996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Radiator and engine fan mods

Old 03-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Radiator and engine fan mods

I just did both. I'm hoping to keep my engine temps down on the track. A couple things to make this easier. The relay box is to the right and above the fuse box. It's very hard to read the relay numbers. You want relay number 20 & 22. They are on the bottom row (the row closet to the floor) and last on right (22) and two over (20). If you have fat fingers use a large needlenose to gently pull it out. There are 4 prongs, #85 is the one you use, it's marker on the underside of the relay. Imagine a n,s,e,w when looking at the empty relay socket. # 85 is the e prong. Put some 16/18 wire in the little slit and jam the relay back in, press firmly. Turn your key on and touch the other bare end to some metal, you should hear your fan come on. I routed the wire over some air duct an into the spot for your manuals under your steering wheel. For the ground wire, I unscrewed the screw by the gas pedal, sanded under the head a little to make sure there is bare metal to make a good ground. I stripped the wire 1/2 inch and wound it around the screw and tightened it up. I routed this wire over the air duct also and into the manual spot. I used those little female 1/4" solderless connectors on the wire ends. The single ground wire from the gas pedal slipped onto one of the male ends on the toggle switch. The two wires from the relay box slipped onto the male 2-1 male and this then this slipped onto the other male toggle. I taped the toggle just barely sticking out of the manual holder. Turn your key on, flick the toggle switch and you'll hear both fans turn on.

The engine fan is the same but much easier because of the location. The relay box is under the carpet on the drivers side. Put your seatbacks down and pull out the thick foam piece. Unscrew the three nuts pull flip over the silver relay holder. The relay # is 8, it's easy to find since you can read the relay numbers on the relay holder. You use pin # 85 again. Slip the bare wire in and jam the relay back in. I used the front nut where you tighten the relay holder as my grounding location. I used 1' of wire for each wire, used the same connectors and slipped them on the two prong toggle switch. I have my seatbacks down so I have the toggle switch just sitting out of the seam from the thick piece of foam. I left extra wire under the foam for when I need to pull the toggle switch out further. You could run the wire from the relay all the way up to the same spot as your other toggle switch, use the gas pedal screw again for the ground as you did for the radiator toggle and have both toggle switches in the same location.

Both mods took about 1.5 hours combined. I bet I could do both in 30 minutes now.

I hope I have cooler temps on the track.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Are you over heating on the track? Any engine mods?