996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Remote Key Fob Programming & Laser Cutting for 996

Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 PM
oatmealadam is on a distinguished road
Remote Key Fob Programming & Laser Cutting for 996

Does anyone know where I can buy a remote fob key for a 2002 C4S without having to go to the Porsche stealership?

I bought one off Ebay ($90) and upon taking it to the dealer the service advisor at Pfaff Porsche told me the metal blank/blade would wreck their cutting machine AND the remote part needs some type of tag code with it in order to program it. He then told me they had a key in stock and it would cost $300 plus 1 hour labour ($129). I held off and want to see if anyone knows where I can buy a key that they CAN cut & program? Or, is the Porsche dealer taking me for a ride and they just don't want to use my part supplied?

The key I bought was a previously used remote with the same buttons as my key currently being used, but the blade/blank is silver in colour and the key I'm using now has a gold tinge to it. Is there really any difference? If anyone knows someone who can program it in the Toronto, Ontario area that would be perfect

Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 PM
hummermaniac88 is on a distinguished road
I don't have any input about this situation, but do you have any picture of you C4S? It looks SICK!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:55 PM
I do have some pictures, but I am new to this forum and don't know how to post pictures just yet. I am selling my wheels. I have 2 sets: 19" black Techart Formula & the OEM Turbo Twist 18" wheels painted Carrera RS orange. I want to sell 1 set and just keep the other ... I like both either way. I am thinking of selling the car altogether in the near future, insurance is hurting the finances because of the rating the car gets in Ontario

Old 08-30-2009, 12:33 AM
orangec2 will become famous soon enough
Welcome Oatmealadam,
I went through a similar situation a couple of years ago. I wanted a new key and went to an independent shop near my home. They had to call Porsche to get the program codes and find out which key fob I needed. They programmed the new remote key and referred me to a lock smith that cut keys for Porsche's and Lexus's. The new remote key, new key blade, and lock smith came to $250. They also gave me the codes for my alarm and radio for free. So look around for a qualified independent shop in your area.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
You can buy the pieces from Sunset. You can take the blade to a locksmith to have them cut it. You might need to call around to see which locksmith can do it but in the end it will still need to be programed by an indy or dealer.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
PBug will become famous soon enough
Hey OatmealAdam,

I recognize that this thread is about a year old but I'm curious to find out what you did in the end. I need to get my 996TT key blades cut and keyfobs programmed and want to know how much it costs and where you went to get it done.

Thx,
ray

Old 05-20-2010, 01:36 PM
stanm5 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PBug
Hey OatmealAdam,

I recognize that this thread is about a year old but I'm curious to find out what you did in the end. I need to get my 996TT key blades cut and keyfobs programmed and want to know how much it costs and where you went to get it done.

Thx,
ray
I just ordered a new remote from Suncoast and had it programmed at Pfaff. They charged me 1/2 labour ($67) and washed my car inside and out! Best dealer experience I've had in a long long time. I just also found a shop on Westin road (at Rogers) that can read and cut Porsche (and other) keys. Give Murray a call 416-829-3200.

Cheers,
Stanley

Old 05-20-2010, 01:52 PM
I bought a blank HAA blade off eBay and a remote fob. The fob, however, did not come with a serial number and Porsche was unable to program it. In any event, if you buy a fob elsewhere, be certain it comes with the serial number attached or else it is useless to you. I learned my lesson. The blade was a bargain compared to the dealer. However, when I went to Pfaff they said they couldn't cut it even though it was identical HAA to theirs they tried selling me. I was disgusted with Pfaff and won't go back ... they tried selling me the blade and 1 hour labour plus a new fob (which significantly was cheaper at Porsche of Toronto although cost should be identical between dealers) for nearly $500. Needless to say, I walked out of there and never looked back. Porsche of Toronto DID cut my eBay HAA blade with no issue or questioning, sold an OEM fob for less, and charged 1/2 hour labour ... I think the total was $315 out the door. The fob is expensive if you can't find another supplier.

Either way, you can try both dealers and see the cost difference or try the independent garage and re-post how it went ... I would like to know for the future. Overall, there doesn't seem to be many people who want to invest in the equipment for programming Porsche due to the lack of interest I guess.

Let me know what happens if you go to the private garage (Murray).

Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 AM
tiger911tt is on a distinguished road
Hi. I took stanm5's advice and went to Murray. He said my eBay key was from China and the blank hard to cut. I had the hex number for the key. He warned me that the hex number doesn't always work because it doesn't match the key. He got the key programmed to turn on the car. The hex was a valid number because the car recognized it. Unfortunately the remote didn't work using the hex. He charged me $100 for about 1 1/2 work. Murray's number is still 416-829-3200 and exact address is Unit 1C, 325 Weston Rd., Toronto.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Porsche is very careful about key programming. You need the full-blown PIWIS system to program keys. This system is only available to dealers. Porsche does this to make sure it would be very difficult for someone to steal your car. If just anyone could get the machine, our cars would be much higher on the "easy to steal" list.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Auroradad is an unknown quantity at this point
just to keep things current on this forum, for my 2003 911, I just picked up a new key and programmed by Murphy (not Murray) @ Euro-Luxury Automobile - 416-829-3200, Unit 1C, 325 Weston Rd., Toronto. He did a great job!

Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM
pbody is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know of a place in Denver, CO?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pbody
does anyone know of a place in Denver, CO?
What kind of place?

Old 05-06-2020, 03:09 PM
riceball is an unknown quantity at this point
Here in Utah SLC they want $189 / hr + $200 for the key & fob

Old 06-05-2020, 07:28 AM
ChrisLyon is an unknown quantity at this point
Search on google and i am sure you will find many stores for laser key cutting. I also have got locksmith lewisville for key duplication online and key i got has been working really well.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote Key Fob Programming & Laser Cutting for 996