996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help. Strange exhaust noise from my 996 with PSE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 PM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice

I have noticed this strange exhaust noise / rattle for the past few months. Just got the car back from mechanic in Lake Forest (Hergeshemier) for the 60k service and they could not find anything.
It's very noticable when driving cold and also even more noticable when driving close to buildings/homes. It sounds like I have a exhaust leak. Sometimes like a harley davidson kind of sound.
I tried rubber hammering the cats with engine cold to hear any loose sound, but nothing.
Is it time for dealership?
Has anyone heard this symptom before? Do PSE's go bad?
Open for suggestions.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:03 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Could be a baffle inside the muffler coming lose.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:05 AM
tonybony123 is on a distinguished road
tonybony

i dont know if its the same rattle, but i have a 996 2001 with twin exhausts and apperently there is a flap inside each pipe that is active when the engine is cold and it does rattle audably but when the engine is warmed up the flaps stop opperating and the rattle stops, this is all quite normal

Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
I kinna like that rattle....

Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM
prsdoc is on a distinguished road
I'd agree with the above comments; likely the baffles in the PSE.

Have you tried disengaging the PSE baffles? Meaning if your system has active baffles, (quiet between 25-40 mph) rather than wide open loud all the time.

Try this link:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2470

Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 AM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
I don't have a switch to override the baffles. Is it something that could be removed by dealer? Mine was apparently set to wide open since i don't have the wiring to the front of the car.
Please tell me why baffles have gone bad after 30k? how easy is it to fix this baffle issue?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The default on the PSE is open/loud. It takes vacuum lines, a change over valve and switches to have an "active" PSE (by the way there is a setup for this for sale right now by an owner on Rennlist). If ou don't have the system to switch over the PSE than by default it is always open/loud.

Baffles coming loose in the 996 mufflers, either stock or PSE, is not uncommon.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:55 AM
BigDaddy will become famous soon enoughBigDaddy will become famous soon enough
Hey,

some guys here in germany open their PSE and then they make some welding points inside the muffler...after that no more noise in those mufflers !!

Greetz....

Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 AM
This is strange. This week I made an appointment to take the car to dealer. (I have extended warranty). But today I noticed the noise is gone. ???
Did the baffle come loose and exit through the exhaust? Or is it stuck in a position now that doesn't make the noise?
I am puzzled.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM
SAZ
SAZ is on a distinguished road
2004 996 4s. problem was cats. had both replaced under warranty. 24k miles.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Update:I replaced the driver side PSE muffler with factory exhaust that I had in storage and the noise/rattle is gone.
I did some research and found out that Darin at FDMotorsport has seen this problem with loose baffles. He asked me to send the exhaust to him so he can weld the part that comes loose. I hope to get it back soon, cause the stock muffler sound doesn't do justice.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SAZ
2004 996 4s. problem was cats. had both replaced under warranty. 24k miles.
I had the same issue at about 70K miles. My cats were replaced and the rattle stopped.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 AM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
7k worth of mufflers these days, and they fail. Nice, Porsche.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 AM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dharn55
(by the way there is a setup for this for sale right now by an owner on Rennlist).
Link pls ? couldn't' t find it

Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Originally Posted by yellowbmr
When I first saw the heading, I thought we were going to have to tell you that was your engine you were hearing for the first time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help. Strange exhaust noise from my 996 with PSE