996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Upgrading to 2012 rear emblems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 PM
SoCal_02_911Cab is on a distinguished road
Here are some pics after having the new 991 version of the 911 installed on my 996 Cab. One is inside a parking garage with less light and the other is overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Laguna Beach.

Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Gonzo911 will become famous soon enough
Not a fan. I like clean and simple. The rear ends on our cars are impressive enough!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think that looks good, especially since you just went with "911".

Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I like it. Btw - are those led tails smoked or clear?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes, smoked Leds. At the time I bought the LED's I wasn't aware of the Dectane's that have since been posted on this sight, which I would have considered (and I am looking forward to seeing any experiences on the board and/or pics). I also bought the Leds before considering the new 911 emblem, and in hindsight, since the 911 emblem has has a chrome look, I may have considered the clear, non-smoked LEDS. But, what's done is done and overall I'm very happy. In extreme bright light and if you look very closely, you can see some of the residue from the old Carrera emblem, but I'm probably the only one that would ever notice. I also must say that I drove the 911 about 150 miles over the weekend and damn, I love driving this car! I think the emblem may have given me a couple HP. Tee Hee.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
The emblem definitely adds horsepower, and the LEDs increase torque.

It's funny how different your color looks in the sun versus the shade. My Rainforest Green Metallic is equally as schizophrenic depending on the lighting conditions.

I like the LEDs you have and the ones sold by Dectane and really can't decide between them. I'm also debating whether to get clear or smoked.

Good luck with your new-found performance.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Yes, the difference in color was one of the first things I noticed after posting the pics. One is dark blue and the other is bright blue, totally different depending on the light. Good luck with your decision, and be sure to post some pics. If you go with the Dectane's, please share if you have to deal with relays or resistors like many (including myself) have had to deal with. Down the road I may consider those depending upon how they look and user feedback, but for now I'm all set. Now it's on to the GT3 RS 4.0 graphic for the side of my car. In addttional to looking cool, I've heard it adds the equivalent of a nitros boost if you scratch and sniff it before driving...

Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM
MerlinsGhost is on a distinguished road
I don't see a difference either way. Its not a high point of visual on the car and its not like people don't know what it is. Its like seeing a mustang with a 'mustang' windshield decal on it. Like I don't know what kind of car it is to begin with. Ohhhh its a mustang, I couldn't tell. Just saying....

Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 AM
I agree it's not a huge deal, but I do prefer the numeric 911 over the Carrera, and maybe that's because my background is accounting/finance, and thus I like numbers (although I didn't even think of it from that standpoint prior to purchase). I have always liked the 911 on the rear of the 40th anniversary 996's and on some of the newer 997's. Very simple and classic. It's the first thing I notice or look for when driving behind a 911 (is it an S, a GTS, 4s, etc.). I will say that the chrome finish on the new 911 emblem does give it more "pop" as the silver paint on my Carrera emblem tended to blend in with the lapis blue paint. So, there is a visual difference from that standpoint, and that may not be as much of an issue on other emblem/paint combinations (not that some owners will even give a hoot). I've only owned this 996 for just under a year so I've been doing a few things here to "make it mine", and while it doesn't impact the driving experience like installing a short shift, aftermarket exhaust, or ECU flash, I'm still extremely happy with the way it turned out.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure it's an upgrade- just a mod. PORSCHE 911 CARRERA is too wordy for me.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 AM
TexasZ is on a distinguished road
I think it's cool just to have 911 on it.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Ersel is on a distinguished road
Did you buy the "911" from Porsche...if so how much $?
Also, how easy is it to remove "Carrera" & how did you do it?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:46 PM
GoAirforce84 will become famous soon enoughGoAirforce84 will become famous soon enough
See avatar...Car only says "carrera" on the back, so I got specific the first time a non-enthusiast asked how I like my boxster. LOL

Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 PM
JL993 is a jewel in the roughJL993 is a jewel in the roughJL993 is a jewel in the rough
I think that Porsche is trying to accomplish the "retro look" on the rr emblems as per the 60s and 70s when they used to have the square P O R S C H E Lettering and model name on the Rr of the car.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
your call. but to me it looks terrible.

i'm not a 991 hater, but if i were to get one i would debadge it immediately.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to 2012 rear emblems