996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Window rattle when shutting doors? Fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Question Window rattle when shutting doors? Fix?

Okay, this has bugged me... when shutting the door the window makes a noticeable rattle which makes the Porsche seem like a worn out Yugo.

I had this issue on both driver and passenger doors on my 1999 996 and now with my 2001. I checked the regulators and the window seems to be firmly in place. The issue seems to be that the seals at the top of the door where the window goes in have too large a gap so when the door is closed the window bangs around. It does not seem to do much just driving, it is most noticeable when closing the door.

Has anyone found a fix to this? The weather stripping for the door is not cheap at $250+ per piece so I am hoping there is another adjustment or part that can fix this.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I beleive there are two adjustment screm located on the bottom of the door. You have to remove a plastic plug to access the screws. This tilts the window in and out.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I checked that... Tilting the window would still leave a gap at the top for it to rattle. I do not want to mess with those adjustments since the window closes fine and seals up good to the car.

Almost seems like there is some sort of spacer that is supposed to support the window at the top of the door that is either worn, out of adjustment, or plain missing. The outer weather seal on the top of the door has this 2" flap on the inside that brushes up against the window... but it is not enough pressure to keep the window in place. Not sure if that is what the problem is or not.

Has anyone else experienced this "window rattle" when closing the door with the window down?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
There are actually two adjustments possbile through the openings in the bottom of the door. One allows you to move the base of the window tracks inboard or outboard. The other allows you to raise or lower the window. You can make adjustments to the front mount or the back mount, independent of one another.

If the rattle is caused by your window not being high enough to properly engage the weather stripping when the door is closed, then you might need to raise it up a bit. I'm not sure if this will fix your issue or not, but this adjustment can be made if necessary.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Hi Dennis, I checked this and the window is about flush with the top of the door now. If I raised it then it would be sticking out of the door which does not seem right. When I was last at the dealer I tried to look at a new Porsche to see any differences, and the one thing I noticed is that the weather stripping was almost touching with no gap when the window was down.

Just curious if other older 996 models are effected like mine. I guess I might just have to buy new weather stripping at this point.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 PM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
I thought about replacing my door seals and then saw the price--$300 a piece!!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM
zeronight is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old post, but couldn't find something more recent. I have an '04 996TT Cab, with waht appears to be the same annoying passenger side window rattle, only when the window is down. When I clsoe the door it sounds like it is going to shatter from bouncing around. When driving with the window down it rattles as well. When it is up, there is no problem.

David, were you able to locate and repair the source of your problem?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM
In my case I replaced the window regulators and all was well. They were just worn out and had too much play in them. Not really a complicated job, but mark where the adjustments bolts are on the old one at the bottom of the door so you can remount the new ones the same way.

David

Old 08-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Thank you.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:49 PM
mirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud of
I had the same issue with the rattle. Turned out it was the adjustment screw. Open the door and under it remove the forward grommet. Try to tighten the screw in there.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:13 PM
How did you gauge how much to turn the screw? Trial and error? Sounds simple enough, but do not want to mis-align the window other ways.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:15 PM
mirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud ofmirek has much to be proud of
I believe in tighten it to the right all the way which kept it aligned stick. You may need some trial and error tho. It took me forever to figure out that rattle tho it was ridiculously annoying

Old 08-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Thank you. I will give it a try. It is tremendously annoying and embarrassing.