996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Key fob stopped working (I replaced the key battery)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
sempaipaul will become famous soon enough
This same crap happened to me the other day...

Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Beaglehusky is a jewel in the roughBeaglehusky is a jewel in the roughBeaglehusky is a jewel in the rough
this happened to me

With both of my keys. Just out of pure luck I unlocked the door by inserting the key and then pushed the lock/unlock button and my key started working again.

Before this, my key's light would just blink red rapidly.

I hope this works for you too. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 AM
sempaipaul will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by citybythebay
When you press the lock button, should the fob be left in the ignition or should it be removed.
I have the same question...

Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slider
You can remove it or not, I don't think it matters.
... Still the same answer...

Old 08-18-2011, 03:24 PM
mj31 will become famous soon enoughmj31 will become famous soon enough
So far I have tried all the remedies to no avail. My last attempt was to check the fuse as stated earlier. The fuse is fine. The weird thing is now my horn honks twice a few seconds after I close the door since I removed the fuse?. The key still blinks fast for what ever it's worth. Any last ideas would be appreciated before I start spending some cash?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
The horn honking means that something in the security system is not secured when you lock the door. It can be any of quite a number of things...

From the manual:
01 Alarm system: checking operation of indicators
1. Lock vehicle with the remote control. Shortly after locking, the alarm system horn should not issue a warning tone. If a warning tone is issued, check all doors, as well as the convertible top, cover for the glove compartment, and the cover for the centre console. Open and close these items again in turn.
2. As soon as the vehicle is locked, the LED in the middle of the dashboard should show a double flashing signal, and after 10 seconds have passed, a single flashing signal.
3. If a flashing signal is not shown, or if the double flashing signal continues, connect the System Tester and read out the fault memory. ’ 0, 96 Alarm system diagnosis manual

Now, if this is happening when you close the door and without locking - the manual doesn't say anything about that. It may be in a different manual.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:14 AM
mj31 will become famous soon enoughmj31 will become famous soon enough
The horn honking means that something in the security system is not secured when you lock the door. It can be any of quite a number of things...

From the manual:
01 Alarm system: checking operation of indicators
1. Lock vehicle with the remote control. Shortly after locking, the alarm system horn should not issue a warning tone. If a warning tone is issued, check all doors, as well as the convertible top, cover for the glove compartment, and the cover for the centre console. Open and close these items again in turn.
2. As soon as the vehicle is locked, the LED in the middle of the dashboard should show a double flashing signal, and after 10 seconds have passed, a single flashing signal.
3. If a flashing signal is not shown, or if the double flashing signal continues, connect the System Tester and read out the fault memory. ’ 0, 96 Alarm system diagnosis manual

Now, if this is happening when you close the door and without locking - the manual doesn't say anything about that. It may be in a different manual.
Thanks Slider. I just noticed that my dome lights, windows and sunroof were not working either. I took the fuse out again and put it back in. Now everything is working again except my sunroof? The alarm is now blinking the right way now but the key still doesn't work. I'm not so concerned about the key but more importantly my sunroof no longer working?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
There are two different fuses that does similiar things and easy to overlook. Make sure you've checked both locations.

As for aftermarket stereo, make sure the factory ground wire was hooked back up to the cage

Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 AM
H8T WP will become famous soon enough
changed my battery and my fob stopped working tried everything but still not workin !

Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 AM
01blackm3 is on a distinguished road
Same thing happened to me as well, I am going to try the suggestions on here once I get home.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:45 AM
badges2 is on a distinguished road
After replacing my battery, my remote would not work either. I was able to start the car with the key however. I fixed the problem by simply removing the battery in the remote and installing it upside down (the words on the battery now down) for 10 seconds. After the 10 seconds, I removed the battery, installed it correctly (words visible when in place) and put the key back together. My remote was now working perfectly! Hopefully other people have the same simple resolution with this fix!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 PM
SoCal GT3 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by badges2
After replacing my battery, my remote would not work either. I was able to start the car with the key however. I fixed the problem by simply removing the battery in the remote and installing it upside down (the words on the battery now down) for 10 seconds. After the 10 seconds, I removed the battery, installed it correctly (words visible when in place) and put the key back together. My remote was now working perfectly! Hopefully other people have the same simple resolution with this fix!
Thank you for the tip...tried it but still did not work for me

Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone have spare dead guts of their key they would be willing to sell? Going to swap parts to see if can resurrect remote.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM
You would need the security code to go along with any fob someone was to give you - otherwise you can't assign the code to your car with PWIS. Not many people keep the code once the key is working.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:13 PM
love2drive is on a distinguished road
2012 GTS Key Fob Stopped Working, Fixed :)

Many thanks to you Slider and everyone else that chimed in.

My keyfob stopped working yesterday. I had to use the key hole on door to get in and start the engine quickly to avoid the horn from beeping in alarm mode. This morning, I bought a new battery. The key fob lights work but it would not unlock the door still.

I followed your recommendation Slider and it didn't work at first. As you said, I started the car with the key, engine ran for a few seconds. Shut off car and removed key and pressed the unlock button within six seconds. That did not work to my dismay. So I tried again and again with variations.

I'm not sure which variation got it to work but I believe this might be it. While the key was in ignition and car running, I pressed and held the unlock button for about 7 seconds. Then shut the car off and took out the key and pressed the unlock button several times and was delighted to hear the doors lock/unlock and the red key symbol in center dash (next to PCM) lit up every time. Sure enough...it had worked. With a sigh of relief and sense of gratitude, I thought I share this with everyone. I hope you all get the thing to work.

By the way, does anyone know how to make the car beep when pressing the key fob unlock button. I know..there are other threads that say it can't be done unless you leave the center armrest storage lid or the glove compartment door opened. Then it will beep to indicate to you that something is still ajar. I've verified that this does work, but I'm less than 100% satisfied with the technique. I'd prefer it to properly beep ..like every other car in the world. (Then again..thank goodness this is by no means like any other car..so I'm not complaining. )

Thanks!

There are two ways the key can be affected... If the unlock button is activated 256 time while out of range of the car, it will de-activate itself. To re-activate, all you have to do is use that key to start the car and activate the transmitter (unlock) within 6 seconds of stopping the engine. Now, here's the thing... If the unlock is activated 1000 times while out of range of the car (like say, sitting on the keyfob in your pocket for 5 minutes), even an act of god will not re-activate the key and you will need to replace the radio transmitter.

There are two parts to the key - the "pill" or ignition transponder and the radio transmitter used to unlock the car. They are not linked - one can be replaced without replacing the other.

Go ahead - ask me how I know all this stuff...

Last edited by love2drive; 02-07-2016 at 03:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key fob stopped working (I replaced the key battery)