996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Drop links for GT3 sways with PSS10

Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 AM
bjarne996 will become famous soon enough
Drop links for GT3 sways with PSS10

I want to use GT3 sway bars on my 1998 996 C2 with PSS10 coilovers.

The cheapest front adjustable drop links I have found is DesignTek, available at £46,50 from Design911: http://www.design911.com/Porsche/996--911--1997-05/996-C2-3-4L-1997-08-01/Alloy-Drop-Links---Control-Arms/pt65_910_-cma81-cmo110-ct345/

Do you need new droplinks both front and rear? Where can reasonably priced rear droplinks be obtained?

Thanks,
Bjarne

Last edited by bbywu; 01-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
pmkazz will become famous soon enoughpmkazz will become famous soon enough
Check the below link. They have some good products..

http://www.automotion.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=19

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-11-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Dervish is on a distinguished road
Firstly do you really need adjustable? I only ask as unless you're doing alot of track work and plan on adjusting between tracks etc it's really not that important. You can use your stock rear droplinks with the rear sway bar. On the fronts the stock are about 15mm too long if I remember correctly. I got my suspension guy to cut the stock links and reweld to correct (GT3) size. Think I'm running middle hole on the front to dial out understeer. Alot of the GT3 guys run non-adjustable links so if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. I would advise against certain 'cheap' links though, they never stay tight and end up clunking and coming loose, do a search on here and you'll find out which one's I'm talking about...

Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by Dervish
Firstly do you really need adjustable? I only ask as unless you're doing alot of track work and plan on adjusting between tracks etc it's really not that important. You can use your stock rear droplinks with the rear sway bar. On the fronts the stock are about 15mm too long if I remember correctly. I got my suspension guy to cut the stock links and reweld to correct (GT3) size. Think I'm running middle hole on the front to dial out understeer. Alot of the GT3 guys run non-adjustable links so if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. I would advise against certain 'cheap' links though, they never stay tight and end up clunking and coming loose, do a search on here and you'll find out which one's I'm talking about...
Do you know if it is possible to use the OEM GT3 or CUP links?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 AM
No, the GT3 droplinks have rose joints that point in different directions due to the wheel carriers having different mounting points. Can't find any pics though...

Have a read of this thread... http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...gt3-sways.html

Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Why are you looking for the 'cheapest?' If you want to improve the handling, look for the BEST. There are plenty of reports of drop links breaking. Even if you spent double, it is a resonable price for quality.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by mathism
Why are you looking for the 'cheapest?' If you want to improve the handling, look for the BEST. There are plenty of reports of drop links breaking. Even if you spent double, it is a resonable price for quality.
That was your 996th post! Haha, just as an FYI...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Dervish:
-No I do not necessarily need adjustable droplinks. The car is rarely used for track driving. I do, however want the best possible steering response without having a too harsh suspension. Currently I run the PSS10s on stiffness setting 5 (front) and 6 (rear). 1 is the softest setting on PSS10.

-The rennlist thread (http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...3-sways-2.html) mentions a bracket from Arlan Motorsports that enables use of OEM GT3 droplinks, do you know if these can be used with PSS10s?

mathism:
-No I do not necessarily look for the cheapest and I will try to avoid anything that might break on the track or wear excessive when used on a daily driver. I might be willing to invest a little more if there are any alternatives that improve handling more than others.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:51 AM
If you're not going to be adjusting then I would just get the stock links shortened. As long as you have a good suspension or geometry guy do the work he can 'dial out' the understeer trait to give a more balanced and responsive turn. Plus you then don't have the further problem of changing mounting points or loosening adjustable links. The only good product I've heard about are TRG drop links but they're alot of money for no extra gain if you're not tracking. Plus they are heavier than the shortened stock, unsprung mass etc etc...

Old 01-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Are you saying that you need adjustable droplinks to be able to move between the adjustment holes on the bars? I thought that you would be able to swap between the adjustment holes even with fixed length droplinks even if the bar position might deviate slightly from optimal with some adjustments. I know that an anti roll bar will excert "more control" when kept in its optimal position, but I expect a huge improvement from the stock bars anyway.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:46 AM
The stock rears work fine. The stock fronts are way too long to use. The shortened (by15mm) fronts work perfectly for the middle hole IIRC. Do a search on here and rennlist for where the Carrera/ GT3 guys position theirs. From what I've been told you don't want to overload the torsion by using way out sized drop links.

Have a read of my post at the time... http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t...ight=droplinks

Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bjarne996
Do you need new droplinks both front and rear? Where can reasonably priced rear droplinks be obtained?
Only the front needs new links. The rears can be reused. I suggest you not get the shorter drop links that mount to the pinch bolts as they cause suspension geometry changes under loading - which is not optimal for the track. The BEST solution for the GT3 sway bar on non-GT3 996s is the Tarett bracket with extended drop link. Look HERE. Although not cheap, it is clearly the best solution. If you get limited track time, or don't really care to have the best setup, you can use almost any standard [short] drop link. However, I would stay away from AP as a number of the links have broken [search and you will find a few threads on this].

Do you know if it is possible to use the OEM GT3 or CUP links?
You cannot use those links without getting other pieces [at least brackets] as the mounting points are different. You could get new wheel carriers as well, but that might be overkill - and far from cheap.

Are you saying that you need adjustable droplinks to be able to move between the adjustment holes on the bars?
No, you don't need adjustable links for this. The adjustment is to dial out preload on the bar.

but I expect a huge improvement from the stock bars anyway.
It will be a huge improvement in lateral loading for sure. With PSSX, it is leaps and bounds better than stock.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I went down this road long ago...

-td

Last edited by himself; 01-13-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM
OK, since I'll mostly be driving on public roads and since price is also an issue, I'll probably keep the OEM drop links. If I cant find anybody that sells shortend front drop links, I'll have to find somebody that can cut off 15mm and weld the parts back together.

Thanks for all your help.