996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Upgrading to 2012 rear emblems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Ersel is on a distinguished road
Upgrading to 2012 rear emblems

Anyone thought about upgrading their 996's rear letters/emblem to the 2012s?
I like the look of the 2012 "PORSCHE 911 CARRERA" versus our "CARRERA."

Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
jefe_not is on a distinguished road
Yes, I really like that look, too. I'll start saving, the new 2012 911 will start depreciating, and eventually I'll upgrade...

Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
SoCal_02_911Cab is on a distinguished road
Yes actually, I already ordered just the 911 (not the Porsche or Carrera portion). Even prior to the 991 model, I had planned on replacing the Carrera on my 996 with the 911 emblem, similar to what was on the Silver 40th Anniversary edition. I like that look a lot. I checked Bumperplugs.com (ordered my B&M short shifter there earlier, and noticed they had emblems and such), and asked a few questions about their 911 emblem. Erik sent me a comparison photo of the painted Silver that they typically sell, but then mentioned that they also have the new 991 series emblem, that is direct from Porsche (vs. their version which they paint). I decided to go with the newer version since it's more sharp looking and the chrome matches my rear tips. Plus, it's smaller and I was worried it might not fit flush since the back end curves a bit. It is more expensive though. Anyway, it recently arrived and I'll post some pics once I get it installed. Attached is a comparison of the two versions they sell, which Eric sent me so I could make the best decision for myself.

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think it looks nice on the new car, I just think it's branding overkill. "Porsche 911 Carrera" is really trying to pack three brands onto a small rear area. Everyone who sees the car knows it's a Porsche because of the iconic shape. Most, if not all, people recognize it as a 911. I think it should just say 911, just say Porsche or just say Carrera. Three brands is too much.

Obviously it's just my opinion. Others will have different opinions.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 AM
DRKNGHT will become famous soon enoughDRKNGHT will become famous soon enough
I like the look!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM
trisgale is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think it looks nice on the new car, I just think it's branding overkill. "Porsche 911 Carrera" is really trying to pack three brands onto a small rear area. Everyone who sees the car knows it's a Porsche because of the iconic shape. Most, if not all, people recognize it as a 911. I think it should just say 911, just say Porsche or just say Carrera. Three brands is too much.

Obviously it's just my opinion. Others will have different opinions.
+1

Its like putting "porsche" on your personalized license plate. pretty sure everyone knows

Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely a mouthful on the tail end....we sell them separately, so if you wanted just the PORSCHE lettering, or just the 911, or just the Carrera and/or S, we have them available.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Ersel is on a distinguished road
I guess I like the look because it is new and different. I agree it is a little overkill

I would be interested in the "911 Carrera" script, but I would want the same exact one (size, font, color) that is on the '12. Eric do you have that available? Also, how hard is it for us to remove "Carrera" on our 996's and how is that done?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Dennis, I agree with you. I don't think it's as "clean" of a look as a simple "Carrera", "Carrera 4S" (one of my favorites due to the stylized red 'S'), "911", or "turbo" script. Way too busy and cluttered, in my opinion.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
I would get the "911" badge only...

Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 AM
FLi GLi will become famous soon enough
I wish Porsche would sell a license plate frame with "911" on it. They only sell "Carrera" or "Porsche", both of which are already branded on the back of my car. I don't want to duplicate words.

The parts guy at my local dealer said the reason Porsched doesn't sell a "911" plate frame is because the car isn't recognized as a 911 by Porsche, its called a Carrera. Which is obviously a load of crap, given the badging on the 991.

I'm hoping with the new badging on the 991, a "911" plate frame might become available. The aftermarket 911 plate frames on eBay look too cheap.

/rant

Cheers,
FLi

Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I bought a license plate frame at my dealer that says: There Is No Substitute

I'm quite pleased with that...

Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM
SeriousBear is on a distinguished road
I like the new look

Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 AM
FLi GLi will become famous soon enough
I bought a license plate frame at my dealer that says: There Is No Substitute

I'm quite pleased with that...
Interesting.

I still prefer "911". However, I did see someone with a PCA plate frame at a recent PCA event. It looked pretty good quality. Might check into that.

Cheers,

FLi

Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 AM
bella1 is on a distinguished road
Rear Badge

Two words come to my mind! Verbose and RearBadgeDelete!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to 2012 rear emblems