996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Adding LED DRL's to 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Originally Posted by sirschwag
Looks good man! Do you have regular white (clear) w5 bulbs in your side markers? The dimming function is easily tapped into the parking lights, just make the connection inside the luggage compartment using the supplied self-tapper (the harness is found at the top left side under the liner)...
Thanks for the tip.
I have LED side marker bulbs from ebay.
The original clear incandescent side marker bulbs looked very anemic. I preferred the amber incandescent bulbs over those, but the LEDs win for sure.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
How does it look from straight on? The LEDs are mounted at an outward angle so naturally the photo angle you shot at would look the brightest. You have any daytime shots from straight on?

It does seem to integrate well on Turbo bumpers.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 AM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Originally Posted by alpine003
How does it look from straight on? The LEDs are mounted at an outward angle so naturally the photo angle you shot at would look the brightest. You have any daytime shots from straight on?

It does seem to integrate well on Turbo bumpers.
I posted several more pics of my LEDs in this thread.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by balefire
I posted several more pics of my LEDs in this thread.
Thanks and nice job. Integrates very seamlessly with the turbo bumper.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:42 PM
matthewbounds is a jewel in the roughmatthewbounds is a jewel in the roughmatthewbounds is a jewel in the rough
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM
millemiglia is on a distinguished road
Hi,
And sorry about bringing such an old thread back to life again..
I am about to install the same drls and can't figure out how and where to connect the orange wire to the make the lights dim when the headlights turn on..
Can you please help me out?
Is there a wire I can tap into from inside the trunk?
If so which?
Best Regards, Peter Bouveng

Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by millemiglia
Hi,
And sorry about bringing such an old thread back to life again..
I am about to install the same drls and can't figure out how and where to connect the orange wire to the make the lights dim when the headlights turn on..
Can you please help me out?
Is there a wire I can tap into from inside the trunk?
If so which?
Hook it to the driver's side marker light and you should be good to go.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM
millemiglia is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
Hook it to the driver's side marker light and you should be good to go.
Thanks for the response!
I am afraid I need more guidance than that as I'm not very skilled when it comes to wiring...
Can you be more specific about which wire I should hook up to?

Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Idoktr is on a distinguished road
I just purchased these Phillips lights. According to the directions, you need to tap into the parking lights. Does anyone know which color wire is the parking lights??

Thanks

Old 09-26-2014, 10:36 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Bump to this thread, in case I decide to purchase a 996tt.

After seeing some of the DRLS installed on the 996tt, IMHO it makes it look more aggressive, "completes" the front end look, and actually looks a little nicer than the 997s due to the 996 style headlights.

Has anyone tried the below GT2 997 style bumper and DRL?

http://www.nrauto.com/productsdetails.php?tb=R1QyIDk5NyBTdHlsZSBCdW1wZXI gZm9yIDk5NlQvQzRTLzk5NiAoMjAwMi0yMDA0KQ==&pid=ODU= &cat=MjQ=&scat=Nw==&catn=UG9yc2NoZQ==&sc=Qm9keSBLa XRz&p=MA==

Old 10-03-2014, 11:53 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I finally came up with a solution that works for me (MK I stock bumper). I bought a pair of LED DRL lights from Custom Dynamics http://www.customdynamics.com/daytime_running_lamps.htm

I got the 12 LED 6.97 inch Truflex clear tube version for $22 each
I bought some 3/4 inch angle aluminum and cut it the same size as the tubes (maybe slightly larger). The lights have 3m tape on the back which I used to adhere them to the aluminum. I painted the exposed aluminum black. I used 3M tape to mount the assemblies inside the bumper. I already had a source of switched power in the frunk which I tapped into.

I'm really happy with the results and get a lot of compliments. The photo doesn't do it justice brightness-wise. They are very bright.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FoamyDRL.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	403829  
Old 10-03-2014, 12:07 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wyovino
I finally came up with a solution that works for me (MK I stock bumper). I bought a pair of LED DRL lights from Custom Dynamics http://www.customdynamics.com/daytime_running_lamps.htm

I got the 12 LED 6.97 inch Truflex clear tube version for $22 each
I bought some 3/4 inch angle aluminum and cut it the same size as the tubes (maybe slightly larger). The lights have 3m tape on the back which I used to adhere them to the aluminum. I painted the exposed aluminum black. I used 3M tape to mount the assemblies inside the bumper. I already had a source of switched power in the frunk which I tapped into.

I'm really happy with the results and get a lot of compliments. The photo doesn't do it justice brightness-wise. They are very bright.
That looks very good. Do you have any other angles of the front you can share?

How long did it take you to the mod? Where in the frunk did you tap in to get to the power source?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:30 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I'll take some angled photos. The lights are recessed so you really don't see them from the side. I removed the bumper to do this which is a 15 minute job if you've done it before and 30-45 minutes if you haven't. There is a great video on YouTube that shows it step-by-step. My car has a laser diffuser installed and I tapped into that. You can run the wires through the firewall and tap into the switched output of the telephone module in the front center console.