996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Durametric Knock Off

Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dailydriver
I second that and would insist that this is taken one step farther...I need a link to a video of you plugging the unit into the car, pulling a code then removing it and starting the car to prove it has not fried the computer. If not then it never happened.
Easy test would be to unplug the passenger seat harness from underneath the seat and start the car. This would trigger the warning light and can only be turned off at a dealer or durametric tool.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:41 PM
DubSport is on a distinguished road
mas430, I am interested in buying this cable as well. I am not afraid to bite the bullet and try it out, but hey if you made a video that is great! Could you please either email it to me or post it here?

As far as someone calling you a troll they probably meant it as a joke and they are just caring about the general integrity content of this forum (maybe a little too much hehe).

Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
both of you name calling and being insulting toward one another will get this thread closed...if that is your wish just keep it up...these discussions can be conducted in a civil manner and that is the expectation here on 6 speedonline

Old 04-14-2011, 03:08 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DubSport
but hey if you made a video that is great! Could you please either email it to me or post it here?
X2, that would be a great service to the community.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
I have one of the first Durametrics, only cost $179 with no limit on the number of cars it can do. I bought it 5-6+ years ago. However the cable will not allow the use of the newer 6.x series of software. Durametric will sell me the new cable, and the professional version, no limit on the number of cars as my current cable does not have this limit, for $150. I have to return the original cable before they send out the new one.

Does this knock-of of cable work with the 6.x version of the software, or only the 5.x and before?

I am assuming the cable requirement is something like the hardlock on the PET program where the dealers have a USB dongle that plugs into the back of the computer. This type of "protection" is common to some expensive software (I have a disk recovery software that came with a dongle). With PET there is a software patch that by-passes the need for the dongle. I wonder if this is possible with the Durametric software?

However, I think we all should acknowledge that Durametric has invested the time and money to provide us with a system that gives us most of the functionality of the OEM systems, at a tiny fraction of the cost. They also provide good support and continual upgrades, which were free until the 6.x revisions required an updated cable.

Last edited by Dharn55; 04-15-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
mas430 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DubSport
mas430, I am interested in buying this cable as well. I am not afraid to bite the bullet and try it out, but hey if you made a video that is great! Could you please either email it to me or post it here?

As far as someone calling you a troll they probably meant it as a joke and they are just caring about the general integrity content of this forum (maybe a little too much hehe).
OK , Glad you found it useful, by the way great car you have there.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Dharma just had a look & it says its version 7.0.15.

have no idea what this means ,all I can tell you I bought this about 2.5yrs back ,so far it has found alarm faults = micro switch on door, front right abs sender = changed sensor turned out to be the wiring to the ABS ECU.
It cannot clear Alarm faults or anything to do with the instrument cluster but can detect the faults , everything else ABS, Airbags , Tiptronic etc & live values it will show as I am sure Dubsport will verify.

Not sure if they still sell them but I paid 61 pounds delivered to my door.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by mas430
It cannot clear Alarm faults or anything to do with the instrument cluster
I think this could potentially be a deal breaker for most.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:08 PM
mjp111569 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by allz28
This is what I received in PM:

"I have a chinese knock off cable, works like the real cable, not limited to 3 usewrs, when the durametric starts up, it detects it as a conterfeit cable, but still works. turned off my air bag light, so worth the 30.00"

So this person says it worked on the air bag light.
+1 - same experience

Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
So now things seem to be more confusing as someone stated they can't clear alarm faults or anything to do with the instrument cluster yet someone was able to?

Can both parties that have this unit list their software versions?

Interesting that both parties that have this unit has responded to this as their first post...

Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 PM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
While this doesnt exactly answer your question, my buddy has an Audi and the first thing he read on the Audi forum website was to buy a $20 VAG cable from Ebay. not only can he log with it, he can change codes (coding). I know of a few people who bought Chinese elm compatible obd readers and had great luck with them. There are 2 great websites for chinese made stuff
1) made-in-china.com
2)alibaba.com

I have purchased things from both sites and my only recommendation is to buy from a gold supplier who offers escrow. It makes resolving a problem much easier.

good luck

Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Thklinge can only hope to improve
I've got a cheap OBDII-to-USB cable in my car. It's permanently connected to my carputer and shows live data from the car at the touch of the finger. I paid next to nothing for it and it has performed perfectly so far. It's probably not compatible with the Durametric software, but at least it didn't fry my ECU

The screen is modded into the centre console:

Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Thklinge that looks great, You'll be OK as you have more than 1 post so the internet gods will let you off,as for the rest of us I guess we're just trolls ,liars & leeches etc lol

All joking aside though, that is impressive , the reason I sent my readout video to people's personal email's was because I did not want to get the forum site into possible copyright issue's if it was posted on here .
But if you did want to see it just PM me your email & I will send it too you , it was around £61 to the door from China which is better than the Royal mail here !

Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Thklinge can only hope to improve
Feel free to send me a PM with a linky to where you got it.

But how about compatability? If it only supports version 5.x, what features are you missing out on? I need to get another key, the nearest Porsche dealer is far away, and none of the local indys could code keys, not even the local VW/Audi dealer.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Any OBDII can do basic logging and turn off certain error codes.

I think this post is useless as the original intent was to see if there were any suitable aftermarket solution that could turn off Porsche specific codes that up til now, could only be done by the Dealer or the Durametric system.

So far, no one has stepped up to the plate and provided any concrete proof of such a device, outside of hearsay.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Durametric Knock Off