996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anybody Elses 996 Motor Blow up this Week?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 AM
crummer is on a distinguished road
Time to start making phone calls. The more information you can gather before choosing a mechanic will pay dividends. The $bill$ starts when the first wrench goes on and it becomes an expensive time to learn.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:19 PM
MBA99 can only hope to improve
2002 911 Targa 52k miles -- engine blew!!!

I really can't believe this!!!
I bought the car with 42k; did the IMS retrofit, new clutch, new RMS, before even driving it..
at 52k did my tune-up! Car looks and drove like new..
Never drove over 4k RPM... drove from LA to OC last month.. exited freeway, stopped at light, 5 seconds later the engine made a horrible sound!!!!
Now i am told IMS failure!! but i did the IMS retrofit..

Any suggestions on what to do?

Old 12-17-2014, 03:18 PM
ic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really nice
Originally Posted by MBA99
I bought the car with 42k; did the IMS retrofit, new clutch, new RMS, before even driving it..
The LN Engineering retrofit?
How many miles since the retrofit?

Old 12-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Never drove over 4k RPM... drove from LA to OC last month.. exited freeway, stopped at light, 5 seconds later the engine made a horrible sound!!!!

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that!

I see you are local -- give us a call at the shop, 626 765 9111 - ask for our service director, Cleo - maybe we can assist you with this.

- Jason

Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
at 52k did my tune-up!

Did you do the LN retrofit? If so, do you have the authenticity sticker somewhere on your car? Did you ever get back the old IMS? Did the place prequalify your motor prior to retrofit?

There's often a false sense of security floating around the net just because you have IMS retrofit, your motor will not fail.

One(shop or mechanic) should also clarify if the IMS was the primary mode of failure or secondary from collateral damage. Unfortunately not all have the skills to know what to look for or how to properly diagnose it.

Have you ever tracked it before?

Old 12-17-2014, 11:13 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Never drove over 4k RPM...
Sorry for your loss, but for god sake why didn't you break 4k? All the fun of these cars comes after that.

Even outside of the power, just listening to that engine sing in 3rd around 6k is the best medicine for an otherwise miserable commute...

Old 12-18-2014, 06:36 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gnat
Sorry for your loss, but for god sake why didn't you break 4k? All the fun of these cars comes after that.

Even outside of the power, just listening to that engine sing in 3rd around 6k is the best medicine for an otherwise miserable commute...
Agreed!

OP I'm sorry to hear. Heartbreaking. Please keep us posted and hope this gets sorted out.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry for your loss, but for god sake why didn't you break 4k?
All the fun of these cars comes after that.
+996 plus the variocams would've never been activated. I have heard solenoid wearing out but would be interesting to hear one seizing due to non use.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:49 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future

The more I think about this, it just doesn't add up.

How long did it take you to put that 10k on it since you bought it/replaced the IMSB? Unless we are talking multiple years of very short trips that never allowed the engine to get up to operating temp and you only changed the oil yearly (or worse), I just don't see how the IMSB could be the primary point of failure even if it was an OEM sealed bearing. Babying these motors is not the way to keep them healthy, but it would take some serious neglect/abuse to kill off a bearing that quickly.

My bets are in order of likelihood:
1) There was another failure that took out the IMSB and your tech doesn't know how (or care enough to try) to diagnose it.

2) You didn't have a good tech that replaced your IMSB and signs of other problems were missed/over looked (refer back to #1).

3) You got ripped off and the IMSB was never actually replaced.

4) Given that you have one post and it is about the #1 hot button issue for 996s, you're a troll.

5) Your new IMSB had a material flaw and you are supremely unlucky.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:16 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
When I bought my car I had the IMSB (used the LNE one) and RMS changed to the heavy duty one, all done by the dealer. I've put 10k on it with no problems. Key for IMSB is regular oil changes and DRIVING the car, garage queens have more problems. And you need to shift between 4500 and 6000.

The more I think about this, it just doesn't add up.

How long did it take you to put that 10k on it since you bought it/replaced the IMSB? Unless we are talking multiple years of very short trips that never allowed the engine to get up to operating temp and you only changed the oil yearly (or worse), I just don't see how the IMSB could be the primary point of failure even if it was an OEM sealed bearing. Babying these motors is not the way to keep them healthy, but it would take some serious neglect/abuse to kill off a bearing that quickly.

My bets are in order of likelihood:
1) There was another failure that took out the IMSB and your tech doesn't know how (or care enough to try) to diagnose it.

2) You didn't have a good tech that replaced your IMSB and signs of other problems were missed/over looked (refer back to #1).

3) You got ripped off and the IMSB was never actually replaced.

4) Given that you have one post and it is about the #1 hot button issue for 996s, you're a troll.

5) Your new IMSB had a material flaw and you are supremely unlucky.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Interested to hear the rest of the story

Old 12-18-2014, 07:55 PM
996_North is on a distinguished road
4) Given that you have one post and it is about the #1 hot button issue for 996s, you're a troll. .
Hmmm, my vote.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 12-19-2014, 12:18 PM
ic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really nice
Oh Wow! I didn't notice that!

Old 12-19-2014, 01:56 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Benefit of the doubt... Perhaps he's a long time lurker but didn't feel the need to register til he's into major trouble.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by porschemama
Benefit of the doubt... Perhaps he's a long time lurker but didn't feel the need to register til he's into major trouble.
That's why I rated it as my 4th most likely scenario, but that they haven't bothered to respond at all since that post and it is still their only post isn't looking good in my opinion...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody Elses 996 Motor Blow up this Week?