996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

white smoke of left exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
white smoke of left exhaust

I just picked up my tip 99c2 cab from getting two new rear potenzas.. when I started the car, some strange sound came of the engine... clank clank clank, and it would increase with more throttle. I turned of the car and restarted it... the noise went away.

But, when driving home around 30 miles /h the engine light came on, and white smoke started coming of the left exhaust.. a lot of smoke, and more when i pushed the throttle.

I drove it for about a mile (i live close to the tire place) and parked it in my garage. The smoke has a light burned smell, of course.

I read several causes throughout the forums and nothing looks good at all. car has 108,000 miles, never a problem.

So, before I take to the mechanic, what am I looking at? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by tarzancoe; 11-16-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
you might want to get a DME readout to see if your tire guys went for a joyride

Old 11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
pardon my ignorance... what is a DME readout? If they did go for a ride, they did it quick, the car was there for an hour only.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
if it was out of your sight anything is possible and it sounds like you have a mechanical issue that has the potential to be expensive to fix...the computer records over-revs and when they occured...if there are very recent over-revs and you didn't do them then you have some evidence...just a thought

Old 11-16-2009, 05:19 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
lol to chuck,,,,,, chuck is right, bring it to porsche ask them to hook it up, and get the read on the rev's.....if you have a relationship with your dealer they may do it for free....

Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Yep, I appreciate the advice. Gotta go to Vegas this week I'll have to wait to come back. Hopefully is not bad.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM
tw02996c4s is on a distinguished road
Sorry I don't have anything positive to add,hopefully it's it's not serious.I'm gonna go + 1 on checking on the joy ride thing though.The tire shop my owe you some money.Don't rule out calling your lawyer if it had an over rev condition at the time in question.Good luck in Veges.

Terry

Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Porsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nice
Originally Posted by tarzancoe
I just picked up my tip 99c2 cab from getting two new rear potenzas.. when I started the car, some strange sound came of the engine... clank clank clank, and it would increase with more throttle. I turned of the car and restarted it... the noise went away.

But, when driving home around 30 miles /h the engine light came on, and white smoke started coming of the left exhaust.. a lot of smoke, and more when i pushed the throttle.

I drove it for about a mile (i live close to the tire place) and parked it in my garage. The smoke has a light burned smell, of course.

I read several causes throughout the forums and nothing looks good at all. car has 108,000 miles, never a problem.

So, before I take to the mechanic, what am I looking at? Thanks for your help.
Could be intermediate shaft failure and just coincidental that it occured after picking up the car for tire service. Cking for over-revs def a good idea but the noise shouldn't have come and gone initially. Don't drive it any more.
If you don't have a reputable Porsche facility, i would highly reccomend using Tony Callas of Callas-Rennsport in Torrence. He is one of the best Porsche Techs in the country and his facility is very well know for Porsche service and racing. They also have the PST2 and PIWIS factory scan tools. I highly respect his work and would reccomend Rennsport to any any one on the west coast. Tell him i sent you. -Seth
callasrennsport.com/

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-17-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: embedded link to commercial non sponsor
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Unhappy

Thanks for recommendation in Torrance. I am in Orange County, that's the only issue. I could always tow the car there but it would not be cheap. Any solid recommendtions in my area, folks? I know there are several well known outfits here (Vidid, GMG, Irvine European, etc., etc., etc). I used to take her to Porsche of Newport, have decent relationship. But, dealer is always so expensive

Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 AM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
Hopefully you just wore out your serpentine belt, when it breaks it clangs around and can smack the hoses in there - if it broke your coolant hose free, the temp quickly rises in the engine bay and you'll get the white smoke.

If it is the serpentine belt, check the pulleys too as they can strip and fall off.

1x Main Serpentine Belt #99610215166 $28.38
1x Upper Deflection Pulley #99610211856 $62.85
1x Lower Deflection Pulley #99610211958 $64.46

Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM
And, here it is. Still did not take it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0J94-l-Xhg

Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 PM
fotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud offotostars has much to be proud of
Unhappy

Originally Posted by tarzancoe
And, here it is. Still did not take it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0J94-l-Xhg
I would STOP RUNNING the engine (it's just me)... Definitely get a readout of your error code and post it here.
You can get an OBDII reader for less than $100 at any part store. A great buy in my opinion...

Old 11-21-2009, 08:50 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. It is only coming from one bank of cylinders, so no it’s not the intermediate shaft, or a serp belt. The exhaust does a cross over so it is the right side bank causing the issue. If it weren’t making that nasty noise I would say it could be coolant and maybe a head gasket. Still check your fluids obviously. Something might have let loose inside your right bank (passer side cylinders). The check engine light is probably due to the o2 sensors for that bank getting fouled by the fluid causing the smoke (probably oil) getting all over them. At first when I saw your video I was hoping it was only steam, then you panned out and I could see the other side wasn’t smoking at all. If you want to check, to see how bad it is, pull out the right side spark plugs and check to see if they look out of the ordinary. I’m guessing one of them will be covered in oil.

Quit driving or running the car. Have it towed to your nearest dealer. They will pull the codes, probably do a compression test if the plugs aren’t a dead give away then recommend an engine rebuild. I have money on there being some cylinder misfires codes, and 2 of 4 o2’s. Hopefully you will get an over rev that matches the date you dropped it off to get tires done. Sorry to say, I hope it’s not what I have said but it’s a 996 with over 100K, it wouldn’t be the first engine to let go. If the tire monkeys popped your engine the code readout may give you proof, but with the higher mileage it could just be a coincidence.

If it’s a tire shop that also works on cars they will have a scanner, and even though it isn’t not a Porsche scanner, if they caused this issue and were trying to cover their tracks, they might have hooked into your cars computer, went into OBD2 generic and cleared the codes so when you started the car it might make the noise, but no obvious check engine light would come on for up to a couple minutes, and give them some sort of deniability. Don’t accuse or hint around until you get proof, but if I ran a shop like that, I would be doing anything possible to get out of buying an engine. It cost more then what they probably bring in for the whole week.

Last edited by 19000rpm; 11-21-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 AM
Thanks all for the insights. I will tow the car to the shop this week. Yes, it does not look good... what are we going to do, that's life

Will keep you posted.

Cheers.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
gnx7 has a spectacular aura aboutgnx7 has a spectacular aura aboutgnx7 has a spectacular aura about
Contact BBI in Huntington Beach. They know their sh*t.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: white smoke of left exhaust