996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Flat paint cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gu9cci
i dont want to go with wrap..!It is easy to scratch...
Easy to scratch a wrap? Can you explain this?

-td

Old 03-09-2010, 11:54 PM
FlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by himself
Easy to scratch a wrap? Can you explain this?

-td
I was wondering about this myself. I was thinking about getting the whole car wrapped in the same kind of color of that Lambo Reventon. Does anyone know how much will it cost to have the whole car wrapped? I'm guessing its alot cheaper than having my car re-painted and plus its easier to change the color without losing the car's value... right?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Alec4s911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FlipMo
I was wondering about this myself. I was thinking about getting the whole car wrapped in the same kind of color of that Lambo Reventon. Does anyone know how much will it cost to have the whole car wrapped? I'm guessing its alot cheaper than having my car re-painted and plus its easier to change the color without losing the car's value... right?
Around 2k-3k, at least to have it done right.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FlipMo
Correct. A friend of mine who owns a sign/sticker/vinyl shop does this all the time with customer’s cars and commercial vehicles.

Plug for Chicago-land guys LOL – www.x-tremegraphics.com

For a GOOD paint job, expect 5-6k at least. With the wrap, it doesn’t scratch that easily, will cost less (sticker or paint, what do you think is cheaper?) and can easily return the car back to stock when selling the vehicle. Plus, the colors are almost endless, cuz they make every color of the rainbow with stickers now.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
the engine bay will be repainted all the trim go down and paint...

Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
YoVito is on a distinguished road
Just got a bid from a firm in L.A. to wrap the lower portion [below window line] on my FX45. quote was $2800. Should be less than $4000 for a full 911 wrap. You'll need to have any chrome trim/emblems painted to match. Any sparkle looks odd with a flat theme.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
your qoute is too expensive...i was qoute for wrap 2200.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
Wrap is the way to go. Waaay cheaper then paint. Alot of times it will look better too. Matte paint can get ruined easily. If you get a scratch, you will have trouble matching the paint again.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 AM
FastrTHNu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Omarcoolguy
my hood is wrapped

Wrap first 110%. For one THIS car is very nice looking (killer front end set-up Omarcoolguy!) and You can save the original panels.

OTHER wise, I do not think I would re-paint over my factory stuff.
Just but used body panels off eBay. Im sure LA Porsche Dismantlers can get some stuff if not all.

Buddy of mine painted his '08 M6 flat black. Hands down, the worst way to spend $10K every 4-6 months.

Good luck!!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned
Hllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura about
Wrap it. The you can play with different colors and themes when you get the itch.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:30 AM
bb996+r1 is infamous around these parts
Wrap it don't paint it.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:53 AM
i have wrap before and not happy with the result...(i'm perfectionist) :-)
Anyhow my car need paint new body kit + hood and some scratches and dents.So what is the point to not repainted all?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 AM
anthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond repute
You do realize with the latest technology you can choose any color you like, use regular 2-stage paint and the clear is used to create either a flat, matte, or satin look. This allows you to choose any color, the flexibility to choose the degree of the matte finish look, and the maintenance endurance of a normal paint job.

Last edited by anthinino; 03-13-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Thank you anthinio...i started these thread with question of what color would you choose...
And end up to have educational coments pointing to wrap.I did my homework and now what is the last technology to paint flat finish with easy maitanence and perfect result.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM
anthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond repute
When I was looking into the matte or flat finish, what I was told by experience hot rod shop is that a lot of shops believe the only way to do a matte finish is with one-stage paints with many coats and stay away from using clearcoat for fear that the clearcoat would add a sheen to the paint. However Dupont and PPG have a specially designed clearcoat for matte finish which allows the matte look in a 2 or 3 stage process which provided the protection of the clearcoat to the paint and also allows for the flexibility to create the degree of matte look you want from flat to satin by way of the clearcoat not the actual paint.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flat paint cars