996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Accelerator Pedal

Old 07-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Shecky is on a distinguished road
Accelerator Pedal

Does anyone know how to remove it? I've removed the one nail holding down the assembly, but it still isn't coming off. Can anyone chime in with instructions or somethin'?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Shecky
Does anyone know how to remove it? I've removed the one nail holding down the assembly, but it still isn't coming off. Can anyone chime in with instructions or somethin'?
Porshe instructions:

Better Instructions 1:

Orignally Posted by Van [post 16]
Originally Posted by VAN
OK gang, I had great success! The key to getting the pedal out it, like Waynesworld said, it to pull the top of the pedal away from the bulkhead about 1/2 an inch. There's even a nice little "handle" on the top of the pedal for this (about the size of a cell phone antenna). There is a round "boss" that locks the pedal into the sheet metal, so by pulling the top away, this boss clears the metal and the pedal just slides right up.

The pictures below outline what I did to take it apart, disconnect the cable, clean the moving parts (which I did with some Q-tips, then used a very small amount of Krytox teflon grease) and reassemble it.

I also discovered the cause of the "side-to-side" play and used a little screw wedged in just the right place to eliminate it.

The metal shaft where the cable cam pivots was the primary area of "contamination". A bit of grit came out of there!

Oh, one more thing to note: As Michael said, getting the screw to line up when you put the pedal back can cause some head scratching and cursing. I tried several times, but that screw just wouldn't line up... Then I realized, that locking boss, which I mentioned earlier, wasn't sitting in its hole. I pushed the pedal down firmly then pushed it AGAINST the bulkhead, the boss popped into place, and then it was lined up perfectly and the screw went right in!
Better Instructions 2:

Originally Posted by MJBird993 [post 9]

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Well Jake, although few people apparently have had this problem, I decided to post my solution in case it can help someone else down the road.

My car is an '02 - I don't know when or how the pedal may have changed for other years.

There is one screw holding in the acclerator pedal assembly. Remove this screw. You then need to slide the assembly up about 1/2 inch and then pull it out. You could now disassemble it, but what I did was to slide up the boot (the rubber thingie) that protects the interior.

The way this thing works is that there is a rod that connects the pedal via a ball and socket joint to a half round pivot that is connected to the throttle cable. It's hideously over-engineered, but with the engine in the wrong place I guess it makes sense. I squirted a little oil on the ball and socket joint and worked the pedal several times. There is also a hole in the back of the assembly, so I squirted some more oil from the backside. There is nothing electronic in there, so there are no worries about oil messing something up.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Except that I had trouble getting the stupid thing lined-up to get the screw back in. You'll figure it out - just be sure to line up the round tab and get it inserted into the bracket. Once I got that, it was fine. Note that it is easier to reinsert the boot before you put the assembly back in the car. That keeps out the dirt that probably caused the problem in the first place.
PICS [Credit to Van]
These relate to fixing any side-to-side movement in the gas pedal. But the pics help illustrate what the pedal looks like and how it comes off.

Last edited by himself; 07-20-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:35 PM
WaddyP is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2000 C2. I just took out the accelerator pedal and cleaned and lubed it. Wow what a difference. Now starting in 1st as well as small amounts of gas pedal use in parking lots is so much smoother. No more jerkyness. I highly recommend doing this if you have a sticky pedal.