996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I don't like driving the 996 on the street!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:21 AM
trackjunkie is infamous around these parts
I don't like driving the 996 on the street!!

so I got a 997

Last edited by trackjunkie; 01-14-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by trackjunkie
It's not comfortable
The a/c doesn't work, the a/c doesn't work after a recharge
It's not practical
For what it's supposed to be, it's pretty comfortable. If you have 17" wheels, which few seem to have, the ride is much better than if you have 18" wheels. It's not the quietest car on the highway, but if you're driving by yourself, the engine sound is like music.
My A/C works great, even on 90+ degree days. The fan is a bit noisy though.
For a sports car, it's quite practical. You can fit two carryon suitcases in the trunk and a lot of stuff in the back with the seats folded down. What more were you expecting, to be able to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood?

What I've found is that this car is most fun when you're driving at double the posted speed limit, which of course is a bit of a limitation. That's what makes autocrosses and track driving so much fun.

Now that I think about it, I have to take the car out of the garage and just drive it this weekend.

Enjoy.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
For what it's supposed to be, it's pretty comfortable. If you have 17" wheels, which few seem to have, the ride is much better than if you have 18" wheels. It's not the quietest car on the highway, but if you're driving by yourself, the engine sound is like music.
My A/C works great, even on 90+ degree days. The fan is a bit noisy though.
For a sports car, it's quite practical. You can fit two carryon suitcases in the trunk and a lot of stuff in the back with the seats folded down. What more were you expecting, to be able to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood?

What I've found is that this car is most fun when you're driving at double the posted speed limit, which of course is a bit of a limitation. That's what makes autocrosses and track driving so much fun.

Now that I think about it, I have to take the car out of the garage and just drive it this weekend.

Enjoy.

Practical in the sense I have to slow down for parking lot entrances, speed bumps, watch for potholes, worry where I park, I've had to replace 3 tires in 2 months of owning it.

The ac doesn't work because of a control module, I'm too lazy to buy a new one and change it out thinking it's going to get cooler and I won't need it.

I guess I just love the track, although I'm going to need to get a better job if I'm going to fuel my addiction.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
If you don't like the street driving part of the 996 but love the track, let me recommend a lotus elise for a real track rat. It doesn't bother with any of the street comforts

Old 09-18-2010, 07:28 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by trackjunkie
I picked up my 996 back in july, drove 1200 miles home, and asked myself, why did I buy this car?

It's not comfortable
The a/c doesn't work, the a/c doesn't work after a recharge
It's not practical
And I should have invested the money spent, on vacations, or a down payment on a house, or letting it sit in the bank.

I drove it maybe twice a week when I first got it, out to dinner, or a sunday drive. I actually went on a drive with eurosunday and left early because driving fast on public roads is really dangerous, and on a road that I've never driven before, no thanks.

Wait, this car has made me more responsible??? In the M3 I had before I would be the first one in line taring up the back roads, in this car no.

Then I went to an auto-cross in this car, and began to see this is what the car is made for, I signed up for a track day the next day.

Got an alignment and new tires and went out to the track and really saw what the car was made for. I had a blast driving it, it's way more fun to drive than my m3 that was on race suspension.

I can't pinpoint what is so fun about driving it on the track though, it's not really like any other car, you really have to look ahead and let the car follow.

Now I just want to drive the car to and from the track and on the track. Am I crazy?
I find my 996 to be very comfortable and refined on public roads. Much more so than my previous BMW roadster, a highly-modified supercharged Z3. One thing it hates though is driving slow on these roads. It's just not comfortable running along at low speeds. I did choose the 996 over the older 911s due to its working a/c and refinement.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 AM
ScrnPrntr is on a distinguished road
I have to agree. I test drove an e46 M3 and was literally exhausted after pounding on that.
I got in the Carrera 4s and fell in love. the clutch was smoother, shorter throw, and quite frankly, way more civil on the road than the M3.

Ok. its rough, and a bit loud, but its a Porsche.

the grin factor, the looks, the power. its pure sex.

I have yet to track my Porsche, but i am looking forward to that experience almost as much as the birth of my children.

regards

Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Sounds like it is not really the car for you.

I look for reasons to drive mine.

It is very comfortable, the AC blows ice cold, it handles like a go cart and the sound the flat 6 makes is intoxicating.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM
max996 is on a distinguished road
996 way to go, purchased it to do a occasional drive with it, then tracked it, found out what it was capable of doing, and became hooked on the car.

Now I use it for occasional driving, not tracking, done about 19000 miles in 6 months, and owned several (54)new cars ranging from economy to upper class, but none are so much FUN as my 911, and yes twice the speed limit.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Mrbinks is on a distinguished road
My 996 fits my body like a glove. It feels like an extension of my body. Rough unrefined ride,hey
it's not a Cadillac,it's like nothing I've ever driven. At 6,000 rpm sounds and feals great.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 PM
KAZ911 is on a distinguished road
love my 996 on and off, but I do agree I worry about parking when I go out sometimes

Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Mrbinks is on a distinguished road
Ditto on the parking dilema.
I hope for the best and expect the worst. My 996 is a driver, the paint is not perfect but still
looks good. I parked it in an end space at the mall, was gone for 15 minutes and someone threw a coffee on it.
What do you do? Forgetta bout it!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Kirk will become famous soon enoughKirk will become famous soon enough
I reduced the deductible on my insurance down to nothing for comprehensive. Now I don't worry about parking as much. If I get damage, I'll have my insurance fix it. That gives me some peace of mind. But in the years of my owning Porsches I've never had parking lot damage. I just park a bit further away than others are comfortable walking.... Heck I go to the gym just about every single day, it's not going to hurt me to walk a little bit more, keeps me from getting too lazy!

Like others here I do find my car to be very comfortable and practical. With the front trunk and rear area it's actually extremely practical for a sports car. Does a Corvette, Lotus, Miata, S2000, or 90% of your other sports cars have this kind of space?

What do you not find comfortable about the car? Is it the seats? One odd thing is that the seats in my 996 C4S are slightly narrower and less comfortable than the ones in my 986 S. Funny thing is that they're exactly the same kind of OEM Porsche seat though. If the seat is uncomfortable for you that's not too expensive to fix. You may just want to look around for something different on the used market.

Kirk

Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 AM
carrelc is on a distinguished road
I've got the same problem...only worse. I don't enjoy driving any of my vehicles, whether it be my Porsche 996 Cabriolet, my BMW 760i, my Lexus LX470, or my Ducati 848. You would think one of these would be able to provide pleasurable basic transportation between point A and point B. I thought about buying a Bugatti Veyron or a Ferrari Enzo, but then realized that I would have to exit the car to get my toll-road ticket, so those two were ruled out :-)

I'm not sure I get the point of your post. Seams like you want us to feel sorry for you because you have difficulty deciding which car to back out of the garage. If you're really trying to tell us you like your new ride, start it off on a positive note. So I will vote that you're crazy, since you asked. Just kidding.

Your stable of vehicles leads me to believe you have financial wherewithal, so why don't you buy a truck and trailer, and drive you Porsche to the track? Problem solved.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 PM
ajliguori is on a distinguished road
It sounds like you have a problem with your A/C, my Black '03 carrera A/C works great in AZ even in the 116 degree heat.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 PM
I need to go back to school before I buy any more toys, I used to daily drive an esclade around town and it's nice not having to worry about bumps and stuff.

Yes the 996 is a great car, maybe I have a problem with my back, the only seats that offer me any comfort are ones with lumbar support.

Maybe once I fix the a/c and put some sparco evo's with lumbar support the car will be more enjoyable

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I don't like driving the 996 on the street!!