996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Let's do a Coilover Comparo.....

Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Let's do a Coilover Comparo.....

Ok,

Thinking of updating the suspension possibly. Basics, do not do any autocross and rarely go to any track events (but want to possibly). Currently have H&R Sport Springs w/ the stock shocks and want to have more adjustability of the suspension and dampening, so here's the choices. Optimally, looking for the best bang for the buck. Meaning, I don't want to get the cheapest C/O system just to get in to the entry level, but then again don't want to go overboard as well. I had a set of Bilstein PSS9's on my Boxster and LOVED them, so here are the choices based off TireRack....

1.) H&R RSS ClubSport's = $1875
2.) H&R Street-Perf = $1975
3.) PSS10's = $2861
4.) KW Variant 1's = $2250
5.) KW Variant 3's = $3416

OR, do I keep the Springs and just replace the shocks at the following:
6.) Koni Sport Shocks = $191 for REAR only, is it bad to only keep the fronts OEM
7.) Bilstein HD Shock = $1144 for all four
8.) Bilstein Sport Shock = $1206 for all four

AND should I get anti-roll bar's
9.) Eibach's are $350 for front and rear (non-adjustable)
10.) H&R's are $542 for front and rear (adjustable)

Thanks for any input guys!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
What are you trying to achieve? No autocrossing track maybe? You have to set an objective first, shouldn't mod for the sake of modding.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I'd say what my main objective is for a little bit of a smoother ride and a more even drop front and back. More for street use, so would C/O's be overkill? Feel like the front of the car (while f/r are both lowered w/ the springs) sits higher than the rear. Looking to get dogbones to adjust the negative camber as well on the rear.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

B,

I have the JIC Cross CO's with 7/10 springs and am very happy.

I can dial the dampening down to 2 and it rides really soft like stock. Crank it up to 12 or so and it is track ready. Fully adjustable for ride height.

Found a set of H&R adjustable sways on ebay for like $150.00, but I think that you really only need the rear one initially.

I also just installed a set of Agency Power rear control arms. If you want a set, let me know, I can get you a killer price.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 AM
^^^Terry, sounds great buddy. Thanks for the guidance.

What do the JIC's go for?
Were those H&R sway's used or new on ebay?
Are the control arms basically the same thing as the Dog Bones? Sorry for the dumb question.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

JIC's and Control Arms are both on Vivid Racings site. Check their pricing.

I have a source for the arms for a lot less, but not the CO's.

If you were doing a lot of track days with your car, I'd say go with higher spring rates like 10/12. But for mostly street, the 7/10's ride really nice.

Adjustable control Arms = dog bones.

Sways were brand new......just happened no one else bid.

Originally Posted by boochook
^^^Terry, sounds great buddy. Thanks for the guidance.

What do the JIC's go for?
Were those H&R sway's used or new on ebay?
Are the control arms basically the same thing as the Dog Bones? Sorry for the dumb question.

Last edited by Brando; 03-03-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
I have JIC 7/10 as well with GT3 Sway Bars. Great setup for the street.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I'd say what my main objective is for a little bit of a smoother ride and a more even drop front and back.
Sounds like you're a stance freak like me and the only way you'll be happy is with CO's as that will get your ride EXACTLY how you want it. Since you're mainly street, I would be looking for the most comfortable CO's which would be Bilstein PSS series. H&R are slightly rougher than Bilsteins and not as refined of a ride.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
I love my PSS10's but if you are considering them you need to know that they are not really "height adjustable." The recommended range of adjustment for the PSS10's is only 5mm, which is more related to corner balancing than height adjustment. Anything outside of that range compromises the travel range of the shock. So while you can adjust the height more than that it is not recommended. There are other, and usually more expensive coilovers that offer true height adjustment.

Also, if you shop around you can get the PSS10's for way less than $2,861. You see them all the time for $2,400-$2,600, I got mine for $1,899 shipped, but that price is hard to find.

Here is a set for your car for $2,232 shipped from the same source I got mine from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Dharn55; 03-04-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 AM
chsu74 is on a distinguished road
Have you considered the X73 package from Porsche? I guess the question is if you want adjustable dampening. I have not adjusted my ride height since installing PSS9s.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 AM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
jic's here...perfect for adjustment height and 15 way dumper...

Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM
trisgale is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chsu74
Have you considered the X73 package from Porsche? I guess the question is if you want adjustable dampening. I have not adjusted my ride height since installing PSS9s.
I haven't adjusted my ride height since I installed them as well. I have H&R clubsports, had a reputable place align and corner balance my car (Johnson alignment Torrance, CA). When I picked up the car my first impression was that it was pretty low and my ride quality would suffer. That was not the case, ride quality felt a little stiffer then stock but nothing to complain about. Handling way better.

Like CHSU74, once you set the ride height, I don't think you will mess with it much.

Adjustability is something you may or may not touch either, since its easier to access you may adjust here and there.

I had Tokico Illumina's on my Corrado back in the day and adjusted them back and forth for the first few weeks but then the novelty faded away and were never adjusted again.

But I can see the benefit for adjustable dampers if you want/like to fine tune your suspension for track setups etc or your own personal tastes, my clubsports may be too stiff or soft for others and they would not have the option to soften or stiffen them up.

Last edited by trisgale; 03-04-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Guys, this is ALL GREAT FEEDBACK and I really appreciate the input. So, I agree with you guys, I will most likely never adjust the height at all, one time, and that's it. Unless, there's a wheel/tire package I buy and need to adjust the height moderately. Dampening would be nice, but let's be honest, I've been used to riding on the stock shocks w/ the H&R Springs so it's more of a nice to have then need to have. So would the way to go be as follows:

1.) Buy a new set of sport shocks (lower shocks) to replace the stock ones (they have about 20K miles on them with this setup)
2.) Would the GT3 sways or H&R Sways handle some more firm handling for street use? Got some extra power w/ the twin turbo kit and want to have maximum control of the car.
3.) Alignment is in order, all four corners, so regardless what I go with, I will do this.
4.) Agency Power Control Arms are something I will probably definitely do, so Terry, if you can, please PM me the place you got them so I can pick up a set.

Thanks guys, what do you all think of what I'm writing above????

Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Berk,

PM sent.

Depends on if you are happy with the rear droop in ride height.
Also, that is exactly the route I took. I installed just H&R Springs. Didn't like how it felt floaty at high speed, stock shocks were prob about cooked.

I then installed a set of Bilstein Sport Shocks. It felt a whole lot better and I would have been happy, but then I found a steal on the set of JIC's and liked the idea of infinate adjustment of height and dampening.

JMO....in retrospect, I wish I had of just done CO's in the first place and saved a lot of time and money.

I'm not sure sways are an absoulte necessity unless you are doing a lot of track days with maximum cornering.

But I thought you wanted to get rid of the C4S and get a GT3??????

Last edited by Brando; 03-04-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:53 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
1.) Buy a new set of sport shocks (lower shocks) to replace the stock ones (they have about 20K miles on them with this setup)

Thanks guys, what do you all think of what I'm writing above????
First I don't really know what you mean by "lower shocks" as most OTA shocks on the market have the spring perch in the same location as stock.

Also something to consider when replacing very worn shocks with some new ones(like Bilstein which are considered "high pressure" shocks) is that it can raise the ride height very slightly.

Based on what I read, it seemed like you wanted more even drop front to rear and I'm not convinced that just getting shocks would do that.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Let's do a Coilover Comparo.....