Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 996
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.
Sponsored by Spec Clutch

Double Din Install

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:37 AM
r9g's Avatar
r9g r9g is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 6
r9g is on a distinguished road
Double Din Install

Loi from Euromotorspeed installed his double din kit in my C2 last month; mine is a Pioneer 930bt. Sounds and looks much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior 5.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	154308   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior 10.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	154309  

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-12-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: title
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
xXxPorsche is on a distinguished road
Looks awesome, When I finally get my car back this is one of the first things I want to do. Was the install hard? Meaning could you do it with just handtools and a dremel? The only thing I am worried about is relocating the climate controls.

Also I wanted to install a Viper alarm/unlock at the same time but I was going to have a real installer do that. So should I just have them do it all at once and save myself the trouble?

Anyway awesome job i'm jealous.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 47
Rep Power: 5
cmer is on a distinguished road
I just installed a single DIN Alpine in my C2, this makes me regret not getting a Double DIN!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM
r9g's Avatar
r9g r9g is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 6
r9g is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxPorsche View Post
Looks awesome, When I finally get my car back this is one of the first things I want to do. Was the install hard? Meaning could you do it with just handtools and a dremel? The only thing I am worried about is relocating the climate controls.

Also I wanted to install a Viper alarm/unlock at the same time but I was going to have a real installer do that. So should I just have them do it all at once and save myself the trouble?

Anyway awesome job i'm jealous.
Wish I could take credit for the install, but Euromotorspeed handled it. I was on hand for the install and can tell you that it wasn't incredibly difficult. The climate control takes a bit of time, but isn't too tough, either. Loi at Euromotorspeed is very hands on with any kit he sells and is available by phone/email for any questions you may have.

Regarding the alarm install, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, might be best to find a qualified installer. You can ask around here on 6speedonline for reputable installers in your area.

I wish you well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
r9g's Avatar
r9g r9g is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 6
r9g is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmer View Post
I just installed a single DIN Alpine in my C2, this makes me regret not getting a Double DIN!
Hey, Christmas is only five months away!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 7
Peterpokerplane is on a distinguished road
Click the image to open in full size.

The double-din install is relatively easy! I completed mine in about three hours, and that was considering that was the first time I had the dashboard apart. The dremel portion is a little scary, but it turns out that you actually don't have to be that exact.

Oh BTW, DON'T forget if you have a 99-01 that you must tape off the tab/wire that connects to the back frame of the radio!!! It kept setting off my alarm, and freaked me out that I had permanently messed something up.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Slider's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,237
Rep Power: 127
Slider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond repute
Using the Euromotorspeed kit, there was no Dremel action required for my conversion. It is all pretty easy and Loi is great if you are in doubt about anything.
__________________
2001 911 TT - SpeedTech 70mm, Softronic Tune, BBI Coils, GT2 slave mod, CF Everywhere.
2007 Honda ST 1300
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 7
Peterpokerplane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Using the Euromotorspeed kit, there was no Dremel action required for my conversion. It is all pretty easy and Loi is great if you are in doubt about anything.
I bought the Euromotorspeed kit also, which sells for $169.00, and unless your car originally came with the factory nav, you have to use a Dremel or similar tool to cut the factory plastic "cross-bar" that goes between the factory single din radio and the A/C controls. Once cut, then his double-din cage will fit into the opening. Again, it wasn't hard, but I'm pretty sure you have to do it all the non-nav cars?!?

The results turned out great, and I also bought two sets of brake decals from him.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Slider's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,237
Rep Power: 127
Slider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond repute
Ah, well that explains it. I had factory Nav - So, no Dremel action if you already have a double din unit.
__________________
2001 911 TT - SpeedTech 70mm, Softronic Tune, BBI Coils, GT2 slave mod, CF Everywhere.
2007 Honda ST 1300
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 5
SoCal_02_911Cab is on a distinguished road
Just yesterday I had a JVC KW-NT3HDT unit installed by AudioLab in Orange County. I went with this unit as it included HD radio with free traffic alerts, sports, scores, etc. I'm still figuring it out but I like it so far. As for the install, they had a great price and it looks good. However, I do have about a 1/4 inch gap above the top of the faceplate and the bottom of the swing out cup holder. They did do a custom black strip and I'm fine with it (and they moved the A/C controls, etc.) but I noticed in the other two photos on this thread that there appears to be a custom faceplate that fits perfect, with the Porsche logo at the bottom. Is there a part number where I can pick that up or is that because you guys already had factory Nav? I have an 02 Cab and it didn't have factory Nav or the bose system. I can live with what I have but if I can make it look perfect.....
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4583.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	154554  
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-2011, 02:04 PM
r9g's Avatar
r9g r9g is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 6
r9g is on a distinguished road
Faceplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_02_911Cab View Post
Just yesterday I had a JVC KW-NT3HDT unit installed by AudioLab in Orange County. I went with this unit as it included HD radio with free traffic alerts, sports, scores, etc. I'm still figuring it out but I like it so far. As for the install, they had a great price and it looks good. However, I do have about a 1/4 inch gap above the top of the faceplate and the bottom of the swing out cup holder. They did do a custom black strip and I'm fine with it (and they moved the A/C controls, etc.) but I noticed in the other two photos on this thread that there appears to be a custom faceplate that fits perfect, with the Porsche logo at the bottom. Is there a part number where I can pick that up or is that because you guys already had factory Nav? I have an 02 Cab and it didn't have factory Nav or the bose system. I can live with what I have but if I can make it look perfect.....
Thanks!
The faceplate is part of the double din kit from Euromotorspeed. I don't believe they sell it separately from the kit - but you can look into it on their eBay store site: http://stores.ebay.com/Euro-Motorspeed

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 5
SoCal_02_911Cab is on a distinguished road
Thanks r9g. In hindsight I should have bought this kit (looks really clean), although at this point it's probably not worth it for me to drop another $160. Nice install you've go there for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 7
Peterpokerplane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_02_911Cab View Post
Thanks r9g. In hindsight I should have bought this kit (looks really clean), although at this point it's probably not worth it for me to drop another $160. Nice install you've go there for sure.
Hopefully if you contact him, he may be able to just sell you the black faceplate trim, since you already have everything else. It comes with the Porsche decal on it. It's a pressure fitting, which means it's precision cut to fit exactly right without any fasteners. It looks very factory, including a finer surface texture than the traditional plastic kits, which match our cars much better. I'm assuming it would fit your setup, because most of the double-din cages seem pretty universal, so his faceplate should be able to fit your car.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 7
Peterpokerplane is on a distinguished road
Hey, just saw on a different thread that someone was able to buy just the faceplate (although they didn't give a price), so give him a call or email him.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 5
SoCal_02_911Cab is on a distinguished road
Cool. Thanks Peter. I'll check that option out as I'd like to get that custom look without buying the entire kit.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:32 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
01, 1999, 911, 996, carrera, dash, din, double, euromotorspeed, euromotorspeeds, install, installation, kit, porsche, radio


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Secure Backup