996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Engine Compartment Fan Blower Message..but fan working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
150shot is on a distinguished road
Engine Compartment Fan Blower Message..but fan working

I seem to be getting this message on the dash when sitting in traffic or slow moving ( drive thru ) problem is fan is working, and also when I park it fan turns on as usual.

Message and the red light goes off after I start driving normally. thanks anyone.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 AM
mjp911 will become famous soon enough
This is normal - if the temp inside the engine caompartment exceeds a certain value (I forget the exact temp) the car thinks the purge fan is not working and sets off the alert. It should clear when the temp drops.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 AM
logray will become famous soon enoughlogray will become famous soon enough
What does the engine temp gauge read on your dash when it turns on?

Also, you should check to make sure your engine compartment temp sensor hasn't come loose and is resting on the engine or other hot part. This could be causing the fan to come on unnecessarily. If it is actually coming on due to being that hot, there could be a different problem.

The compartment sensor is #12 in the diagram, it should be in a rubber grommet right on top of the engine between the #4 & #5 intake plenums. You can't miss it, the connector easily seen just by opening your engine bay lid.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...79#entry206679

"Switch-on conditions for engine compartment fan (this fan pulls air into the engine compartment) The engine compartment fan is switched on when the engine compartment temperature is > 176 degrees F or the coolant temperature is > 216 degrees F.
If the ignition is switched off and the engine compartment temperature is more than 140 degrees F, the DME control module remains in readiness for another 20 minutes. During this time, the engine compartment temperature is retrieved every 10 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is > 185 degrees F, the engine compartment fan is switched on for 20 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is still > 185 degrees F after this time, the fan remains on for a further 30 seconds."

Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Bill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura aboutBill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura aboutBill LeVasseur has a spectacular aura about
Found it!

Thanks for the great reply. I just got home, and my fan was still running. Decided to do a quick google search, found this post, went to the garage and found my sensor laying along the side of the engine...

Unfortunately the grommet is missing (just a clip there thats too big), so I've just tied it just above the engine where it should be. Time to track down a grommet...

Thanks again!!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Cuda911 will become famous soon enough
Bill, I just found the same thing this evening, and my grommet is missing too. Were you able to find one?

(OK, so, I know you posted this a year ago... should have left you plenty of hunting time! )

If so, can you let me know where and a part number? Thanks! (I checked Pelican and couldn't find it there)

Old 03-08-2015, 12:48 PM
rome5982 is on a distinguished road
Just had the same problem with mine. Noticed the fan was always on after driving any distance and would continue to run after I shut the car off, and it never used to do that. Was really getting worried about something causing excesssive engine temperature (even though coolant and oil temps were showing normal). Checked the engine compartment temperature sensor location and found that it was not there, it had fallen down and was resting closer to the exhaust manifold. No wonder it was running all the time. Found a replacement rubber gromet at Pelican parts for $3. Great thread, thanks!