996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed Double Din, now alarm problems, HELP!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
Installed Double Din, now alarm problems, HELP!?

Hi all. I did a search but couldn't find anything close to my problem...or not my problem fully...

Here is the deal.

Had a double din unit custom installed from a reputable shop. Everything works great, except when I lock the doors sometimes I get a beep after the 2 flashes of the lights.

I did some searching here and that means something isn't protected...all doors are closed and the center console is closed and tight.

Heres the other issue - sometimes randomly after a few minutes my alarm is going off with nothing around to even get it going. I did another search and I read sometimes you ahve to do something to the ground wire for the alarm when installing? If not it thinks you are pulling out the stock stereo and this is what is causing the alarm to go off?

So sometimes it beeps when I lock, and then the alarm goes off randomly. Other times it locks without a beep but the alarm still goes off randomly.

Any thoughts? I want to take it back to the install shop and they will attempt to fix it but I need some help in ideas on what it could be?

I don't mind the beep when I lock, it just doesn't happen all the time and I am more concerned about the alarm going off when I am in a store or just randomly in my garage when neighbors can hear it.

Many thanks in advance!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:35 PM
trisgale is on a distinguished road
There is a wire that was attached to your original head unit and it should now be grounded. It probably isn't which is telling the alarm system that the head unit was messed with.

from another website: "alarm system has a small contact switch located to the left side of the radio compartment that detects removal of the radio. In order to prevent the alarm from repeatedly going off, you need to connect this wire (brown / blue) to ground."

Last edited by trisgale; 03-08-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, definitely the wire on the left side. Pull the radio out and you should see it dangling there.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
That would be the mysterious brown wire...