996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Post Your High Mileage Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM
nineninesixer! is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Curves4S
Purchased BRAND NEW in 2003. Look at my signature for the description of the car.

I live in Los Angeles.

87k miles and counting... I DAILY DRIVE the car as well as hit every other turn, on ramp/off ramp, overpass, open stretch of road with conviction. 4 tire screech?...Damn straight, if you know how to drive the *****. Driving is FUN and almost feels like a game.

I would estimate an average of $2k or more spent on the car each year for regular maintenance. ($1200-tires/ oil/ service/ occasional issues etc)

Issues I've had with the car are:

--Radio was acting up in its 3rd year, (Warranty Covered and replaced)
--RMS leak just around 65k (Covered by dealer even though warranty was over) No issues since.
--One replaced clutch at 70k.
--Sagged Motor mounts (replaced).
--Dented rim on a set of 19's SSR Gt3's. Replaced by Hamann step lips which are WAY stronger. Same roads, stronger wheels, no issues.

IMHO, this is the BEST DAILY DRIVE-able car for reasons listed below.
--Decent Gas Mileage I fill up every 260mi but can squeeze 280.
--Great Size, Not too small that it questions your manhood. and not big where it feels like you're wasting gas carrying extra weight.
--Enough cargo room for what I need (Groceries, Girls, etc). I borrow a truck for anything more.
--Exotic enough to be different from everything else on the road. (read: most cars are boring to drive and look at) But not so much that it involves high maintenance.
--Interior Ergonomics are sleek and on point. I have CF interior so I LOVE IT!
--More than enough HP, anything more is kind of a waste on public roads.
--Translates feeling of road to car to driver well. (aka connection/ Soul) I opted for slightly more thus the sway bars and coilovers.
--SOUND.. I've got Porsche Sport Exhause (PSE) which is the BEST N/A exhaust out there. PERIOD!!!!!!!
--UNAPOLOGETIC FUN FACTOR

DAILY DRIVE-ABILITY is all relative to the owners. I knew exactly what the car offered and entailed. It surpassed my expectations. The instant I drove this car I knew it was PERFECT.

Higher maintenance then your average but not as much as the more exotics. Relatively speaking, I think it has a harmonious balance of practically and exoticism. The car is 5 yrs old and it still turns heads EVERYDAY. How long will this last? Sh*t, I still like the look of a widebody 993! ITS A CLASSIC, maybe not in the literal sense but design wise akin to Ducati 916 or NSX design. I even get asked if its a 2007?

The car is my TOY and I PLAY often.
Amen!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
typical mob mentality online. the few dudes who do crap their 911 by daily driving it which absolutely does accelerate wear/tear on the car esp if you live anywhere outside of the sunshine state... all stroking each other saying go go go porsche accord....

yet nobody in this very mob will go on to admit the very truth that if they could swing it, they'd get a beater (added insurance, added parking space requirements, etc).

having two cars is better than having just one esp if one of them is essentially a two seater. period.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:33 AM
nineninesixer! is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
typical mob mentality online. the few dudes who do crap their 911 by daily driving it which absolutely does accelerate wear/tear on the car esp if you live anywhere outside of the sunshine state... all stroking each other saying go go go porsche accord....

yet nobody in this very mob will go on to admit the very truth that if they could swing it, they'd get a beater (added insurance, added parking space requirements, etc).

having two cars is better than having just one esp if one of them is essentially a two seater. period.
A car was meant to be driven, if we had a Ferrari F40 thats another story, that would be an investment or if we had a 3.6 RS. Its a 996 that was designed to last the test of time and design as an everyday car. We drive our cars daily cause we can and choose to. You choose to make it a weekend car, thats all you.

Ive gone through that two car stage. And even 3, I guess for people that commute a long distance I can see why they would get a second car. I commute 8 miles a day, so the Porsche is fine. I didnt buy mine as an investment and later sell, I tend to keep mine till I cant drive her anymore. We all enjoy our cars in our own way. Lets stop bashing each other on this topic.

If anyone can afford a pcar, the chances are you can afford a second car. Some people choose to get a second car, someone people choose to drive their pcar.

Sorry for the rant, but this thread is entertaining. Its great to see all the different views, but dont let it get personal.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned
loving the 911 is personal so don't get your panties in a bunch when we're in a place where we share in a passion to love cars, but not necessarily the occasional idiots to climb on board.

a chrysler sebring is "meant to be driven". what kind of myopic statement is that? peopel stretch for toys all the time so to say cuz x drives a 911, then likely x can afford a y car too. BS. and no **** it's not an investment in the fiscal sense, but it is aninvestment along the mental pleasure front. you get ROI via the good feelings u get knowing you can drive this great car because you own it or a bank loaned some money to you. i don't get great ROI when i drive this car in the damn rain on a dark and cloudy seattle day driving to work in the thick of lake wa bridge traffic. i'd much rather be in my jeep. if i have a dog to transport, i don't want it in my 911, i want to transport us in the jeep.

again, i stick by my claim. it's better to have 2 cars than just 1 esp in 1 of them is a small **** two seater car

Old 07-25-2008, 11:44 AM
hatr is on a distinguished road

I would think it would be better all around to have 2 or more cars but if people don't want to do that, so what? Why does that upset you?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by hatr
I would think it would be better all around to have 2 or more cars but if people don't want to do that, so what? Why does that upset you?
upset?

just trying to show people the flip side of things that not everyone agrees that daily driving a 911 is a cool thing to do. it's silly unless it's all u got then yea go for it. let's just not pretend that for the majority of us who can swing $10K+++++++ on a reliable, nice commuter car/truck it's somehow cool to daily a 911. it's not. it's dumb

Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM
upset?

just trying to show people the flip side of things that not everyone agrees that daily driving a 911 is a cool thing to do. it's silly unless it's all u got then yea go for it. let's just not pretend that for the majority of us who can swing $10K+++++++ on a reliable, nice commuter car/truck it's somehow cool to daily a 911. it's not. it's dumb

is your main reason for having another vehicle the lack of space/seating in a 911? Or is it that you don't want to wear the car down by driving it everyday?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Banned
it's a myriad of reasons that add up to.... convenience.

it adds value to my transportation needs. period. aside from $, there is no advantage to not having a 2nd car in the line-up to supplement the 911.

not sure how this is even an argument.

just think it thru.

-costco

-snowboarding

-camping

-downtown parking

-moving

-waxing/cleaning then rain/snow forecast the next day

drop the pom poms and think it thru

Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW

03 C4S w/ 36K on it.......very forgiving (mostly my weekend car but do tend to drive it to work every couple days a week). Mostly used on rallies and cars/coffee meets putting about 250 miles a weekend at times. I've actually considered driving this car as the DD but am concerned w/ the depreciation and resale. Mostly stick to about 5-7K per year as best I can. My current DD is an 05 Volvo V50 T5 that I bought in 05 w/ 9K miles on it. Today, the Volvo has 104K miles on it in just 3 years. Now, this is a daily commuter that will run to at least 300K miles.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Banned
30K+ miles a year damn bro you be rolllin!!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
it's a myriad of reasons that add up to.... convenience.

it adds value to my transportation needs. period. aside from $, there is no advantage to not having a 2nd car in the line-up to supplement the 911.

not sure how this is even an argument.

just think it thru.

-costco

-snowboarding

-camping

-downtown parking

-moving

-waxing/cleaning then rain/snow forecast the next day

drop the pom poms and think it thru
I asked you a question because I honestly wanted to know your opinion. I am thinking of buying a 996 within the year and I'm getting all the opinions I can from guys that own the car and I appreciate your time to answer me.

But why must you insult me with that last statement lol? That's just stupid.

Am I hoping that people say they use it everyday, sure I am, because I'm not in a position to afford two vehicles at this time. I can, however afford to drive/repair one car pretty easily. Therefore I have a decision to make as I've loved the 911 since I knew what a car was. I don't have kids, my GF has a Range Rover and I have friends with trucks in case I have to move something. Hence, I am cheered up when people say they DD their 911 because it gives me some hope that I can do the same thing. Does that mean I am holding Pom-Poms? LOL. My GF used to cheer in HS but I was never a cheerleader, sorry.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned
I was not necessarily directing the pom pom comment directly to you so sorry if you related to it.

if you can only afford one car, then certainly get the 911. i would recommend against it, but if you really really want a 911, then do it. i daily drove an s2000 outta college for like 5 years with little to no issues, but my demands and lifestyle havechanged though i'm still a partying bachelor just that i enjoy the conveniences to where i'd never go back. in fact, i'd sell the 911 if i had to daily it and just stash the cash and drive the jeep. honest. i love the 911, don't get me wrong, but i only want to drive it if i can keep that **** clean cuz i don't like ridin' dirty like your boy chamillionaire.

and if you don't like the experience, you have the freedom to... gasp... sell it.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 07-25-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:37 PM
I was not necessarily directing the pom pom comment directly to you so sorry if you related to it.

if you can only afford one car, then certainly get the 911. i would recommend against it, but if you really really want a 911, then do it. i daily drove an s2000 outta college for like 5 years with little to no issues, but my demands and lifestyle havechanged though i'm still a partying bachelor just that i enjoy the conveniences to where i'd never go back. in fact, i'd sell the 911 if i had to daily it and just stash the cash and drive the jeep. honest. i love the 911, don't get me wrong, but i only want to drive it if i can keep that **** clean cuz i don't like ridin' dirty like your boy chamillionaire.

and if you don't like the experience, you have the freedom to... gasp... sell it.
You had an s2000? Right on. Do you think the s2k and your 996 are similar at all in driving characteristics? I found that the s2k was just too "hardcore" ( lol, I'm not sure if that is the right word but it's a driver's car and I'm sure you know what I mean) for me.

I'm hoping the 996 is a little easier to live with ( again, that can be relative as well) and that it's not as track-focused as the s2000. The s2k just kicks my *** every time I drive it , my roommate has one and he loves it, but he also bought an Element so he needn't have to drive the s2000 everyday .

Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Gary in BR is on a distinguished road
I'll chime in on the DD debate here.

I would assume most guys who DD the 911 are part of a multicar family and the other car is capable of the bulk food store shopping trips, and vacations, etc.

I was a Boxster only single man for many years and just borrowed a company truck when I needed to carry anything larger than what the Box could carry, like Christmas trees!!

I drive my Boxster everyday, 165,000 miles strong. But when its time to carry something large the SUV is used.

In my opinion a Boxster, 996, 997, Cayman, Lambo, whatever...can be used as a daily driver, many people do. But we need to take into account the other cars in the household that may be used for more utility purposes.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I'll chime in on the DD debate here.

I would assume most guys who DD the 911 are part of a multicar family and the other car is capable of the bulk food store shopping trips, and vacations, etc.

I was a Boxster only single man for many years and just borrowed a company truck when I needed to carry anything larger than what the Box could carry, like Christmas trees!!

I drive my Boxster everyday, 165,000 miles strong. But when its time to carry something large the SUV is used.

In my opinion a Boxster, 996, 997, Cayman, Lambo, whatever...can be used as a daily driver, many people do. But we need to take into account the other cars in the household that may be used for more utility purposes.

I have an a4 and I rarely use the backseat for anything. Maybe once or twice a year, family visits but that's about it. I don't live with my GF and she has a Range Rover but we hardly take her car anywhere, we usually take mine. Honestly, the last time I use my car to haul anything larger than a 996 could handle was a couple of years ago when I bought a 42 inch flat screen. Could that fit in a 996?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Post Your High Mileage Porsche