996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What muffler sounds best??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Prschekid will become famous soon enough
Question What muffler sounds best??

I'm looking to put an aftermarket set of mufflers on my Porsche... What is the best? I have an awe tuning cats... I have heard that no muffler sounds good, I don't know if I agree. Plus that decreases front end power? True? Let me know what you guys think!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 AM
logray will become famous soon enoughlogray will become famous soon enough
I love the sound of my Maxflo Fabspeeds, but sadly I am going to have to sell them soon since I'm trying to raise money for 3.6L Nickies. They are also lighter than stock (and look better too).

They sound marvelous at higher RPMs, once you get to about 4krpm they really start to cook.

I certainly feel a little more in the butt dyno above 4k rpm, with perhaps a slight trade off at lower rpms. Still though, tough to quantify that as I've never actually had it on the rollers pre/post Fabspeeds.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Sound is going to be very subjective but most like the PSE style mod as it offers a very good balance and bang for the buck.

However I've been slowly drawn into the Kreissieg exhausts(just can't afford one) which are tuned to sound more like a F1 car. I know some Porsche purists would prefer the classic boxer motor but this is very unique sound coming from a flat 6. The Lambo one on that motor sounds tons better but we're talking about 996's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3twCyRm0T0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-xWwiPOxoM

Old 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Mamut79 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by logray
I love the sound of my Maxflo Fabspeeds, but sadly I am going to have to sell them soon since I'm trying to raise money for 3.6L Nickies. They are also lighter than stock (and look better too).

They sound marvelous at higher RPMs, once you get to about 4krpm they really start to cook.

I certainly feel a little more in the butt dyno above 4k rpm, with perhaps a slight trade off at lower rpms. Still though, tough to quantify that as I've never actually had it on the rollers pre/post Fabspeeds.

Dibs on the mufflers :P PM Me if anything

Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
scantu is on a distinguished road
Spend $400 bcks and call it a day.. No reason to spend thousands or even $900. I actually got 9hp on the Dyno... no BS! much lighter and sound great!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-exhaust.html

Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Tubi...

Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Prschekid will become famous soon enough
I love the tubi exhaust... It's just so expensive, I do hear a lot about maxflo fabspeed, and the price is decent. Kreissieg sounds stellar but a little pricey as well! And lastly, I have heard some great muffler bypass exhaust, I feel like I'm leaning away from that, my brother drives a beefed up dodge... I don't want that sound. Does anyone know about what the labor time is on muffler replacement?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:12 AM
Altaran will become famous soon enough
I had Eisenmann Mufflers. The quality of sound was awesome. Fairly decent when cruising, but loud when pushing it. People have come up to me and said they loved the sound (Quote: "That sounds almost aircooled").
Though they are hard to find. Eisenmann doesn't have the 996 Mufflers on their website anymore, so I do not know if you can get them new these days. Haven't heard a better sounding muffler yet. Just could be a little louder for my taste, put sport cats on along with em and it will sound perfect.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:54 AM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
I opted for the AWE mufflers for my '02 996 Cab, and recommend them. Their sound is of the deeper/throatier variety, no resonance, and fit and finish was great. I did the install myself (super simple, they were straight bolt-in with no adjustments needed); a shop should charge no more than a couple of hours, tops, for install.

While I did consider Fabspeeds, three things swung me to the AWEs: 1) not a single report of resonanace, 2) not a single report of fit-up problems, and 3) input (via email) from some AWE owners. I would have added 4) heard them in person myself, but that wasn't an option--and internet sound clips can be deceiving. In any case, there's a ton of info on 6Speed and other Porsche forums about the pros and cons of various manufacturers' offerings, read them and draw your own conclusions.

Lastly--+1 to Altaran's comment about sport cats. They seem to add a sharpness and "crackle" to the exhaust note that I really like. They will be the next exhaust upgrade I make. Now the dilemma...FVD, Fabspeed, AWE, ???

Good luck

Old 10-07-2011, 05:14 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
i asked for PSE hack and told me 500$!!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
I love Kreissieg and Mille Miglia but man if I am going to spend that kind of money on an exhaust I better have a new 911 or GT2 because I don't see the point on a 10yr. Porsche.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Tubi...

Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Eisenmann used to be worth it as they are an OE supplier to companies like BMW. But there's been some quality issues lately and they farm out some of their manufacturing to Korea. Given the price range there are many better options out there.

Tubi sounds good as usual but somehow I don't want to have one if Corvette owners do too.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
i tend to find the quieter the muffler the better it sounds, however one can barely even hear the factory system. its hard to find that balance of what sounds good, and what sounds loud.

i have personally used the muffler bypass pipes and will say that aside from idle or WOT above 4000rpm, they sound terrible. they literally just sound like a broken muffler.

Right now i'm using the PSE style mod to my factory mufflers, and although its very quiet, its the best sounding option i've heard so far.

Next time around i'll probably just keep my factory mufflers and get high flow cats to enhance the sound.

If you want loud without getting the terrible raspy tones, i'd probably suggest the fabspeed valvetronic system. That way you can be loud, or extremely loud at the touch of button.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 AM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
Strange no one mentioned the Fister. Simple to install. Can mods, reasonable at <$300

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What muffler sounds best??