996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

K&N Filter Help!!! Going through MAFs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 PM
mitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud of
K&N Filter Help!!! Going through MAFs

My K&N Intake is great however I would like to switch to the AEM filter. Does anyone have the size of it or the model number? Also I didnt believe the whole maf thing....Im on my third since install.
Thanks for all the help

Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 AM
stephan_porsche will become famous soon enough
I burned out 2 MAF's with the K&N Filter I had. I got rid of the K&N and NO more problems!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 AM
mitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud of
Which model of filter did you replace it with?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
I tried everything with the K&N Filter, it was brand new (never oiled), they came with so much oil on them from the factory, i tried drying it and that didnt work. Went through 2 MAF's and K&N blew me off. So I used the K&N Cold Air Intake with a BMC Dry Filter.

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Which model did you get?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 AM
omarresto is on a distinguished road
The very first time I installed my K&N intake it blew my MAF sensor. I hope it does not happen againlike stephan_porsche. Crossing my fingers right now

Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 AM
I dont remember the model number. This was a few years ago. I got tired of small horsepower bolt on mods and last year Turbocharged it.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Kris79 is on a distinguished road
measure the inlet size (diameter of the opening for the intake pipe), and go to a local tuner shop and ask for a dryflow from aem or injen, those dont use oil and for bout 75 bucks your problem is solved. if you dont have a local shop hit up a sponsor from this forum, and if u dont wanna do that pm me and ill hook u up.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 AM
SimonP5150 is on a distinguished road
Dont waste your money on a dry filter, been there done that.. It's the hot air that fouls the MAF's.. Been through a few and now back to stock and no more issues.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by SimonP5150
Dont waste your money on a dry filter, been there done that.. It's the hot air that fouls the MAF's.. Been through a few and now back to stock and no more issues.
Thats not true. Your saying a stock air-filter keeps your engine air cooler. All MAF's have a self cleaning/calibration function built it, on start up they heat to @900F, when the oil from a wet filter gets on the MAF wire, then it heats up it burns the wire up.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:46 AM
SimonP5150 is on a distinguished road
The annoying thing is that everytime I replaced a MAF I wiped the inside of the intake tube with a white cloth and no dirt or oil.. The only other logical reason MAF's are being eaten is the warmer air the K&N draws in since the stock airbox keeps the intake charge cooler by virtue of design. You can see the difference if you hook up the durametric and read the IAT.

mitdrx, you might try this setup with the BMC dry filter:
http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod76...-C4-1997-2004/

Careful it's easy to spend money on that website, I went there to get you the link and bought an underdrive pulley.

Hope everything works out.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM
swaff has a spectacular aura aboutswaff has a spectacular aura about
I had a Porsche mechanic tell me that it was ok to just not oil the K&N filter, and wash it out every 15k miles. He said they will work fine without oil, and to use the special K&N cleaner when you do have to wash it out. Spray on the cleaner, let it sit a few min, then wash out with a hose, and let it air dry completely.

Maybe this will work for some of you.

Swaff

Old 07-18-2014, 02:05 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Dont know if it helps, but I am running the car with Evoms Cai. never had a problem with CELīs or blown maf.

No oil in the filter, and works like a charm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005 (3).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	396807  
Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 PM
phantom works is on a distinguished road
I've been using a K&N CAI kit on my 911 for over 20k miles with no problems. I took the new filter wrapped it in newspaper inside and out left it overnight to soak up any excess oil then installed the filter.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by phantom works
I've been using a K&N CAI kit on my 911 for over 20k miles with no problems. I took the new filter wrapped it in newspaper inside and out left it overnight to soak up any excess oil then installed the filter.
I like this idea and will try it. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter Help!!! Going through MAFs