996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

IMS Failure

Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 AM
abcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of light
IMS Failure

Hey guys just want to know how many of you have had IMS Bearing failure and how many miles were on the car when it happened. My car has is a 01 c4 with 12350.. I have the engine out now and we are installing the new bearing by ln engineering

Old 08-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Mother will become famous soon enough
Search is your friend.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:07 PM
carsareart is on a distinguished road
They seem to happen at all different mileages. It seems like many of the cars were low mileage cars not driven too often. Hard to say with out making a career of research. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:52 PM
ClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura aboutClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura about
Best explaination I've heard.

Cars not driven much. Condensation forms in the crankcase. Water naturally goes to the bottom, which is were the IMS bearing is located. The sealed bearing has a tendency to be wash out with engine oil. In time water makes it way into the bearing. In time the bearing fails. Remember in time ALL bearings fail.

This is just a theory I've heard, but makes sense to me. So run you engine regularly long enough to evaporate interal condensation. Change oil annually or 7500mi which ever comes first. I wonder how many oil changes your 12,000mi engine has had?

Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
92,000 miles here, and going strong on my original engine. No issues.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 AM
GREERJ1 is on a distinguished road
Replaced mine in an '01 c2 with 92,000

Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM
abcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of lightabcwoodworking is a glorious beacon of light
hey click click yearly documented oil changes on this car. just not enough miles on it. new ims bearing arrived going to install tomorrow. will let everyone know the outcome. motor cleaned up all visable metal removed. lets hope for the best.. thanks to ln engineering for all there help.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
my old 1999 c2 cab had 62k when it .....

Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM
This ims is a real problem and its time we get all the names of people and start a class action suit. i'm willing to do the leg work to get this going so anyone that has had this problem pm me your info so you dont loose rep points to.

Last edited by abcwoodworking; 08-18-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 AM
damborg is on a distinguished road
Exclamation IMS failure

I had mine IMS failure 2 months ago....and the car is still at my local Porsche shop for repair....

I had my failure at 60.000 kilometers - so agree on the fact that it is often engines with low mileage....

I have discussed the matter Porsche HQ in Germany and Porsche Denmark, with no major result

Old 08-22-2010, 04:07 PM
ok spent the weekend cleaning the motor and installing the new ims bearing. engine is ready to go back in car on tuesday. if anyone is attempting to do this themselves it wasnt as hard as the instructions made it out to be. the hardest part was getting the old bearing out and cleaning out all the metal peices. lets keep outr fingers crossed. if anyone is on long island and needs the kakka pullers let me know and you can borrow them since they were a few hundred dollars....

Old 08-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Goldduster is on a distinguished road
I'm a little confused - Wouldn't the current IMS and RMS that Porsche makes be up to quality standards, by this time. Therefore, why not just get the latest Porsche part rather than go aftermarket. After all they changed engines in 2005 (I think?)

Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 AM
GREERJ1 is on a distinguished road
Was the bearing in several pieces or heavily worn? Did you
lock the cams in place and remove the chain tensioners?
James Greer

Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 PM
ln engineering has the only parts available for this. porsche does not have an assembly that even comes close to this quality.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 PM
My bearing was gone. i dropped the pan cleaned everthing removed the oil pump pickup, and cleaned everything out. i pulled the cam plugs to make sure the timing did not jump and everything was dead on. i did bring everything to top dead center and use a 1/8 punch to lock in place.. since the timing marks were right on what i did was go about 10 degrees past top dead center and then brought the pulley back. to dead center. this gave enough slack to bring the shaft to the center of the opening so i didn't have to remove the tensioners. Im hoping everything is ok because it was running fine when i shut it down and there was plenty of oil pressure.
I removered the pan and found some pieces of metal but it looks like most of it stayed in the intermediate shaft. i removed and disassembled the oil pump and found no metal filings in there. there was some filings in the filter.
i'm starting to put the engine back in the car tonight and hopefully have it up and running later in the week.

Last edited by abcwoodworking; 08-23-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: IMS Failure