996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Just installed headers

Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Banned
Diablo360 is on a distinguished road
Just installed headers

For those of you thinking about installing your own headers but are worried about seized bolts, your concerns are probably unwarranted....... Just make sure you use plenty of PB Blaster to spray the bolts and let them soak for 15 minutes. The bolts came right off and the entire process was easier that changing the tires..... While I was swapping headers I went ahead and installed the Fabspeed copper gasket set, so hopefully that keeps everything nice and sealed.....

I'm glad I got under there and did it on my own. It made me realize how easy these cars are to work on, as long as you have the proper tools. Keep in mind that I have minimal mechanical experience. This was well worth the effort. Now it's on to my next task: SUSPENSION

Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 AM
jeneric996 is on a distinguished road
Sounds great. Which header did you install? Any noticable gains and any loss of power under 3000 rpm?

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned
I bought a pair of the ceramic coated Suncoast headers. Apparently they were really popular and the dyno gains were proven. I drove it around for a bit but didn't "feel" any gains. I still need to install the mufflers, so maybe that's why hehe.

Other than that, the sound of the car changed a lot. It has a meaner, more refined sound, and the headers actually took out a lot of the raspiness from running a straight pipe (no muffler/no cat) exhaust. Once I get my Afterhours mufflers on I'll report back.......

Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
egreaves20 is a jewel in the roughegreaves20 is a jewel in the roughegreaves20 is a jewel in the rough
Nice, let's see some pictures!!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM
rad288 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Diablo360
I bought a pair of the ceramic coated Suncoast headers. Apparently they were really popular and the dyno gains were proven. I drove it around for a bit but didn't "feel" any gains. I still need to install the mufflers, so maybe that's why hehe.

Other than that, the sound of the car changed a lot. It has a meaner, more refined sound, and the headers actually took out a lot of the raspiness from running a straight pipe (no muffler/no cat) exhaust. Once I get my Afterhours mufflers on I'll report back.......

When you say meaner.. do you mean a low rumble or louder? I'm thinking of doing exhaust too! waiting to hear what you think of the Afterhours muffler

Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned
Ok, just got back from an extended test drive. The sound of that the headers produced was a low rumble. If you have ever run, or heard a full bypass exhaust setup on these cars you know that the sound is very raspy and LOUD. The headers smoothed out the sound, and now that I have the test pipes on there, the bypass system sounds awesome! I honestly don't think I'm going to put the Afterhours exhaust on. Full bypass it is....... It has a wonderful high pitched sound above 3k rpm, and as long as I feather the gas from 2-3k rpm, I don't get that gurgle that is commonly associated with a full bypass system. This is PERFECT. Plus I'm setting my car up to be a track car, so this setup delivers the most power; and combined with the weight loss, it's a no brainer.

If anyone wants my Afterhours exhaust pm me for first dibs before I put it up for sale tonight.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Ok, just got back from an extended test drive. The sound of that the headers produced was a low rumble. If you have ever run, or heard a full bypass exhaust setup on these cars you know that the sound is very raspy and LOUD. The headers smoothed out the sound, and now that I have the test pipes on there, the bypass system sounds awesome! I honestly don't think I'm going to put the Afterhours exhaust on. Full bypass it is....... It has a wonderful high pitched sound above 3k rpm, and as long as I feather the gas from 2-3k rpm, I don't get that gurgle that is commonly associated with a full bypass system. This is PERFECT. Plus I'm setting my car up to be a track car, so this setup delivers the most power; and combined with the weight loss, it's a no brainer.

If anyone wants my Afterhours exhaust pm me for first dibs before I put it up for sale tonight.

I'm interested... how much

Old 02-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
So your set up right now is headers, cat bypass, muffler bypass?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Nine_Eleven
So your set up right now is headers, cat bypass, muffler bypass?
Yup. Actually, just headers and test pipes. I bought a set of Ebay muffler bypass pipes and the fitment is horrible. I'll probably just go to a muffler shop and have a custom set made, and see if they can make them resonated to reduce some of the sound. Other than that, I love this new setup and don't think it's too loud at all...... Only if I gun it

Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM
mine is totally stock right now... what do you guys reccomend.... I have VFE supercharger coming in.... should be here shortly.... would like to do all the mods at same time...

Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
Yup. Actually, just headers and test pipes. I bought a set of Ebay muffler bypass pipes and the fitment is horrible. I'll probably just go to a muffler shop and have a custom set made, and see if they can make them resonated to reduce some of the sound. Other than that, I love this new setup and don't think it's too loud at all...... Only if I gun it
Nice I have the same set up. It's definitely loud. But I like it loud.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rad288
mine is totally stock right now... what do you guys reccomend.... I have VFE supercharger coming in.... should be here shortly.... would like to do all the mods at same time...
I just finished my VF-E install.

I did headers, 200-cell cats, and mufflers at the same time. As for other things I did for the install were -- spark plugs and coil packs, oil change, as many cooling pipes I could get at to change, which resulted in a coolant flush.

I also removed the throttle body and did a thorough cleaning of it.

Cheers
Aaron

EDIT: I also did install an AFR gauge and a boost/vacuum gauge... details in my 6speed post link in my signature

Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 PM
pmkazz will become famous soon enoughpmkazz will become famous soon enough
For those of you thinking about installing your own headers but are worried about seized bolts, your concerns are probably unwarranted....... Just make sure you use plenty of PB Blaster to spray the bolts and let them soak for 15 minutes. The bolts came right off and the entire process was easier that changing the tires..... While I was swapping headers I went ahead and installed the Fabspeed copper gasket set, so hopefully that keeps everything nice and sealed.....

I'm glad I got under there and did it on my own. It made me realize how easy these cars are to work on, as long as you have the proper tools. Keep in mind that I have minimal mechanical experience. This was well worth the effort. Now it's on to my next task: SUSPENSION

I am glad you had good luck removing your old exhaust manifolds without breaking any bolts. When removing mine, I snapped four bolts. We did my friends and didn't break any. I guess it could be hit or miss..

Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Purplxd
I just finished my VF-E install.

I did headers, 200-cell cats, and mufflers at the same time. As for other things I did for the install were -- spark plugs and coil packs, oil change, as many cooling pipes I could get at to change, which resulted in a coolant flush.

I also removed the throttle body and did a thorough cleaning of it.

Cheers
Aaron

EDIT: I also did install an AFR gauge and a boost/vacuum gauge... details in my 6speed post link in my signature
Hi purplxd
how long have you had your FI?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Nine_Eleven
Nice I have the same set up. It's definitely loud. But I like it loud.

Yeah now I see what you were saying about the setup. In my initial test phase I was literally running straight out of the headers (no cats or test pipes), so the exhaust flow was messed up. It was loud, gurgled a lot, and was just a horrible setup. with the longer headers and the test pipes installed everything is perfect. For some reason it's not that loud. If oyurs still rumbles like crazy then try resetting the battery. After I did that on mine I wear it go a little quieter.....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just installed headers