996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Headlights

Old 04-10-2015, 02:11 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
HID Foglights on these LED Headlights

Hi guys. Sorry to resurrect this old thread. Just wanted to know if anyone who had these type of aftermarket headlight assembly replaced their H7 foglight bulbs with HID's?

I previously tried putting PIAA 100w halogens and unfortunately the heat warped the plastic lense :-(. I have read on another forum that HID'S run less hotter bulbs versus the halogens so I replaced them just now with HID'S - 35 watt 3000k (yellow colored).

I'm just wondering if I made the right decision and this would actually prevent the plastic lenses from warping again?

So has anyone installed HID'S to replace their foglight bulbs? Can you let us know if you had lense warping problems? I've replaced my low beams with 6000k HID'S and have no problem with heat and warping and this is maybe because the HID bulbs are ofcourse inside the projector housings.

Hope you could share your views. TIA!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:55 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
leave the rubber fog back over off...my was fine no warping

Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
Hi guys. Sorry to resurrect this old thread. Just wanted to know if anyone who had these type of aftermarket headlight assembly replaced their H7 foglight bulbs with HID's?

I previously tried putting PIAA 100w halogens and unfortunately the heat warped the plastic lense :-(. I have read on another forum that HID'S run less hotter bulbs versus the halogens so I replaced them just now with HID'S - 35 watt 3000k (yellow colored).

I'm just wondering if I made the right decision and this would actually prevent the plastic lenses from warping again?

So has anyone installed HID'S to replace their foglight bulbs? Can you let us know if you had lense warping problems? I've replaced my low beams with 6000k HID'S and have no problem with heat and warping and this is maybe because the HID bulbs are ofcourse inside the projector housings.

Hope you could share your views. TIA!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by geetee
leave the rubber fog back over off...my was fine no warping
Thanks for this! I'm guessing that this is the odd shaped rubber covering the back of the foglight bulb right? Removing it will decrease heat build up? But how about the moisture or rain??

Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Thanks for this! I'm guessing that this is the odd shaped rubber covering the back of the foglight bulb right? Removing it will decrease heat build up? But how about the moisture or rain??
if i remember correctly that weird squarish looking rubber cover.
no problems in heavy rain snow etc etc

Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 AM
Got it! Thanks!

I drove the P for an hour today for 1 hour having the foglights on and you're right. Well, so far so good, no warping!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:12 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I've had mine on the car for years now,No problems with running the fog lights even with the rubber housing on the back.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:21 PM
alanwestport is on a distinguished road
I have them on my triple black 996 cab in the black background version. LOVE em. I also have the high end rear led's. There is a big difference between the look of the rear led's that are installed on my car versus the cheap rear led's that are on ebay. I've seen them on the street and they look a bit like what you might see on a modded Honda versus the factory look that are on my car (IMHO). The headlights are around $1k, the tail lights are about $600. I know, it's a nut but WOW, it really really updates the look of the car. I get so many compliments. My paints in great shape so when people who don't know Porsches come up to it in a gas station or the such, they think it's an almost brand new car. I will say this, if you buy the headlights, plan on replacing the stock bulbs with xenon right away. I went with a 6k which is a bright white. Check out my pics on my profile page if you want to see for yourself. Alan. https://www.6speedonline.com/g/album/197167

Last edited by alanwestport; 05-28-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: adding
Old 05-29-2015, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by alanwestport
...I will say this, if you buy the headlights, plan on replacing the stock bulbs with xenon right away. I went with a 6k which is a bright white. Check out my pics on my profile page if you want to see for yourself. Alan. https://www.6speedonline.com/g/album/197167
Hi. I get that as well. The lights definitely do wonders specially to the untrained eyes :-) The black background you have fits your black P car like a glove!
Hope you don't mind a few questions: Are you running 6k xenons for the foglight as well? No warping for more than an hours' drive home at night time? Just curious if it's 6k versus my 3k. TIA!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 AM
alanwestport is on a distinguished road
Hi. I get that as well. The lights definitely do wonders specially to the untrained eyes :-) The black background you have fits your black P car like a glove!
Hope you don't mind a few questions: Are you running 6k xenons for the foglight as well? No warping for more than an hours' drive home at night time? Just curious if it's 6k versus my 3k. TIA!
Sorry I didn't read the nature of the your comments regarding HID's in the fog lamp until AFTER I posted my comments. Sorry. To answer your question, no. The last time that I saw fog was in 2013 and the freeway that I was on is so well lit that my fog lamps were useless.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:58 AM
cerg82 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alanwestport
I have them on my triple black 996 cab in the black background version. LOVE em. I also have the high end rear led's. There is a big difference between the look of the rear led's that are installed on my car versus the cheap rear led's that are on ebay. I've seen them on the street and they look a bit like what you might see on a modded Honda versus the factory look that are on my car (IMHO). The headlights are around $1k, the tail lights are about $600. I know, it's a nut but WOW, it really really updates the look of the car. I get so many compliments. My paints in great shape so when people who don't know Porsches come up to it in a gas station or the such, they think it's an almost brand new car. I will say this, if you buy the headlights, plan on replacing the stock bulbs with xenon right away. I went with a 6k which is a bright white. Check out my pics on my profile page if you want to see for yourself. Alan. https://www.6speedonline.com/g/album/197167
Very nice! I also have a triple black cab with the same taillights (smoked though) and have been struggling with the idea of switching to the front LEDs. They look awesome but I don't know if it's worth giving up the factory Litronics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2106.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	421153  
Old 05-29-2015, 02:14 PM
UrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enoughUrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enough
Can we see some more photos please, not fully convinced but leaning towards the idea. Silver 2004 C4S cab here, anyone have LED's on a silver 996.2 ?

Old 03-27-2016, 08:58 PM
iuri is on a distinguished road
Question on Factory Litronic

I love those LED headlights, but was told there may be issue fitting with my 996 which has the factory Litronic setup. Anyone knows will they work with 996 that already has HID? If so, is there any way to eork around it?

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:01 PM
MoeMonney will become famous soon enough
Would somene have this over the factory litronics? Im hesitant on the look. I have an Arctic Silver metalic 99 and Im not sure if they would go well.

Its either these or the litronic upgrade.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:21 PM
JB's 996 is on a distinguished road
All, after many years of toying with the idea of buying these, I pulled the trigger and got them! I have factory litronics, which have a separate connection for the HID's, would anyone please post how they made the connections when replacing the stock bulbs on these, I see 4 different cables with different color, how they connect to the new HID's?

Thank you!

Old 12-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
This is from the wiring diagram...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights