996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

1st post - suspension clunk on 996 4S

Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 AM
larspronne is on a distinguished road
1st post - suspension clunk on 996 4S

hi guys! 911 noob from norway with some Q's...

We had a muted clunk/rattle sound from the front end when going over small bumps, with the aftermarket lowering springs that came with the car.

Ordered the OEM springs and hoped this would go away, however the clunk/rattle is still there.

When I jacked up the car here the other day to put some snow tires on, I noticed that the front springs are real loose if I grab them and try to wiggle them a bit.

can anyone with the knowledge provide some info on this?

Are the springs supposed to be loose in the upper "cups" when the front arms are hanging all the way down?
it almost seems like the springs are too short for the shock and the dowward travel on the front arms..?

I have red about sway bars on this forum aswell, but since the springs felt so loose, this is my first assumption for the problem..

thanks alot!

br, Lars

Old 10-26-2010, 03:06 PM
so.....it seems this is a pretty common problem on these cars, and I did a search to find the droplink for the sway bar is usually the suspect.

I jacked the car up today and tried to pull on the droplink and swaybar, but they seem to be real tight to me..?

however, the wheel was off the ground, and suspesion arm hanging all the way down in the lower position - could this result in the droplink not moving even though i might be loose?

thanks, Lars

Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Wicked 996 will become famous soon enoughWicked 996 will become famous soon enough
I think this is fairly normal. my car did it stock and it does it with coil overs.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 PM
thanks man , thing is it wasnt there a couple of months ago, i swapped the lowering springs out for OEM, and now its even more noticeable....