996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LWFW Installed

Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 PM
mfletch is on a distinguished road
LWFW Installed

A few months ago, I bought an Aasco LWFW from a 6-speed member. It was damaged during shipping (the shipping company dropped it..probably on my curb). Randy Aasco agreed to look at it and repair as necessary. He repaired it and replaced the friction surface. He basically made it new again. He shipped it back to me and charged a whopping $15. I can't say enough good things about him and his company.

Now for the good part...I love the LWFW and Spec stage 2+ combo. I agonized over my decision for about a year. I read every thread on the topic here and on Rennlist. The noise is very minimal. The performace benefit is well worth the little bit of extra noise. It accelerates lightning fast through first and second gear. It performs like a sport bike now. I have only driven it for a day and have not explored the upper gears yet. It is easy to drive in traffic. I don't think my wife will have a problem with it. If you are thinking about this mod when you replace your clutch, I highly recommend it.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
do you have to rev it higher to get it going out of first? is it easier to stall... I've heard you really need to keep the revs up to get it going... and forget about leaving the light in 2nd gear... ??

Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Pete, I expected exactly what you described. I find it to be almost the same, as it was previously. I deleted my clutch pedal helper spring, which might make a difference. I have not stalled it yet and my mechanic (who is a Shelby guy), had no problems with it.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
johnnytaboo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing.... now I want this even more.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 AM
TMAC will become famous soon enough
Saw your thread on Rennlist too. Mine is in the process of being installed as I write this. My Indy is using a Spec LWFW and a SPEC Stage II clutch.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:10 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
any excess noise? I did this in my M3 and it wasn't quiet...

Old 05-16-2009, 12:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
No such thing as a completely silent LWFW. I have one on my 997TT. Rattles about the same as a GT3RS. At idle, when cold, is silent. After a spirited drive, it starts to rattle...seems to go away when I have Sports mode on. It'll come back if I turn on the AC.

For the rest of you guys, how much rattle are you hearing when you accelerate under load in say, 3rd or 4th?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Johnny, you are welcome
TMAC, I hope your's goes better than mine is right now. You will love the mod.
MCM, it does make noise...you really have to listen for it.
bbywu. it definately is a unique sound...kind of cool when you know what it is.

I posted this yesterday on Rennlist:

I fell obligated to share the good with the bad. Today was not a good Porsche day. My wife and I were driving to a local shop to get the A/C recharged on the Porsche. I knew my tires are in poor shape, but I wanted to get the A/C charged, because I had to pick up my dad's van from the same shop. I had a flat about half way there on the freeway. The 295 tires prevented any damage to my wheel.

When I picked up my car on Wednesday, I test drove it hard. My mechanic did the same, with no problems. On my way home, I heard a loud metallic "bang" from the back of the car. No other problems..ran fine, sounded fine, and no oil leak.

Today, when I backed the car up about 30 feet to get off the freeway, I stalled it for the first time. When i restarted the car, it made an incredibly loud noise when I depressed the clutch. It sounded like a bad throw-out bearing (which I had replaced with the new Spec unit). The idle also started fluctuating. I drove the car an additional 100 yards off the off-ramp and into a parking lot. The noise continued. It could be heard from probably 100 feet away. I had the car towed back to my buddy's shop. Guess what....no more noise. I left it in my buddy's care for the weekend, with both of us scratching our heads. Any ideas?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM
TMAC will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mfletch
Johnny, you are welcome
TMAC, I hope your's goes better than mine is right now. You will love the mod.
MCM, it does make noise...you really have to listen for it.
bbywu. it definately is a unique sound...kind of cool when you know what it is.

I posted this yesterday on Rennlist:

I fell obligated to share the good with the bad. Today was not a good Porsche day. My wife and I were driving to a local shop to get the A/C recharged on the Porsche. I knew my tires are in poor shape, but I wanted to get the A/C charged, because I had to pick up my dad's van from the same shop. I had a flat about half way there on the freeway. The 295 tires prevented any damage to my wheel.

When I picked up my car on Wednesday, I test drove it hard. My mechanic did the same, with no problems. On my way home, I heard a loud metallic "bang" from the back of the car. No other problems..ran fine, sounded fine, and no oil leak.

Today, when I backed the car up about 30 feet to get off the freeway, I stalled it for the first time. When i restarted the car, it made an incredibly loud noise when I depressed the clutch. It sounded like a bad throw-out bearing (which I had replaced with the new Spec unit). The idle also started fluctuating. I drove the car an additional 100 yards off the off-ramp and into a parking lot. The noise continued. It could be heard from probably 100 feet away. I had the car towed back to my buddy's shop. Guess what....no more noise. I left it in my buddy's care for the weekend, with both of us scratching our heads. Any ideas?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:44 PM
gsieck will become famous soon enough
IMS failure?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gsieck
IMS failure?
No such thing exists.

/Porsche of North America