996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

White smoke coming out of tailpipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:34 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
White smoke coming out of tailpipe

my car just blew up some white smoke out of the tailpipe...could this be a worst sign to come..I did a search that it could be: crack head gasket. coolant /oil mixture, etc, etc..I was driving really aggressive Fri. Could that be the problem that I might broke something..when I restart the car another funnel of white smoke start coming out & stop...my question is..can I still drive it at least 5 to 6 miles to the shop?

Old 05-21-2011, 06:37 PM
crazyed71 is on a distinguished road
did you check oil stick, coolant for intermix? how long did it smoke? color of smoke?

Old 05-21-2011, 06:39 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
also when it smokes see if you can smell it..if its coolant it has a sweet smell to it.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:06 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crazyed71
did you check oil stick, coolant for intermix? how long did it smoke? color of smoke?
the dipstick has no sign of coolant & the smoke was white smoke as stated..it smoked at least 10-15sec I guess while driving & then stop.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Voodoo08 is on a distinguished road
are you positive its white?? My dads had this exact same problem, looked white but if the smoke doesnt evaporate in a few seconds yo can bet its probably oil. (in your case this would be a good thing) The cause for his, the car has a basically a plastic oil catch can at the back left hand side of the motor. His filled up with oil over time (77k miles or so), what it caused it to do is drain oil into the cylinders when shutdown. So every start up he had about 15-20 seconds of smoke. New reservoir, hoses, etc.... ran good as new with no smoke.

Hope this is your issue because your alternatives start looking real bad.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 PM
yes, its really white ,white..I even got out & looked at it when I restart the car...when I rev the car, still wht smoke come out....I don't see any black smoke at all

Last edited by MkC2S; 05-21-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
happened to me twice after i got an oil change, its usually just extra oil burning off or something,

Old 05-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by tonka858
also when it smokes see if you can smell it..if its coolant it has a sweet smell to it.
it doesn't smell sweet at all

Originally Posted by Tarek307
happened to me twice after i got an oil change, its usually just extra oil burning off or something,
i haven't change my oil lately, so it couldn't be that..the "check engine" light flickered when I drove it home

Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Is the smoke coming out of one tailpipe or both?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Voodoo08 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MkC2
yes, its really white ,white..I even got out & looked at it when I restart the car...when I rev the car, still wht smoke come out....I don't see any black smoke at all
It wouldnt be black, oil smoke is mostly white looking but has a slight blue tint to it(sometimes hard to notice). The reason I say this is when I first got it on my dads car I had just washed it and thought I had some water just flashing out the tail pipes. But looking at it during the day it was oil.

Ill try and take a picture of the part im talking about in the morning and post it for you. You should be able to inspect the area for oil. Also pull of your intake and see if you have any oil in that away this will also tell you that part needs to be changed.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by wyovino
Is the smoke coming out of one tailpipe or both?
both pipes

Originally Posted by Voodoo08

Ill try and take a picture of the part im talking about in the morning and post it for you. You should be able to inspect the area for oil. Also pull of your intake and see if you have any oil in that away this will also tell you that part needs to be changed.
thanks, I'll check on that 2morrow as well

Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
If both pipes, that tends to eliminate a cracked head.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:18 AM
mikes_996 is on a distinguished road
My guess is the AOS especially if there is no mixture of oil and coolant..

Old 05-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Could be a normal thing if you were taking some hard corners just before you shut it off. Flat 6 with oil slung out in the cyls.

Mine did it up in the mountains. Blew out a big cloud of white smoke when I started it back up.

It was kinda embarrasing, but my car is perfectly healthy.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
i'm with brando!! its normal don't stress! the first time it happened to me was at autocross were there was a fast switch back and both runs it did it, sure as hell freaked me out but a bunch of other 911 owners came over and said its normal.... since after some track time or spirited drives it will do it, like he said oil seeps by the rings and gets burnt off....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: White smoke coming out of tailpipe