Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 996
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.
Sponsored by Spec Clutch

Steering problem after the alignment.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 PM

mbworldz is on a distinguished road
Steering problem after the alignment.

Not sure how to explain this. I just did the four wheels alignment. But for some reason, after that when I test drive it on high speed, making sharp turns seems the steering is little loose and it is not firm as it used to be.
Lets say if there is an obstacle in front of me and I need to avoid that, if I steer the wheel fast, the car seems don't have the grip and I just feel like floating when steering left to right. I went to an empty street and tried that many times, the car will loose traction when make sharp turns. Looks like is from the front wheel. Does anyone have problem like that. Should I take it back to that alignment place and have them adjust it ? It wasn't like that before. Right now, I am just afraid this type of steering problem will cause accident. Steering is not firm at all. They have fixed the alignment problem, steering wheel is straight but car just not perform right. Please help.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Administrator

GT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond repute
without knowing your alignment settings before and after the alignment it is not possible to tell what exactly the problem might be...sounds like they changed your front toe setting, which could make the steering feel light and vague
Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Ya, thats exactly how I feel. Its light and vague.
If I going like 50 mph and all in a sudden make a sharp 40 degree steer to left and back to the right, The car will actually swinging. I just don't know the correct words to explain this problem.

So the toe settings will make the car like that? Why will they change the toe setting ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck View Post
without knowing your alignment settings before and after the alignment it is not possible to tell what exactly the problem might be...sounds like they changed your front toe setting, which could make the steering feel light and vague
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM

fast996 is on a distinguished road
they give u a print out of the settings before \ after the alighnment?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM

They do they by hand instead of computerized. I only have the receipt, thats it :-(

I know other places like firestone or just tires will give you a print out of the settings.

This is the place.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/monterey-ali...rvice-rosemead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast996 View Post
they give u a print out of the settings before \ after the alighnment?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Administrator

GT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond repute
even if they did it by hand they should have been able to give you specs in inches...did you give them any specifications to begin with?...(factory specs?) I think you need a more competent shop
Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 PM

jeneric996 is on a distinguished road
Two possible issues I can see. One, your tires already have significant wear and the re-alignment has changed the tires' contact patch. This may correct over time but will depend how bad the wear was before the re-alignment. Mine took a few thousand miles.

Second, if you have PSM (Porsche Stability Management), the steering wheel sensor may be off after the alignment. I doubt this happended; it's just a possibility.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 AM

himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbworldz View Post
Not sure how to explain this. I just did the four wheels alignment. But for some reason, after that when I test drive it on high speed, making sharp turns seems the steering is little loose and it is not firm as it used to be.
Lets say if there is an obstacle in front of me and I need to avoid that, if I steer the wheel fast, the car seems don't have the grip and I just feel like floating when steering left to right. I went to an empty street and tried that many times, the car will loose traction when make sharp turns. Looks like is from the front wheel. Does anyone have problem like that. Should I take it back to that alignment place and have them adjust it ? It wasn't like that before. Right now, I am just afraid this type of steering problem will cause accident. Steering is not firm at all. They have fixed the alignment problem, steering wheel is straight but car just not perform right. Please help.
Sounds like one culprit might be too much toe-in on the front. This will keep the car travelling straight on the highway, but will numb steering response a bit. It also chews tires faster.

But, as Chuck said, you really need to give us your actual settings - otherwise we are all just guessing without any facts.

-td
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
My guess is you need to find a shop that works on high performance vehicles... I'd give Eli at Wheel Dynamics a call and get a recommendation for the best locally... you are located very close to his shop!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosoomi1 View Post
My guess is you need to find a shop that works on high performance vehicles... I'd give Eli at Wheel Dynamics a call and get a recommendation for the best locally... you are located very close to his shop!

Thanks, we can certainly assist if needed, we can have the vehicle aligned by our Factory Trained tech. If we can have a day with it we can check everything out to ensure everything is fine.

I'm not sure if I can quote pricing without being chased off the board but let's just say Porsche charges on average $225/250, using the same equipment and talent you'll have 50-75 reasons to return the next time.

-Eli
Old 02-18-2011, 04:57 PM

Tags
aftet, alignment, allignment, dynamic, fault, firm, loose, loosened, perform, problem, steering, straight, tight, turns, wheel