996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need some adive on this 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 03:52 PM
crazyed71 is on a distinguished road
Need some advice on this 996

hey guys,
found a 2000 millennium with 100XXX miles on chassis. owner said a few thousand miles back original engine had IMS failure. He ordered a used engine (40k ) had it installed with LM IMS fix (+new clutch). Spoke to the mechanic (reputable) and he said car is good. Owner has all receipts, and the car seems to have been well maintained.
Interior is nice (all options avail in 00), minor ware on seats, but the burl maple is cracked on doors, i know that is expensive to replace with originals... exterior is pretty good, if anything very minor paint issues in the spoiler louvers and on roof, but overall good. Engine sounds great, no noises or ticks what so ever.... He is asking 20k, but negotiable.

I would like opinions, and what i should offer....

BTW- just sold a 500hp built trans-am, and I cant wait to get in a 911!
Mike

Last edited by crazyed71; 07-10-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:06 PM
stockid will become famous soon enoughstockid will become famous soon enough
Pictures would be nice.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:13 PM
here are some, but they dont due justice...

Attached Images     
Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Well, have you driven it? Plus would not trust his mechanic. If you like the car go and get a PPI on it and negotiate that off the price.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 PM
is it a fair price? some of the wood needs to be replaced, and that of course would be negotiated. From what i understand, once the IMS is changed with a sump fed bearing, these engines can o many miles. Is that correct?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Are you going to a porsche mechanic and getting a pre purchase inspection? If the engine is good with the flaws that you say are there. You drove it and you like it. It is fully optioned....17,500-18k.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
I'm with stockid on this. 18K max. The engine may be lower mileage but the rest of the car still has 100K miles and 17~18K is the going price for a car of that age/mileage.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:13 PM
thank you all, i'll have a PPi at the local dealer, and offer 17k... lets see how it goes...

Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
chsu74 is on a distinguished road
You can verify the IMS bearing replacement with the car's VIN number by calling Flat6 or LNE.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
No such thing as a sump fed IMS bearing on these cars. I would also check the serial number on the engine and see if you can determine the year of the engine that was put in the car. That should tell you what updates are in the engine. Also, you can never really tell the actual mileage on a used engine.

As for the wood trim, it is pretty expensive. I have a brand new set of the handles and bin covers that I bought a few years ago, never have installed it. Might sell it, have to think about it. But there are a couple of different shades/tone of wood so that would have to be verified.

Get a PPI and good luck.

Last edited by Dharn55; 07-12-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Mil911 is on a distinguished road
I am familiar with this car.

Have the headlights been fixed ? The Lightronic headlights did not go up and down the last I knew. That may or may not be important to you, as long as it passes a Virginia State Inspection.
The motor came from German Auto Dismantlers and Joe or one of his guys would have done the IMS bearing retrofit if it was done. Do a search here on German Auto Dismantlers just for your own background info.

You are correct, the mechanic who changed the engine is very reputable and he knows the car and told me the same things as you have mentioned. If you want a PPI, take it to him, he knows way more than the local dealership guys about the car and he wont steer you wrong.

The car has a bit of wear on it, it looked like a very nice car but the more I looked at it and other cars, the more I discovered that it was not an excellent or good condition car. The little things add up quickly but that can be said about anything with a P-Car. As long as you are fine with it, I did not notice anything major, just many cosmetic issues such as scratches, small dents, the peeling on the wheels, etc...

As far as what you have asked about the engine, there is much posted here about the subject. The company that made the kit, LN Engineering basically has said that there is not enough long term data to guarantee that their kit has solved the problem. It is certainly a good step in the right direction, but I think many are just going to consider the IMS bearing a maintenance item and replace it when the clutch is done.

As others have mentioned, the price is too strong for the car. Having looked at that car, then several others I can tell you to take your time and look around. There are nice cars out there, not many in that price range but there are a few.