996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

IMS Bearing...MUST be replaced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Wink

Originally Posted by logray
Porsche does not have a "new" seal for the bearing. They do have a new seal for the IMS flange, however that only prevents oil leaks on the outside of the case, not bearing failure. What Porsche DOES have is a larger bearing to install, with similar load capacity to the original dual row bearing (1999-2001), but it is still sealed on both ends... the seal may be one of the reasons why they fail, among other things... if you don't replace your IMS bearing with an LN engineering retrofit, a recommendation is to actually remove the seal from the outer race of the stock bearing.

Read more on the subject here:

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Courtesy of the above website, here is a picture of the revised larger bearing that is Porsche's current unspoken "answer" to the IMS bearing problem (note that the outer race is sealed, but these too can still fail):

Any car can implode for any reason, but primarily owner neglect. The biggest thing to help longevity for any car is to keep the oil level proper and clean. There is always a reason for failure.
"""if you don't replace your IMS bearing with an LN engineering retrofit, a recommendation is to actually remove the seal from the outer race of the stock bearing. "' So there is a solution for this problem that can be used to eliminate that problem once and for all. There you go, that's what Porsche could and should implement and endorse !

Old 11-26-2011, 08:14 PM
logray will become famous soon enoughlogray will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by hroussard
...So there is a solution for this problem that can be used to eliminate that problem once and for all. There you go, that's what Porsche could and should implement and endorse !
Unfortunately not a solution, but it might help the longevity of the engine. The cards are still on the table with this one. The experts advise it is a service wear item (similar to clutch, brakes, belt, chain, etc.) that should be replaced at a regular interval. That, along with keeping the oil level within spec and regular oil changes of the correct viscosity are the best ways to address the problem. These serviceable items exist with any engine.

Another great read on the subject of the IMS bearing in addition to the link I posted above:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ft_Bearing.htm

I agree, Porsche should own up to this, more than just slapping in a bigger stronger bearing on their replacement engines.

Last edited by logray; 11-26-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:23 PM
jacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the rough
I just replaced my clutch and flywheel. Elected not to do the LN IMS. I was there when they dropped the trans. IMS tight. Ok with me.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
Does this bearing connects to a shaft or something?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:05 AM
The bearing is pressed into one end of the intermediate shaft tube.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 AM
i ask that because i had clutch replacement 2 months ago. I was adviced to replace also another part which i dont remember right know, but i remember that the mechanic told me that Porsche Dealer sells this only together with the attached shaft (he called it secondary shaft) for 1500$. However he found another store and ordered direct from there for 150$

Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 AM
$150 is probably just for the shaft flange and flange seal. As stated previously, while installing a fresh flange seal will hopefully prevent case leaks (assuming it is installed properly with a bead of curl-t, which is a different story), it does not address the problem of the bearing itself.

Correct, the bearing is not available from Porsche. You would have to buy the IMS (secondary) shaft with the bearing already pressed in. However, that is sorta pointless because the controversy behind the bearing inside that shaft is that the one Porsche provides is a.) not strong enough, and b.) sealed (there are a few other issues as well...) Porsche does offer a newer larger bearing that is as strong as the original dual row bearing (but is still not as strong as LN engineering's ceramic bearing), however Porsche's revised bearing (included with the shaft) can only be installed when the engine is completely torn down. In fact, regardless if you wanted to replace the shaft the engine must be torn completely apart as well.

I would be a little leery of a mechanic who would tell you this information about the cost of a shaft but not mention that the engine would need to be completely torn down in order to install it. That might say something about their experience level with this engine.

Currently, LN engineering is the only known good source for an aftermarket bearing, which costs $600.

Pelican Parts will "supposedly" soon offer a replacement bearing as well, but I don't see it for sale yet.

Last edited by logray; 11-28-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM
actually i got the car in the garage because it had a small oil leak (no drips) and needed new crankshaft gasket , about 30$ plus installation. On the opening i was suggested to replace clutch (was working good except it was hard) plus the item i described aboive (i will check at the invoice tomorrow to see what it is). All in all 1800$.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Bobuk is on a distinguished road
Hi all first post,

What should be remembered is that ANY 996 engine from August 2005 (model year 2006), until in the Boxsters case the introduction of the gen2 car in mid 2009 will have the larger IMS bearing which cannot be replaced other than by a costly complete engine strip down, why on earth would Porsche do this, there was obviousely NO thought regarding their customers.

If you find metal in the oil filter in those model years is it the IMS bearing or something else, what to do, rock or a hard place.

I have just sold my prestine late Sept 2005 BoxsterS with the large bearing, I will replace this with a Gen2 car only, I could not take the chance as I am retired with limited funds but love Porsche. All these bearings will go at some point and there is NO cheap fix on these model years.

Bob.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 PM
gdj
gdj is on a distinguished road
I just drank the kool aid and had the IMS bearing replaced on my 03, 996 C2 while having a new clutch installed at 65,000 miles. As I suspected given the small percentage of all Porsche having an IMS bearing problem, no trace of metal in the oil and number of miles on car my bearing is in great shape and will become a $1,200 paper weight. I know many see installing the LN bearing as an insurance policy against a $20,000 engine failure but with an IMS bearing failure rate of only 10% and no indication of an impending problem from two types of oil tests I can only say to others you should proceed cautiously on the matter of replacing the bearing. The odds are in your favor of never having a problem plus I haven't been able to find any data on how good the LN bearing is in regard to its failure rate. I know this is an old subject which far too much has been written most of which has been gloom and doom I want to say trust your instincts. Do I feel better and more secure knowing I had the LN bearing installed not particularly but I do have a nice paper weight.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:01 AM
DaveFL1976 will become famous soon enough
"Insurance" is probably a good way to think of it.
90% of the time you won't need it, but if you were in that 10%... you can rest easier.

Source: I was in the 10%; wrote a check to my Porsche dealership for $15,600 for a new motor.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
It's the right thing to do as $1200 is just a gnat's **** in the Porsche world. You also forgot the most important element of that repair. YOUR CAR NOW HAS A REALLY HIGH VALUE because you no longer have that ' Dark cloud " hanging over your engine bay!! You will be able to sell your car in a day should that day come..

BTW . I had a 996 1999 with 78K miles on the clock which I sold about 5 years ago. Nothing wrong with the car but.. that dark cloud cost me substantial money in the resale value. Remember ALL the Porsche geeks know about it and will walk the other way. Why tempting faith he??

Last edited by hroussard; 07-02-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by woody6
I had my 2000 model 996 in for an RMS seal at 44k miles. I asked about the bearing and my mechanic said it was probably fine. Here's my recollection/reasoning. The factory bearing is apparently sealed and does not get lubrication from engine oil. Failure is rare, but potentially catastrophic. Indeed my bearing was okay, but I chose to have it replaced as a precautionary measure, and my mechanic sent video at each step of the way. You have to decide if the cost is worthwhile peace of mind. Good luck, below are the videos from my clutch/rms/ims job.

--Woody

Update #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvRrEWmfiY

Update #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftXlsMcrag

Update #3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnGvH8tP_54
Woody, you've got a great Indy here. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:24 PM
gdj
gdj is on a distinguished road
Like you my bearing was fine and I had it replaced, in large measure, because of all of the scare talk on various forums and Jake Raby. I would have greater peace of mind if there was quantifiable data on the LN bearing in relation to its failure rate but there isn't. Having the bearing replaced will most likely help should I ever decide to sell which is doubtful. Its done and I have a great paper weight to remind me of how I got scared into my decision based on lots of internet chatter.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Harley42 is an unknown quantity at this point
LN IMs solution ,tiptronic, note oil feed line at bottom

Note oil tube at bottom for LN Solutions being installed
Yay
I just bought a 2003 991-996 w/52,576 miles back in Dec. 2018. I’ve been reading a lot about the IMS bearing. And from what I’ve learned, it’s in Zims Autotecnic in Bedford ,Tex., and having the LN solution put in, along w/ RMS oil separator,serpentine belt. I’ll do the water pump a bit more down the road. Also new plugs. I’m expecting a 5 k bill. I get to go by and see the progress, very interesting, and they’re very accommodating. I did just see the original bearing, and it looked ok, seals intact, but mech. did say there was a lot of oil in the shaft tube. I didn’t think there was supposed to be much oil in there, the bearing spun smoothly, but w/ the amount of oil in there, maybe it was starting to leak? Think I’ll sleep better anyway. I’ll get it registered w/ LN to be on the safe side, and in case someday I sell it.

Last edited by Harley42; 05-01-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Spelling,and add to the content add pic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing...MUST be replaced?