996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

VF Supercharger Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
VF Supercharger Thread

Hey Guys! I just wanted to start a thread to discuess issues that people have been having with the VF SC kit (install/CEL/basically anytime). This way we can all group the issues/solutions in once place to benefit all the SC owners out there.

Please remember, this thread is to benefit SC owners and NOT created to bash a product.

Issues that i've had so far:

1) Install Issue that I Emailed Delius and RPM with:

I just wanted to share a install issue that I fixed myself this weekend. I didn't get a chance to take pictures on my own setup but I was looking thru VFs website and I found pictures that show the problem too. I have also sent this email to Delius so he is aware of this issue (maybe let his installers be aware of this issue).

I have attached two pictures: pic 1 & pic 2. I am referring to one specific tube that appears to connect to the metal air bypass value on one side and a T-joint on the other side. The difference is if the tube runs above the oil-filler tube (pic1) or below the oil-filler tube (pic2). On my install, the tube runs below the oil-filler tube (similar to pic 2) and the problem with this setup is the tube runs VERY close to engine belt. When the car is stationary the tube is VERY close but not touching but I noticed after three weeks of having the car and about 600 miles on the car, I guess during acceleration and de-acceleration the tube moves a bit and actually comes in contact with the belt. So on my car now, the tube has a small cut from coming in touch with the belt.

The easiest fix is to remove the twister ties and move the location of the tube to above the oil-filler tube. I was going to bring the car to RPM and have Tim fix it but I couldn't justify driving 2.5 hours (there and back) just to have Tim cut a few twister ties and relocate the tube. So I cut the twister ties and moved the tube to ABOVE the oil-filler tube.

I just wanted to let you guys be aware of this issue for future installs and maybe checking existing installs.

pic1

pic2

Old 09-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Jason do you have a more direct shot like this?

I would like to see how Tim routed his vac line... and whats with the non silicone throttle tube... seems like you have the old style

Last edited by Redridge; 09-29-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
2) Check Engine Lights
I think we should defintely create a list of common CEL codes we are getting

I pulled my CEL codes 2 weeks ago and I three codes. I don't recall them exactly (I get get them off my laptop later) but one of them was bank 2 running lean at idle and two more codes about bank 1 and bank 2 secondary air pump issue.

I cleared all three codes and when it was raining this weekend I got another CEL. I haven't had the chance to pull this one, but I will post the codes once I get home tonight

3) This is a weird one. For some reason my car does not want to start after I wash it

I'm laughing now but it's actually kindof scary. This is what happens. I turn off my car (key is NOT in ignition, but I don't lock it either, no electronics are running). I do my usual car wash routine and strangely when I'm done about 2 hours later the car won't start. The condition is almost very similar to when you're low on battery but the lights ARE NOT DIM. The screen on the dash flips out, my windows open a little, and I hear lots of clicking noises. I have to plug in my porsche battery charger into the cigarette lighter and after holding the key in the starting position for maybe a good fifteen seconds the car finally starts (and when it does start, the car cranks strongly once but doesn't start and then cranks a second time with less power, then cranks a third time the car will appear like it has no battery power left, the car will stop cranking for a few seconds and appear dead, but strange the car cranks a fourth time and finally it will start running).

I would suspect it's the battery but this is the strange part. This only happens when I wash the car... I drive the car to the movies. Come back three hours later and the car starts fine. I drive to the supermarket. Come back an hour later and the car starts fine. Even when I leave the car in the rain and come back a few hours later the car will start fine. I haven't been able to figure this problem out yet but does anybody else have this problem?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:25 AM
those pictuers are actually NOT of my setup, just pictures I took from VFs website. I was looking thru VF websites for pictures of the engine bay to see if all the different pictures had the same install issues/was routing the tubes in the same fashion.

i will post pics tonight when i get home of my exact setup

Originally Posted by Redridge
Jason do you have a more direct shot like this?

I would like to see how Tim routed his vac line... and whats with the non silicone throttle tube... seems like you have the old style

Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
blown996 is on a distinguished road
i'm having trouble finding an oil overflow setup that works. it gets messy during track days.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by blown996
i'm having trouble finding an oil overflow setup that works. it gets messy during track days.
that sucks!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Im working on a oil catch can project... will let you know how it does...

Originally Posted by blown996

Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Im working on a oil catch can project... will let you know how it does...
redridge im i going to have this problem?? thanks

Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Delius@VF-Engineering
Originally Posted by jstrat85
Vent the crank case to atmospheric pressure and the car will be fine.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by jstrat85
mostly only on the track... or if you spend most of the time driving at wot. Its more of an annoyance than a problem.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned
mostly only on the track... or if you spend most of the time driving at wot. Its more of an annoyance than a problem.
i see.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM
my2000carrera is on a distinguished road
If you vent to atmosphere, what are you disconnecting? And do you cap off the other side where you disconneted it from?
Thanks

Tony

Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Just disconnect the crankcase vent hose from the SC intake and plug the hole. Install a vented catch can somewhere in the engine compartment and connect the hose to it. You can connect a drain hose to the catch can and splice it into the SC oil drain line. Install a one way valve on the line and you will never have to empty the catch can.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Interesting that the oil overflow issue just came up on here. My car is at the shop right now. When they took the intake plumbing off to the clean the air filter, they found a significant amount of oil in there.

I spoke to Delius at VF yesterday and he was supposed to have his people talk to my people today I'm not sure what the outcome was. Delius is a nice guy and VF seems to be doing a great job selling and supporting these kits.

I don't think this oil thing is really much of an issue. I was at Sebring last week ( made it a whopping four laps till my brakes completely failed) so that may have had something to do with the extra oil. I don't normally have any issues at all with oil consumption and those four laps were probably the hardest thing my car has ever seen.

Thanks again 1999. I forwarded the info from your pm over to the shop. Perfect timing on this thread.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Just disconnect the crankcase vent hose from the SC intake and plug the hole. Install a vented catch can somewhere in the engine compartment and connect the hose to it. You can connect a drain hose to the catch can and splice it into the SC oil drain line. Install a one way valve on the line and you will never have to empty the catch can.
easier said than done, there's no room!... but something like this:.... hopefully the 8" in length hose reduction wont be an issue... Ill ring this out Friday... hopefully with good results.

Sorry for the crappy pics...

Last edited by Redridge; 10-08-2008 at 08:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VF Supercharger Thread