996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

DIY color match bumperette

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
DIY color match bumperette

DIY color match bumperette ( I know it's been done already) But thought I'd share mine.

Ugly plastic/rubber look

Remove it with 8mm Allen wrench I think...

Scuff it with scuff pad (3M red) after....wipe it with a microfiber with alcohol so it takes the grease off.

Primer it, wait for about 20 mins depending on coat applied. Then scuff it lightly and repeat alcohol wipe. Then it's ready to be painted.

Should paint it light first coat....

Then follow with multiple coats, it's your call of how many coats. I put 4.

Then clear coat. Again light to heavy coats...

And more clear coat about 5 coats. It's normal to have orange peel (wavy finish) It will be wet sanded soon...

Let it dry. I waited until the next day for the clear coat to fully dry and ready to be wet sand...

This is what you need after the wet sand. 3M cut and 3M polish. Wool polisher and Mother's ball. Of course wet sand it with anywhere from 1000-1200 grit. I used 1000 more aggressive and less time to sand.

After the wet sand and buffing. It should look glossy. If you see more sanded marks/lines you can resand more lightly then re polish. No more orange peel !!!

Reinstall the bumperette and your done!

Last edited by Nine_Eleven; 07-15-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Boy, you've got more time on your hands than I do...

Looks much better,

-Eli

Old 07-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
great diy!!!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Looks great! Just last week my car rolled backwards in the garage and when I went to open the the garage door, it hit both bumperettes...I don’t think they come off as easy on a 997...I’ll have check...I think I have to remove the whole rear bumper to take the b.ettes off???

Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Where is you get the paint. I found an on-line source for 12oz cans of touch-up paint in Ocean Blue but I am worried about the match. I got some for my Ford Expedition and it was not a great match, and that is a common Ford color.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:53 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
that turns out nice.. & looks much better than OEM...I'm glad I painted mine..

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Where is you get the paint. I found an on-line source for 12oz cans of touch-up paint in Ocean Blue but I am worried about the match. I got some for my Ford Expedition and it was not a great match, and that is a common Ford color.
try automotivetouchup.com....My car is Ocean blue also & they did a great job at matching the color...It cost about $20.00 a can & well worth the price...been there customer for years & very satisfy.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Wow, that looks excellent. How would this process differ if you were painting a center console or other plastic interior part?

MKC2, do you think one of those cans could do an entire lower center console?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:24 PM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
??

What brand and type of paint?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:31 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Great Job... If mine had not already been painted I would definatly do the same.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MkC2
try automotivetouchup.com.
I've bought almost a half dozen different colors with these guys in the past and have had good experience. I've also tried tower paint and paintscratch.com and I prefer these guys over both but depending on their work load, the turn around time to get paint isn't always the fastest.

P.S. Def get their clear coat as well. Pretty decent clear from a can imo.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 PM
FlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to beholdFlipMo is a splendid one to behold
That came out awesome. Painted Bumperettes is on the top of my TO DO LIST.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by aerogt3
MKC2, do you think one of those cans could do an entire lower center console?
I think it's best if you get 2 cans...1 can is too thin..IMO...+ if something goes wrong..you have some extra paint to fix it...lord know I srcewed up a few times..

Originally Posted by nijoma
What brand and type of paint?
I think it's there own brand & the type is acrylic urethane

Attached Images   
Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Beautiful job!

Old 07-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
Nothing fancy. I went to Autozone and got Duplicolor gloss black and clear. Done! Since my car is black it easy to match. If you're car has a different color than regular black, you can go to Ned's auto paint store.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Great job

I am going to give it a try

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY color match bumperette