned about reliability and high mileage. and again as evidenced by many here, the answer to that question is yes. he never said he plans to transport his dog with it, or go to costco with it. he does have 3 other cars! he probably has enough sense to know he isn't picking up a sheet of plywood with it. but that doesnt mean he cant drive to work everyday back and forth with it.

2. yes, you are right. if you DD your car, it will see more wear from use. nobody is arguing with that. but for a lot of people, those things arent a big deal. and if you're careful, they can be really minimal. if you see my TT with almost 60k miles on it, you would be hard pressed to find many interior scratches (it also doesnt have a single ding, not one). when i was looking for cars i saw many, many cars with 10k miles or less with much worse interiors and exteriors.

3. i think your response is kind of funny, because in essence you are telling someone, who has 3 cars already this:

-yes, you can buy a 911, but don't forget to pick up your $5k beater. because otherwise your 911 could get dinged, scratched, or dirty.

anyways, i am new here. but i already have seen how your posts are very inflammatory, and thats fine. every board usually has someone similar. and you're right, these things can be entertaining.

so i guess in conclusion, i completely disagree with you. but that's ok, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. and i need people like you out there, to keep their cars mint. i enjoy buying used, babied cars that have depreciated and still look like new.

heck, i paid accord money for this last 996, and you know what i think i will treat it like an accord.

who can tell me which way costco is?

that's all cool and dandy but the topic was taken to a place where it spoke like the 911 can be driven like an accord. other people read this stuff that may be in a situation where they're looking to daily the 911 which heavily implies it's their one and only automobile.

i too enjoy buying babied cars, and i would still be driving my MINT m3 if not for this MINT c4s i found here on 6speed.

if someone has 3 cars already then obviously it's an entirely diff conversation. it's actually a stupid question, but hey lots of stupid stuff are written online. i have another beater car i happen to love in a diff way than my 911. do i pick it over the 911 usually? hell no. the 911 is an awesome car to drive and it makes commuting, cruising fun.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:24 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
yo benjamin my 996 is my daily driver since the gallardo is the weekend car

j/k, don't have a gallardo yet but someday

Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
erubin will become famous soon enough
Whats cheaper? A Porsche that has been enjoyed everyday and has 100,000 mile on the ODO with a healthy patina or a babied Porsche that sits in the garage and depreciates sitting still. These are cars not fine pieces of art. Get out and drive the **** out of them as often as possible.

Calculate the cost of ownership by the miles of grins they generate divided by the years of ownership. Why save the car for the next person who owns it?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Hobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really nice
I have a 2000 996 cab, bought Nov.1,2007. It had 2500 miles on it. I was looking for a low mileage one owner car. It came with 19in RG5s. I have put clear side markers and a Porsche short shifter, next Monday will be getting new tires. The car has 3500 miles on it now, I use it as a weekend car and plan to keep it for a long time.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
New tires on a car with 3500 miles??

Old 07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by erubin
Whats cheaper? A Porsche that has been enjoyed everyday and has 100,000 mile on the ODO with a healthy patina or a babied Porsche that sits in the garage and depreciates sitting still. These are cars not fine pieces of art. Get out and drive the **** out of them as often as possible.

Calculate the cost of ownership by the miles of grins they generate divided by the years of ownership. Why save the car for the next person who owns it?
As people say, get the newest 911 you can afford and if the newest, best one you can afford is a 100K mile 996, well, you're going to get a well used one with a tired interior as compared to one that's lower miles and babied that only gets out on sunny days if you live in climate like mine.

Just because some people drive their 911 less doesn't mean they put a chastity belt on it. It just means that they may be busy with a thing called life outside of the 911 with obligations like company, family, little kids, baseball practice, salsa, classes, life period.

That makes "as often as possible" highly personal and relative. let's face it guys and this is totally stating the obvious: the market values newer, lower mileage cars and while they all depreciate, ceteris paribus, you're heavily driven, high miles 911 will be WORTH LESS than one that has not been blah blah blah.

so quit harping on people who do garage queen their cars cuz they ain't b!tchin you out for driving yours everyday and treating it like a damn commuter car.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 07-24-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:10 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hatr
I tend to agree. I don't think I would be able to resist driving it everyday if i had one.

That one guy said the 911 is impractical and uncomfortable and basically unreliable. Do you guys agree? My main concern with getting one is not the way it drives ( because I just know I will love it in that regard) but the comfort and reliability factor. I'd hate to have any car of mine in the shop all the time and to me, there is nothing worse when you are driving than not being comfortable. I drive from Vegas to California regularly and would need it to be a comfortable long distance cruiser.
Drove mine from Santa Montica to my house North of Detroit. NEVER did my co-pilot have to drive. No back problems. Smooth on the road. I just didnt want to stop driving it! Then again... I love driving. Bring on the cannonball runs!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:22 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
off topic, can we be a enlarged photo of those two girls on that keg XLR? =D

Old 07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Hobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really nice
Originally Posted by NOLA911
New tires on a car with 3500 miles??
8 year old tires dry and crack, lots of tread left though.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hobby Logger
8 year old tires dry and crack, lots of tread left though.
Wow, I thought it was a misprint... Must be a perfect specimen.

Originally Posted by angldrkns9
off topic, can we be a enlarged photo of those two girls on that keg XLR? =D
I have been wondering the same thing. This is very important to ensure the long life of the 996 engine.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
vick57 is on a distinguished road
2003 C4S
43K miles
daily driver

Old 07-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Curves4S will become famous soon enough
Purchased BRAND NEW in 2003. Look at my signature for the description of the car.

I live in Los Angeles.

87k miles and counting... I DAILY DRIVE the car as well as hit every other turn, on ramp/off ramp, overpass, open stretch of road with conviction. 4 tire screech?...Damn straight, if you know how to drive the *****. Driving is FUN and almost feels like a game.

I would estimate an average of $2k or more spent on the car each year for regular maintenance. ($1200-tires/ oil/ service/ occasional issues etc)

Issues I've had with the car are:

--Radio was acting up in its 3rd year, (Warranty Covered and replaced)
--RMS leak just around 65k (Covered by dealer even though warranty was over) No issues since.
--One replaced clutch at 70k.
--Sagged Motor mounts (replaced).
--Dented rim on a set of 19's SSR Gt3's. Replaced by Hamann step lips which are WAY stronger. Same roads, stronger wheels, no issues.

IMHO, this is the BEST DAILY DRIVE-able car for reasons listed below.
--Decent Gas Mileage I fill up every 260mi but can squeeze 280.
--Great Size, Not too small that it questions your manhood. and not big where it feels like you're wasting gas carrying extra weight.
--Enough cargo room for what I need (Groceries, Girls, etc). I borrow a truck for anything more.
--Exotic enough to be different from everything else on the road. (read: most cars are boring to drive and look at) But not so much that it involves high maintenance.
--Interior Ergonomics are sleek and on point. I have CF interior so I LOVE IT!
--More than enough HP, anything more is kind of a waste on public roads.
--Translates feeling of road to car to driver well. (aka connection/ Soul) I opted for slightly more thus the sway bars and coilovers.
--SOUND.. I've got Porsche Sport Exhause (PSE) which is the BEST N/A exhaust out there. PERIOD!!!!!!!
--UNAPOLOGETIC FUN FACTOR

DAILY DRIVE-ABILITY is all relative to the owners. I knew exactly what the car offered and entailed. It surpassed my expectations. The instant I drove this car I knew it was PERFECT.

Higher maintenance then your average but not as much as the more exotics. Relatively speaking, I think it has a harmonious balance of practically and exoticism. The car is 5 yrs old and it still turns heads EVERYDAY. How long will this last? Sh*t, I still like the look of a widebody 993! ITS A CLASSIC, maybe not in the literal sense but design wise akin to Ducati 916 or NSX design. I even get asked if its a 2007?

The car is my TOY and I PLAY often.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 AM
kunkstyle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
so quit harping on people who do garage queen their cars cuz they ain't b!tchin you out for driving yours everyday and treating it like a damn commuter car.
Ummm, isn't that what you just did?

so let's stick our heads out of the ground and stop pretending we have a commuter sedan on our hands here. get a beater for $5K and have everything you need for fun and the not as fun.

you're given out silly stupid advice to tell someone to daily drive their 911 even if they live in sunny socal.
@angldrkns9 : You can find the keg pic on college humour.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 AM
nine9six will become famous soon enoughnine9six will become famous soon enough
absolutely inane post.

-other than $$$, there is no good reason to daily drive a 911. absolutely none. having another car offers additional value that having 1 car, 1 small **** sports car simply cannot begin to provide. do you guys GET it?

Buy a beater for the times that the 911 breaks down. I have an old range rover 'classic' and never drive that. However, I took it out when I was waiting on a power steering line for my 911.

I paid a good amount of my hard earn $$ for my 911. I'd much rather drive it all the time. When I do accumulate dings and rock chips, I will take out my range rover while my 911 is in the shop. And when it depreciates...blah blah blah...who cares, I got my moneys worth by driving it everyday.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:35 AM
hatr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Curves4S
Purchased BRAND NEW in 2003. Look at my signature for the description of the car.

I live in Los Angeles.

87k miles and counting... I DAILY DRIVE the car as well as hit every other turn, on ramp/off ramp, overpass, open stretch of road with conviction. 4 tire screech?...Damn straight, if you know how to drive the *****. Driving is FUN and almost feels like a game.

I would estimate an average of $2k or more spent on the car each year for regular maintenance. ($1200-tires/ oil/ service/ occasional issues etc)

Issues I've had with the car are:

--Radio was acting up in its 3rd year, (Warranty Covered and replaced)
--RMS leak just around 65k (Covered by dealer even though warranty was over) No issues since.
--One replaced clutch at 70k.
--Sagged Motor mounts (replaced).
--Dented rim on a set of 19's SSR Gt3's. Replaced by Hamann step lips which are WAY stronger. Same roads, stronger wheels, no issues.

IMHO, this is the BEST DAILY DRIVE-able car for reasons listed below.
--Decent Gas Mileage I fill up every 260mi but can squeeze 280.
--Great Size, Not too small that it questions your manhood. and not big where it feels like you're wasting gas carrying extra weight.
--Enough cargo room for what I need (Groceries, Girls, etc). I borrow a truck for anything more.
--Exotic enough to be different from everything else on the road. (read: most cars are boring to drive and look at) But not so much that it involves high maintenance.
--Interior Ergonomics are sleek and on point. I have CF interior so I LOVE IT!
--More than enough HP, anything more is kind of a waste on public roads.
--Translates feeling of road to car to driver well. (aka connection/ Soul) I opted for slightly more thus the sway bars and coilovers.
--SOUND.. I've got Porsche Sport Exhause (PSE) which is the BEST N/A exhaust out there. PERIOD!!!!!!!
--UNAPOLOGETIC FUN FACTOR

DAILY DRIVE-ABILITY is all relative to the owners. I knew exactly what the car offered and entailed. It surpassed my expectations. The instant I drove this car I knew it was PERFECT.

Higher maintenance then your average but not as much as the more exotics. Relatively speaking, I think it has a harmonious balance of practically and exoticism. The car is 5 yrs old and it still turns heads EVERYDAY. How long will this last? Sh*t, I still like the look of a widebody 993! ITS A CLASSIC, maybe not in the literal sense but design wise akin to Ducati 916 or NSX design. I even get asked if its a 2007?

The car is my TOY and I PLAY often.

I want to do what you do. Brilliant!

Post a pic of your car too please! And how about a shot of that sweet interior.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Post Your High Mileage Porsche