Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 996
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.
Sponsored by Spec Clutch

Gas Pump Shutting Off Early...

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM

02C4S is on a distinguished road
Gas Pump Shutting Off Early...

I've had my car for a couple of months and I'm experiencing an annoying problem. I'm having problems with the gas pumps shut off very early when filling the tank? Is this common on the 996? I seem to have the most problems at SoCal Chevron stations. I have yet to get a full tank as I'm afraid of "clicking" my way to an overfill spill. Is there a vent or something clogged on my car?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM

Wicked 996 will become famous soon enoughWicked 996 will become famous soon enough
mine does also. the newer pumps seem to be a little more touchy. I try to "clock" the hose away from the 6 o'clock position and try to keep it as close to 9 or 3 as possible and seems to work.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM

jarrod0073 is on a distinguished road
i have not had this problem but i hae read about it here and the easy fix is to turn the pump handle uoside down placing the hose at 12 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

geetee is a splendid one to beholdgeetee is a splendid one to beholdgeetee is a splendid one to beholdgeetee is a splendid one to beholdgeetee is a splendid one to beholdgeetee is a splendid one to beholdgeetee is a splendid one to behold
Pump sideways.....
Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Goldduster is on a distinguished road
I spent lots of money trying to correct this on my 2004 C4S, finally gave up and just put the gas nozzle in upside down.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:18 PM

teflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond reputeteflon_jones has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones Send a message via Skype™ to teflon_jones
Very common problem. You can help by parking with the driver's side down lower. It can be really touchy. You can also stick the fuel nozzle in an inch short of all the way.
My Turbo build thread
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM

2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
holding the nozzle completely upside upside down works perfect evertime, feels akward at first, but as soon as it shut off don't try to dribble a little more in because it will spill out. ? Don't know know why but it works great, wide open until it stops!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:00 PM

02C4S is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. I'll try the various methods!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM

asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
There is a complex systme for vapor recovery, it will cause the pump to shut off, it runs off a single fuse, the same one as the optional Cell phone. from there, it is a mess of hoses and pumps
2002 996 C2 Cabrio - K&N intake, IPD Plenum, AP Cans, Schnell Headers, Alcantara Trim, Silver Gauge Face, FOCAL Audio 100KR Fronts 130KR Rears(w/adapter) 13KS Subs in doors,Focal 4.75 and 5.500 Amp, Custom 10" Orion Sub

2008 BMW 535xi Wifeys Car
Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 PM

KAZ911 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtime View Post
holding the nozzle completely upside upside down works perfect evertime, feels akward at first, but as soon as it shut off don't try to dribble a little more in because it will spill out. ? Don't know know why but it works great, wide open until it stops!
huh, interesting, I've been having the same issue, i'll try this next time
Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Tags
996, adapter, chevron, colorado, early, gas, nozzle, porsche, prematurely, pump, pumps, shut, shutoff, shuts, shutting