996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Led headlights !!!!! Video and pix installed!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
f0ster is on a distinguished road
very nice, thanks

Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by geetee
I've been running HID in low and fogs without any problems. Since about 2 weeks ago passenger low does not come on. I've switched bulbs/new ballasts etc tried everything. Pass HID does not work. If I go back to halogens, both sides work without a problem. Now, HID lows driver side no problem. HID low passenger side keeps blowing the 15amp fuse.
I have the red wire from ballast plugged into headlight and black wire, I have grounded to the post that is holding the headlight housing. How do you have your low's grounded?(black wire from ballast)
Got worried about this because I have my HID's simply wire tapped to the original receptacle inside the assembly - no grounding wires or anything complicated. Will my DIY HID install need to be grounded to something? Will my simple wiring eventually need some groundings?

My C2 is a 99 Model. I hope this means My electrical system is not yet fully dependent on the onboard computer right?

Name:  20130109_215849.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  121.9 KB
Name:  20130109_212449.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  87.2 KB

Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I got mine sorted out. For the low beam, the connector to the H1 bulb has black plastic wrapping around the 2 wires yellow and brown. You have to cut the brown wire and use as ground. Plug the red wire from ballast in to the low beam connector like you would do to a halogen bulb. Connect the black wire from ballast to brown wire. I bought a female connector so the brown wire would lock with the ballast black wire.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
fullmetaljack..those ballasts are huge...go get a slim one. Not that it really matters...

Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
haha i said the same thing. Those are huge.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geetee
fullmetaljack..those ballasts are huge...go get a slim one. Not that it really matters...
Actually it does matter. I know one of the main distributors for the NA market and there's been more failures on the slim lines vs full size in the past. It has gotten better since but still trail the full size in reliability. I would attribute a lot to the tolerance, confined space generating more heat, and the quality of components coming out of China with very loose or non existent QC where it matters more in something like the slim lines.

With that said, a lot of good resellers offer lifetime warranty on some of the slim ballasts so it would really then boil down to your labor, time, and inconvenience if one were to fail.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Dish911 is on a distinguished road
Look amazing, nice!!! Really modernizes the car.... nice job

Old 08-27-2013, 11:11 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
Okay, lets see some more. Didn't even know this existed until today. This will be a nice refresh for my 2000/13 year old car. Where can I buy these?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
some more pictures. i think this is a great look. the vendors should start building more?

Attached Images     
Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by medcap
some more pictures. i think this is a great look. the vendors should start building more?
Looks great man! Did you add HID's?

Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
where can i get these? Are these plug and play without error codes?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Alabamatoy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jateshk
where can i get these? Are these plug and play without error codes?
What error code? On my 2000 996, you can remove a bulb and the computer seems not to know it.

I got my HIDs from DDM Tuning. This is my 5th set from them. I have installed them now in all my vehicles. Have had one ballast go bad, but DDM will replace them forever for free. Its all plug-and-play except for drilling a hole in the access panel on the back of the headlight housing and attaching the ballast. I have had mine in the Porsche now for about 6 or 8 months with no issues. This includes several multi-hour night trips.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Just wanted to share an experience with these type of headlights for those who have the same kind.

I attempted to replace the 55w foglight bulbs with an 85w all weather and just to make sure - I turned them on for a few minutes. Surprisingly and unfortunately the plastic lens on my driver's side headlight warped a little bit. Luckily I was able to notice this immediately, turned the foglights off and replaced them back with a 55w. Strange becasue the 6k HID bulbs do not seem to affect the lenses in spite of it being more bright? Or, maybe the HID's are cooler? Not sure!

Did anyone have this experience? Are we stuck with 55w foglight bulbs on this type of headlight assembly? Should I just change the foglight bulbs to 3k yellow HID's. What do you guys think?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
HID lights run considerably cooler than incandescent bulbs. Melting and warping of lenses is a common problem when high wattage incandescent bulbs are used.

I think yellow HIDs would be great as fog lights. In a fog light application, color temperature is more important than brightness.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
HID lights run considerably cooler than incandescent bulbs. Melting and warping of lenses is a common problem when high wattage incandescent bulbs are used.

I think yellow HIDs would be great as fog lights. In a fog light application, color temperature is more important than brightness.
I was reading some threads about foglights on the forum and found out that there are 35w HID's. Maybe this will do the trick. Will try them out this weekend. Thanks Dennis!

Any guys who installed 3000K yellow 35w HID's? Please share your experience e.g. if this has warped or affected our LED aftermarket headlight lenses.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Led headlights !!!!! Video and pix installed!!!!