996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Vertex Auto in Miami, Fl.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 PM
valley996 is on a distinguished road
Vertex Auto in Miami, Fl.

I am considering buying a rebuilt Tiptronic transmission for my 1999 996 C2 from Vertex auto. Has anyone used them and how were they?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
I have bought from Vertex since the 90's mostly petty stuff like hood shocks, stress bars... everything ok. I'm thinking on their Schnell 996TT exhaust tips, most likely go for those.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
Go for it pretty good deal. Vertex Auto gave me a catalog recently good company as far I am concerned.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Vertex Auto is a legit business and alot of guys in Miami are running around with there parts bc of there prices being so competitive. I purchased a intake off them 2yrs ago and they were great to work with.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 PM
MalcolmV is on a distinguished road
Vertex Auto

I have bought a number of add on parts from them. Always proffessional and fast.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
John L is on a distinguished road
I also had a great experience with them when UPS lost/never delivered my front strut brace....they shipped another one and took care of business very professionally. I would buy from them again....don't happen to need a tranny right now but I would trust them if I did.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The only time I bought from them they shipped me the wrong part. But they took care of it and refunded my money right away. Seem to be good folks.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 PM
bruceinmiami is on a distinguished road
i bought a couple of things from them a couple of years ago. my credit card number got pirated right after their payment. it was fishy as hell.

visa and myself couldnt prove anything, so it will just remain my opinion that you be careful.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:52 AM
rennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to behold
Haven't used them recently but I bought a ton of stuff from them back in the late 80's. They've been around for some time.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:59 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
OP, if you do buy from them let us know how it goes.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 PM
The Dark Knight is on a distinguished road
Good Shop; long time in the Porsche business. I have bought parts for an '83 SC from them and sold them a core 996 Tipto box in '08. Easy to deal with, quick shipping and quick payment for part I sent them. The price for their rebuilt Tip is pretty competitive and they completely go through and change everything that wears including rebuilding the torque converter. I am definitely considering them for the replacement Tipto if the need arises.

Our complete Porsche Transmission rebuilds include, but are not limited to, the following parts:

OEM Oil Pump
Rebuilt Torque Converter
Complete Bearing Set
All Clutch Packs
OEM Master Seal Kit

There is another shop out of Colorado, but I think their price is $5K plus though. And, there is another $6K solution in the enclosed link.

I used uShip for the shipping and got a winning bid of $250 from http://www.uship.com/profile/engineshipping/ one way from Pennsylvania, but they have a good shipper as well for the roundtrip.

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/208722%20Porsche%20996%20C2%20Rebuilt%20Tiptronic% 20Transmission.aspx

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214626&chapter= EPQ402&appSectionid=14&groupid=61945&make=29&model =911&year=2001&catalogid=1

TDK

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-12-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: active links to commercial non-sponsor
Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 PM
mike996tt is on a distinguished road
Frissen, I bought the schnell black chrome quad tips from them and recieved a flawed one in the pair. I simply called them and had another tip in 2 days. They charged my card for the new tip and said they will reimburse my card when they recieved the flawed one. I had to follow up with them to get my credit card credited. Just be careful IMO. On a positive note, the new tips are absolutely beautiful against my speed yellow turbo. Great price and great quality product!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 PM
996SC is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Bad experience with Vertex

The only time you know a business vendor is good or bad is when you encounter a problem and they treat you fairly and honestly. My experience with Vertex Auto is not a good one.

I ordered a rebuilt front axle from Vertexauto.com early this year(2011) since my CV boot was leaking and bearing is pretty bad. I received the rebuilt axle pretty quickly within a week in CA. The axle has new boots on both ends and looks OK so I installed it in my 996 and check on the play on the bearings just by wiggling it on the frame. I found that the rebuilt axle bearing was as bad as my old one with same kind of play on the bearing so it did not work for me. That was understanding since Vertex stated that the rebuilt axle they sell only have the new CV boot and Joint NOT bearing so I called them up and about my situation. First I heard from the salesman on the phone was "No way" and then the he transferred me to the tech. I explained the situation to the tech and he said they do check the bearing but he did understand it may be overlooked. I said I just want to fix my car so I will exchange for the new ones they sell with new bearing. The tech agreed and he said that I will get a full refund on the rebuilt axle by shipping it back to them but I need to pay for the new on first so they can shipped it be me. I agree so I did get the new axle within a week again and I installed it and every as good as new. I sent the rebuilt axle back to them as soon as I received the new one and UPS confirmed that they received it. I check my credit card a week or so later but no refund was made on the rebuilt axle I sent back. I email the sale department to remind them and again they assure me it will be refund within 2 to 3 days. I waited another week went by and I checked my credit online again and still no refund. So now I emailed the salesman again telling him still no refund made. And again the salesman emailed me back telling me to be patient and assure me again refund within 2 to 3 days if not call them to let them know. Another 7 days again went by and still no refund. It's been a month now since I returned the part and I just have enough of this since a customer should not have to chase down the seller for something they promise to do. So now I decided to file a claim on my credit card and I am out of $490.22 (Part+core charge)

I hated to talk trash about a business since I am a business owner myself but I would never treat my customer this way. So BUYERS BEWARE!

Last edited by 996SC; 03-11-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
That's the problem with large expensive parts from third party vendors, that they have to be installed by your local indie.

The alternative is having your indie source the part and install it. In this way is his warranty and labor. Problem is that they tend not to trust some other supplier's word... leaving them with either rebuilding the part themselves (and tips are not done but in a few places) or getting a rebuild Porsche one for more money.

I have looked into this tip replacement issue for then the time comes. Options seem, so far:

1 - Vertex at the best price and with generally good recommendations - Plus add another 1-1.5k for installation. CONS: if something goes wrong, you'll have to pay shipping again and most likely your indie again too, for labor. I have not looked into if they do the upgrades.

2 - www.freddiestransmissionservice.com, which quoted me around 5k, plus shipping... they seem to make all the upgrades as Porsche does with their rebuilt stuff. Pretty good site to learn about the different porsche transmissino models, too. If I would live close to them I'd probably have them install it and guarantee work.

3 - Porsche rebuilt, with all the upgrades in torque converter and such. My indie quoted me 9.5k out of the door, with his and Porsche warranty.

Basically, the cheaper option is about half of the Porsche option... even if it goes wrong, other than the hassle it seems like worth the try with VERTEX.

You can try to find a place that does Beemer trannies as some models use the exact same transmission model than your car.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-12-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non sponsor site
Old 03-11-2011, 08:01 PM
The Dark Knight is on a distinguished road
@ 996SC,

I dealt directly with the owner. His name is Gilbert. I was able to Google the company and get the info: http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florid...mi-fl-26001549

Business Contact and Profile

Name: Vertex International Automotive
Phone: (305) 442-2727
Fax: (305) 442-1072
Address: 3030 SW 38th Avenue
Miami, FL 33146
Principal: Mr. Gilbert Mesa, President
File Open Date: February 2001
Type of Business: Automobile Transmission Repairing
BBB Accreditation: This company is not a BBB Accredited business.
Additional DBA Names: Vertex Auto

He was a stand up guy with me and that is who handled my transaction since I was selling something to them the last time I dealt with them. I am sure you can get some traction dealing with him since it's his business and reputation on the line.

Good luck! TDK

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-12-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non sponsor site

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.