996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Looking to get into 996. What should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
CayenneExpress is on a distinguished road
Looking to get into 996. What should I look out for?

I have a 2008 Cayenne S loaded with air suspension, PDCC, you name it. I've had it for almost a year and I officially have Porsche fever. I want to add a P car to the collection.

I want to get into a 996 Cabriolet as a weekend car so I can take the kids for a spin "without a roof" as they would say. Looking to spend between $20-25k and about 50k miles. Seems like there are options out there at that price point.

Any recommendtaions as to waht I need to look out for or a pre-owned checklist?

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 PM
I read about the IMS and RMS issues, anything other than that?
At what milaeag do owners typically swap the engine? I saw posts about engine swaps, don't want to get into all that.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
YOU SHOULD START BY USING THE "SEARCH" FEATURE! you will find more info than anyone can give you in just one thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tarek307
YOU SHOULD START BY USING THE "SEARCH" FEATURE! you will find more info than anyone can give you in just one thread
THANK YOU FOR THE BOLD TYPE!!!!! I did search. How do you think I found out about the IMS and RMS issues????

Old 05-25-2011, 01:40 PM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by BostonCarrera4S
Thanks Boston. Nice C4S you have there!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
No problem. Had mine for 6 years now and haven't run into any major problems as of yet. Should have some updated pics on the way once I get my new set of wheels in about a month. Good luck with your search.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Voodoo08 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BostonCarrera4S
No problem. Had mine for 6 years now and haven't run into any major problems as of yet. Should have some updated pics on the way once I get my new set of wheels in about a month. Good luck with your search.
Cant wait for that picture thread.

As for what to look for, IMS RMS seems to be a big button people like to press.

Others are clutches seem to need changing nearly often comparitively. Other than that I would have it looked over for the normal car inspection points.

Has it been hit, repainted, what is the previous history on the vehicle as far as what has been serviced replaced or changed. A car with a good but long history can be a no-no for auto gremlins(they do exist).

Other than that find the color you want with the drivetrain you want and enjoy the hell out of it.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Peterpokerplane is on a distinguished road
I would definitely get a Pre-purchase inspection done. I skipped that on mine and found a couple surprises on my Carfax "accident-free" C2, even though I was pretty diligent in my personal inspection. lol. I got too emotionally involved in the car, and should have used a detached opinion, it probably would have helped in the negotiation process too.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks guys. I'll defenitley go the PPI route. Appreciate all the other tips.

I'll keep the board posted as I narrow down the candidates.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:04 PM
RugRunner is on a distinguished road
Good luck, enjoy the seach. Don't be afraid to travel if you find "the one." Mine was 1,000 miles away! And I drove it home.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
All and all 996's are very reliable cars.

In my experience the most common things to check for on a 996 is cracked ignition coils, loose coolant hoze connectors and the clutch.

The whole IMS/RMS thing is a bit overstated I think... at least I don't know anyone who has had real problems with it, but **** does happen

Good luck!

Sid.

Ps. there's a few aggressive individuals here looking for confrontation and will hit ya with negative rep points if you disagree with them... don't get intimidated (which clearly you're not ) ask as many questions as ya want, lots of great people willing to share, that's what 6speeds for.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
another minor issues that you might want to look into is the notorious coolant tank leak due to old ages(yellow tank) should be white & that pesky ignition switch going bad...these two are easy to replace & DIY if you're a hands on guy..G/L with your search..& yea. RMS/IMS are over rated to the maxxxxx...just have it PPI like everyone said & you should be find.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Voodoo08
Cant wait for that picture thread.
I started one to anticipate their arrival but it didn't go anywhere because of the lack of pics.