996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Adding LED DRL's to 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyovino
1. You have to remember to turn them on.
2. That's a great way to burn a yellow spot into your interior lens.
3. You won't get an insurance discount.
Lemme just make your life harder than it is and play devil's advocate.

1. you can just leave your headlights on all the time and it should just go on and off with the ignition, right?

2. If you have xenon lights, there shouldn't be any issues with any yellow spots showing up.

3. Not all insurance gives discounts.

But hey no one should need any justification to slap on LED's. Do what makes you happy. In the end they save energy and then you can say you're part of the green movement if anything.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
You've already expressed your opinion (many times) that you don't like them. That's fine, you don't have to get them. What purpose does it serve to continue denigrating them to people who like them?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
You've already expressed your opinion (many times) that you don't like them. That's fine, you don't have to get them. What purpose does it serve to continue denigrating them to people who like them?
Where did I say directly that I didn't like them? I was pointing out that LED's have become a FAD for some people lately. I still have LED based Angel Eyes on the wife's BMW as a matter of fact.

If you like them then get it and look cool, but to many, it is merely looking cool or different and has nothing or little to do with actual DRL safety item in their minds.

Same thing for me to try to justify one of my watches which I'll admit is more of a man's jewelery then anything else. I'm not gonna say this Swiss ETA movement is really accurate and that's why I paid $XXXX dollars for it. I know there are $10 Timex quartz watches that can keep just as accurate time if not better but I don't disguise it. I just have the watch because it's cool and makes a statement. It has nothing to do with the accuracy of timekeeping.

Anyways, I'm not knocking ya(even though you might've perceived it that way). Let's just all get along in the P-car club.

Edit: Gave you rep points for putting up with me.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Well, I agree with you on the watches thing.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Well, I agree with you on the watches thing.
See we can agree to disagree to agree on some things!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
friscotx is on a distinguished road
I agree, it's a personal thing! I'm ordering the iJDMTOY version since it looks to be the easiest to hook up. Also only having the 5 lights, looks like it will fit in space better. If it looks junky..... oh well....I'll take 'em off! I'm pretty new to 6speed and am enjoying reading the conversations!!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 AM
FedEx left a note on my door that they tried to deliver the package, so Alpine003 will be happy to know that my 996 will be DRL-less for another weekend.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 AM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Originally Posted by sirschwag
I really think you'll be happy with the Philips 8., I'll try and back the car out and take pics tonight. In the meantime, check out the info (and most recent review) on amazon, not many left!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DX6BKW?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1
fyi, Philips makes a 4, 5 and 8 led version of their led DRL kit.
I imagine that they are higher quality than the ijdmtoy version, but don't know for sure.
Amazon carries the 4 and 8 led version, but not the 5.
Here are the dimensions.

8s are dimensions: 165x18x35mm
5s are dimensions: 180x20x50mm
4s are dimensions: 125x24x31mm

Last edited by balefire; 03-25-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 AM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Ijdmtoy has the Philips 5.
I found this one on ijdmtoy
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Philips-Day...ddl_sku_7c.htm
which looks like a copy of the Philips 12810WLEDX1
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...2810wledx1+led
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...ion-drl-4.html

from my width measurements above, it looks like the Philips 5 is curiously wider than the 8...
so now i'm debating if I should get the Philips 4 and squeeze it into the first slot of my turbo bumper or if I should get the Philips 8 and squeeze it into the 3rd slot as others have done. any idea which would look more OEM?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
sirschwag will become famous soon enough
The Philips 8 IMO are the brightest and perhaps best quality. They incorporate the latest generation of high-power Philips Luxeon® Rebel LEDs which are used by Mercedes and other OEM. The Philips 4 does not use the "Rebel" technology. The Philips 5 use their previous/older technology which I'm assuming a lot of other companies have copied.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Also, starting in 2011 in Europe all new cars are required to have DRL's...My theory is we drive German cars so why not add these, a lot of other mods we do are towards the European ways anyway (clear side markers, etc), but it all is personal preference.
http://www.newscenter.philips.com/ma...ght4_and_8.wpd

Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by sirschwag
Also, starting in 2011 in Europe all new cars are required to have DRL's...My theory is we drive German cars so why not add these, a lot of other mods we do are towards the European ways anyway (clear side markers, etc), but it all is personal preference.
http://www.newscenter.philips.com/ma...ght4_and_8.wpd

Just please don't add European rear fog lights and leave them on all the time. Nothing more annoying than seeing Jag and Land Rover owners with the DOUBLE rear fogs driving with them all the time in the on position in the states.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 AM
double post. oops.

Last edited by alpine003; 03-26-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM
After receiving the lights today from iJDMToys and realizing that they're not made by Philips, I went back to the website. It says "Philips-style", which I missed. The Philips lights have two wires according to the YouTube video I watched. You just hook them up to the positive and negative terminals of the battery and the built-in module does the rest.

The set I got from iJDMToy has 6 wires and very vague instructions. Also, because of the curves in the stock bumper, I can't find any place to mount the lights. Has anyone installed these on a stock MKI bumper?

How directional is the light? If I mount them flush to the front of the bumper, the lights will be pointing about 20 degrees outward.

Last edited by wyovino; 03-26-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Just please don't add European rear fog lights and leave them on all the time. Nothing more annoying than seeing Jag and Land Rover owners with the DOUBLE rear fogs driving with them all the time in the on position in the states.
Those are annoying., but more importantly - no driving on the "wrong" side of the road!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adding LED DRL's to 996