996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

IMS Bearing...MUST be replaced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:54 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
When I pulled mine the bearing looked to be good shape. My clutch was shot though (70000). All good now.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
anyone have any idea how this thing actually works? i'm a skeptic..

Old 06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
DaveFL1976 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by split
anyone have any idea how this thing actually works? i'm a skeptic..
"Utilizing technology developed by Jake Raby of Flat 6 Innovations this system alerts the driver of any M96 engined Porsche of engine failures and issues that are imminent. "

Does the light just stay on all the time then?
http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Mus...%20Rimshot.wav

Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 PM
scantu is on a distinguished road
Im crious how this works too but would rather not waste his time and call. I have already had mine replaced and just want to know because im skeptical too.

Maybe it captures all timing related codes and turns on when a combination of them are triggered??? HHMMMMMM

Old 07-05-2011, 07:00 PM
xXxPorsche is on a distinguished road
Mine Just Went right after I bought the car...

I haven't even had time to take pics of the car to post up here but the dealer is going half with me on replacing the engine with one that has the IMS upgrade installed...

Do it. Very worth it. Especially because it will fail at the worst possible time like 3 blocks from work, the second time you drive the car to work, in front of all of your coworkers who have been giving you **** for buying the car, when you are late for a class. At least it wasn't raining which is strange for Washington.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:10 PM
fast996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xXxPorsche
Mine Just Went right after I bought the car...

I haven't even had time to take pics of the car to post up here but the dealer is going half with me on replacing the engine with one that has the IMS upgrade installed...

Do it. Very worth it. Especially because it will fail at the worst possible time like 3 blocks from work, the second time you drive the car to work, in front of all of your coworkers who have been giving you **** for buying the car, when you are late for a class. At least it wasn't raining which is strange for Washington.
Oh thats brutal, sorry for your first post w\ an IMS failure. Get pics when shes back up and running!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 AM
mjb2448 will become famous soon enough
To xXx Porsche, So it was a '99 but could you supply model and mileage ?

Last edited by mjb2448; 07-06-2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: wrong poster
Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by mjb2448
To xXx Porsche, So it was a '99 but could you supply model and mileage ?
Yea it is just a base model c2 no options besides sport seats, I liked this because I thought there wouldn't be much to go wrong. (lol) anyway it only had 58k on the clock

Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
I wanted to find out too when I should do a replacement of IMS/RMS upgrade and retrofit. I only have 60k on the clock now and mine is a 01 tiptronic. Is there any difference on symptoms manuals vs. tips? Do I need the single row or double row bearing?
Who has tiptronic here who has done RMS/IMS?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:39 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
when i bought my 996 i called the dealership that serviced it last and they said that they've never had a tiptronic have an IMS bearing failure..however, i know PasPar2 on th is board has a tiptronic and his did fail. Maybe the chances are just lower?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:42 PM
j beede is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fozzybear
I think the general thinking is along those lines - IMS bearing is a wearable part, replace it as part of general maintenance whenever the clutch is due.
This is reasonable thinking... as long as your m96 has the IMSB with 13mm center nut. If your engine was replaced by Porsche (not uncommon) it is likely the reman version with 22mm IMSB center nut--and your engine is not a candidate for the low cost LN Eng retrofit. Many used MkI buyers view a reman engine as a bonus. Might want to check with LN Eng about that.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM
^ for us tiptronic users, unless the transmission is being rebuilt, there isnt a circumstance where the IMS is easily replacable when coupled with other work.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Airrik
I wanted to find out too when I should do a replacement of IMS/RMS upgrade and retrofit. I only have 60k on the clock now and mine is a 01 tiptronic. Is there any difference on symptoms manuals vs. tips? Do I need the single row or double row bearing?
Who has tiptronic here who has done RMS/IMS?
Generally speaking there are no obvious symptoms other than severe bearing noise right before the engine stops and you coast to the side of the road. Some people claim to be able to hear a failing IMSB with a stethoscope. Some people claim that the color of the leaking oil is different for RMS versus IMSB.

The LN Eng retrofit is not a "fix". It replaces the stock sealed bearing with a high grade ceramic "open" bearing. The retrofit does not address the fundmental issue which is inadequate oil supply to the IMSB. This is likely why Porsche used a sealed bearing. Given the choice between an "open" bearing with inadequate oil supply and a sealed (permanently lubed) bearing, which would you choose? If the bearing could be easily inspected/replaced, I would choose the sealed bearing. I asked for wear data versus hours/miles for the LN Eng bearing and was basically told that I was out of line for asking. Maybe so... It seems that many 996 owners are upgrading IMS and buying the "Guardian" with no science, no data, not even understanding what it is or does.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by split
^ for us tiptronic users, unless the transmission is being rebuilt, there isnt a circumstance where the IMS is easily replacable when coupled with other work.
If you already have a diagnosis of a leaking RMS I think the incremental cost to do IMS retrofit would be $600-900, i.e. the cost of the kit from LN Eng and the IMSB puller.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Since it is required for new members to post pics I will post the only one I took before the IMS went.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing...MUST be replaced?