Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 996
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.
Sponsored by Spec Clutch

Upgrade the suspension 996 C2 to a GT3 suspension

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM
pfpadm's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
pfpadm is on a distinguished road
Upgrade the suspension 996 C2 to a GT3 suspension

I intend to make a upgrade at my M030 stock suspension at the 996 C2 2000, for the GT3 suspension.



I bought the :

-sway bars,
-struts,
-shocks/springs form the 996GT3,
and make a modification at the front droplinks, , cut them and re-weld them with small tube.

I think the rear droplinks, can fix in the GT3 shocks but it looks it canīt, there is 2 problems:

- Dimension of the droplinks, they are differents;
- And Rear links are different angles.

Anyone have already this problem.

What we have to do? Buying the Gt3 droplinks, (can fix? )or Tarett rear adjustable droplinks?

or have to cut and re-weld them with more longer tube, and change the angle, because the GT3 droplinks fix with the same angles, and the C2 are different angles.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Purplxd's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 963
Rep Power: 55
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
It makes me scared to hear cut and weld suspension parts....

Anyways, to do it right, you'll probably have to do what I did to put Turbo brakes on.

Which was change the full front wheel carriers and the upper strut mounts to the Turbo/GT3 style as the angles are different. Then everything should be bolt on.

You can check my blog for more info...

Cheers
Aaron
__________________
2001 Porsche 996 C2 6-Speed
Supercharged, Sport Seats, CF, 996TT Brakes, H&R Coilovers, GT2 sways, AP sway links/rear control arms, GT3 rear toe links, Custom Body, 997 Style Decantes LEDs, 997 Mirrors, 19" Ruger Mesh wheels.

My Blog and my projects SuperCharger Installation and Body Upgrades
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 6
Diablo360 is on a distinguished road
Ok, I just did this mod and did the install myself, so I can help you out with all the details.

Fortunately for you, the parts are 100% interchangeable. Just to make sure, are the coilover assemblies 100% complete? Meaning you have the shock mounts and collars? If so then you're good to go.

As for the drop links, since you are using the GT3 sway bar, I would HIGHLY recommend that you just upgrade to the Tarett front and rear drop links. You can buy the OEM GT3 drop links for cheap, but they are so flimsy it's a joke. As for cutting up your old drop links and re welding them, PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS. Since you spent a lot of money on all of the other parts, there is no point in going cheap for the last 10%. Get the Tarett drop links!!!!!

Also here is another thread from Rennlist.com that you can check out. There is more info in here about the GT3 suspension install on a C2. And feel free to pm me if you get stuck or have any other questions.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-21-2011, 05:26 PM
GREERJ1's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norwood, Ma
Posts: 152
Rep Power: 14
GREERJ1 is on a distinguished road
OK, now you have one serious suspension, way better than stock. Be careful if you track the car at high speed through turns. The extra G-forces will keep the engine oil on one side of the engine and oil starvation could result. I see it with the M030 suspension and street tires. There are options out there for the M96 engine oiling system upgrades.
Good luck.
James Greer
__________________
01 996 C2 Coupe, B&M SSK, RoW M030 Suspension, Sport Exhaust, 18" Wheels

87 924S All stock
PCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Duane996tt's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, San Francisco
Age: 59
Posts: 1,857
Rep Power: 103
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
My rear stock drop link bind when I dropped the car with PSS10. I used Tarret but they make a bit of noise (nothing horrible) Just for fun i welded the stock links but they quickly broke.
__________________
Current: 03 996TTX50 Coupe Black, 09 AMG C63 Met Steel, 06 X3 Silver.
Prior: (In loving memory of my bank account) 95 993 3.8 RS Black, 85 911 Red, 83 911 Cab White, 80 911 Met Black, 78 911 Cashmere, 05 AMG C55 Silver, 99 AMG C43 Black, 97 M3 Silver, 95 325i Black, 85 318i Black.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-2011, 05:17 PM
pfpadm's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
pfpadm is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Thanks for your helps.

Trying to answer all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplxd View Post
It makes me scared to hear cut and weld suspension parts....

Anyways, to do it right, you'll probably have to do what I did to put Turbo brakes on.

Which was change the full front wheel carriers and the upper strut mounts to the Turbo/GT3 style as the angles are different. Then everything should be bolt on.

You can check my blog for more info...

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron, I think itīs not necessary to make more changes, only the droplinks front and raea, to install the new suspension and only because the shocks form origla Carrera ou M030 have diferents points of connection, from the GT3 connections.
I habve a friend that have the 996TT brakes to sell, I like to make this upograde too, but it seems was very difficult and expensive.

What we needed to makes this upgrade?

Have ypu the porsches codes of the stuff needed?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 PM
pfpadm's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
pfpadm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo360 View Post
Ok, I just did this mod and did the install myself, so I can help you out with all the details.

Fortunately for you, the parts are 100% interchangeable. Just to make sure, are the coilover assemblies 100% complete? Meaning you have the shock mounts and collars? If so then you're good to go.

As for the drop links, since you are using the GT3 sway bar, I would HIGHLY recommend that you just upgrade to the Tarett front and rear drop links. You can buy the OEM GT3 drop links for cheap, but they are so flimsy it's a joke. As for cutting up your old drop links and re welding them, PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS. Since you spent a lot of money on all of the other parts, there is no point in going cheap for the last 10%. Get the Tarett drop links!!!!!

Also here is another thread from Rennlist.com that you can check out. There is more info in here about the GT3 suspension install on a C2. And feel free to pm me if you get stuck or have any other questions.

Good Luck
Thanks

Yes I have all the stuff of the suspension, shocks, struts, springs, tops, collars, sways.

Yes I decided to buy the Tarett rear droplinks for now and later buy the front droplink, for now I use the modified droplink front.

So please if you can help me I aprecciate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-23-2011, 05:26 PM
pfpadm's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
pfpadm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREERJ1 View Post
OK, now you have one serious suspension, way better than stock. Be careful if you track the car at high speed through turns. The extra G-forces will keep the engine oil on one side of the engine and oil starvation could result. I see it with the M030 suspension and street tires. There are options out there for the M96 engine oiling system upgrades.
Good luck.
James Greer
Yes I understand, so I bought the X51 oil sump to minimaze this oil problem in track. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
pfpadm's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
pfpadm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane996tt View Post
My rear stock drop link bind when I dropped the car with PSS10. I used Tarret but they make a bit of noise (nothing horrible) Just for fun i welded the stock links but they quickly broke.
The Porsche droplink stock it seems so fragile, compared to Tarett, is very thin.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Purplxd's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 963
Rep Power: 55
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpadm View Post
Thanks for your helps.

Trying to answer all.



Aaron, I think itīs not necessary to make more changes, only the droplinks front and raea, to install the new suspension and only because the shocks form origla Carrera ou M030 have diferents points of connection, from the GT3 connections.
I habve a friend that have the 996TT brakes to sell, I like to make this upograde too, but it seems was very difficult and expensive.

What we needed to makes this upgrade?

Have ypu the porsches codes of the stuff needed?

All the information is in my blog.

Cheers
Aaron
__________________
2001 Porsche 996 C2 6-Speed
Supercharged, Sport Seats, CF, 996TT Brakes, H&R Coilovers, GT2 sways, AP sway links/rear control arms, GT3 rear toe links, Custom Body, 997 Style Decantes LEDs, 997 Mirrors, 19" Ruger Mesh wheels.

My Blog and my projects SuperCharger Installation and Body Upgrades
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
alpine003's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,577
Rep Power: 88
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
As an alternative, you only need end links if you are using the extreme ends of the sway bar hole settings. Also you can reuse your stock non-gt3 end links if you are using the factory pinch bolt mounting location on the front.

The rears, you can use your stock non-gt3 end links without issues(once again if you're not using the closest or farthest mounting holes.

For optimimum setup though, you'll want to get adjustable end links if you drop it any considerable amount so that you can readjust your sway preload to compensate for the additional drop.
__________________
MK1 Blk/Blk, 6spd, OEM MK1 GT3 Aero, Custom 18" BBS RS-GT, 15/7mm Spacers, 19" Champion RG-5 Wheels(alternate), GT3 Coilovers, GT3 Sways, Adjustable End Links, PMS Toe Links, 997 modified Camber Plates, PolyUrethane Engine Mounts, US GT3 Seats, Xenon, 997 SSK, Euro Aspherical Mirror, Fabspeed header, Tubi Exhaust, Tequipment Tips, Schnell CAI, BMI Filter, IPD Plenum, Eclipse HU, Boston Acoustics Speakers

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Francisco's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 10
Francisco is on a distinguished road
I just found a set of Springs/shocks from 04 GT3 for sale so planning on getting them. I have RoW M030 suspension now so question is can I use drop links with the RoW Sways? Do I need to change mounts? He is only selling springs/shocks. What else will I need for my C2 996? TIA
__________________
1999 C2 996

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:43 AM
pfpadm's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
pfpadm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
I just found a set of Springs/shocks from 04 GT3 for sale so planning on getting them. I have RoW M030 suspension now so question is can I use drop links with the RoW Sways? Do I need to change mounts? He is only selling springs/shocks. What else will I need for my C2 996? TIA
You need the top mounts, the front and rear droplinks, because the connections points of this shocks to the GT4 sways bar are differents from the RoW M030.

If you use the shocks/srings of the M030 and the GT3 swyas bar, donīt need the droplinks.

I recently bought the GT3 04 sways bars, springs/shocks, tops, and have to by the droplinks, I bought from Tarret adjustable droplinks, in USA for the GT3 connections.


The droplinks are now in the portuguese customs, and I espect receive them next week.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:43 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2007, 996, ap, c2, coilovers, collars, drop, gt3, hr, link, links, noise, porsche, rear, stock, suspension


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Secure Backup